Exedy clutch

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Exedy clutch

Postby phatmonk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi,

By the power of the Internet and search I'm still having troubles working out which is the right clutch (and clutch kit!) to buy. Previously happy with Exedy, I'm happy to stay with them and their clutch finder coming up with:
FJK-8294 - 230mm
FJK-8658 - 240mm
For an MY07 GT-b.

Searching though posts, clutches are covered extensively. The part numbers (although search doesn't find them all too well!) are throughout other people's posts. So there is the amateur question, how do you know which size clutch is right?

Kits generally available in Australia don't have the alignment tool and definitely no flywheel. Available at a reasonable price in the US is FJK1001FW which seems to have it all. Checking the US site (https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-oem/exe ... 92930.aspx) it is a 230mm clutch, I can't find a 240mm option.

CMA have FJK1001FW and FJK1001 respectively listed at $1150 and $650. No flywheel - FJK1001 - has "2005-2009 Legacy GT requires the use of a 2006-2007 WRX flywheel for proper fitment" in the description...

I'm likely roll the dice on http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH ... 2135537700 but the size worries me...

Any help appreciated!

Cheers.
phatmonk

Car: MY07 Lib GTB, R33 GTR, Octavia vRS

Re: Exedy clutch

Postby BillyCorgi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Maybe we will find that the MY07 had two models....

The standard 2.5 L GT with the 5MT
The Spec-B GT with the 6MT transmission.
May explain why their are two clutch kits?

Otherwise, ring Excedy Direct and speak to the guys there.
They will sort you out with what kits fit what variations
EXEDY DIRECT 1800 439 339
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:51 pm

As a rule, 5MT = 230mm 6MT =240mm - Fitment for an STi will be the same as a 6MT.
5MT has a push clutch, 6MT has a pull.
There are however exceptions to the rule, because nothing is easy.

Just to correct Peter - There is no 5MT 2.5L GT, only the 5MT 2.0 GT and 6MT 2.5 GT Spec B.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby phatmonk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies.

HardwareBoB wrote:As a rule, 6MT =240mm - There are however exceptions to the rule, because nothing is easy..
*edited*

Everyone spoken to said the same thing. Instead of buying parts to find they don't fit, have booked it in at Northern Brakes and Clutch.
phatmonk

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Yeah, I had the same issue when I had Jim Berry make me a clutch. The Libs have a mishmash of Clutches (even in the same manufacturing year), and even Subaru can't tell you for sure what is in the car until they remove it.
I couldn't believe it either, but once I went through the process, I understood how random our cars are. The clutch experts will advise you the same. The sizes vary (230mm or 240mm I believe, push and pull type - although at least Pre Facelift seem to be the same and Post Facelift seem to as well). Dual mass flywheel on the Pre Facelift, and Single Mass on the Post FL.

So basically, pull the clutch out and see what you have. There's no other way.

Either plan for the downtime that brings, or go to a shop that is happy to get all types in, and return the ones that don't fit.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:57 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Yeah, I had the same issue when I had Jim Berry make me a clutch. The Libs have a mishmash of Clutches (even in the same manufacturing year), and even Subaru can't tell you for sure what is in the car until they remove it.
I couldn't believe it either, but once I went through the process, I understood how random our cars are. The clutch experts will advise you the same. The sizes vary (230mm or 240mm I believe, push and pull type - although at least Pre Facelift seem to be the same and Post Facelift seem to as well). Dual mass flywheel on the Pre Facelift, and Single Mass on the Post FL.

So basically, pull the clutch out and see what you have. There's no other way.

Either plan for the downtime that brings, or go to a shop that is happy to get all types in, and return the ones that don't fit.

To be fair, every 6MT lib that I know of has been a 240mm pull clutch except for one. ... but you can still be the one :) - There's also the catch of the flywheel bolts possibly being torx plus 50 (on the 5MT) - if you're doing it yourself on a weekend and you don't have the bit, you might be in a bit of a pickle. The 6MT also has more pressure plate bolts than the 5MT I found out when I didn't order enough. It's the little things!
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby phatmonk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 pm

The guys at Northern Brakes and Clutch did a bang up job.
phatmonk

Postby vinshonz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

phatmonk wrote:The guys at Northern Brakes and Clutch did a bang up job.

can you share the costs?
parts and labour charge... thanks
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby phatmonk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:26 pm

vinshonz wrote:can you share the costs?
parts and labour charge... thanks

I had a cracked CV boot replaced too. Change from $1500. Parts/labour not broken down on the invoice but price discussed before and during. I'd have to rate it as one of my better mechanic experiences. They even let me tinker on the car and parts while apart and on the hoist.

If you want the bad, it'll be they started the job late but work finished in the time frame they said. But I did drop it off unexpectedly, they had other jobs on and they are mechanics. If organised better I assume it would have started on time.
phatmonk

Return to 2.5T engine specific