Choosing Heads

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Choosing Heads

Postby andy_mac » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:34 pm

So wanting to pick a few brains on here regarding head choices.

Was originally going to just use my existing DAVCS heads on the Legacy but decided its a pain in the ass as the car will then be out of action for whatever time it takes to sort out so looking for some other ones to mate to the EJ257.

Turbo is going to be a HRC35/2 which is essentially a tweaked Holset HX35

Know someone with some V7 STI and BL/BP ones up for grabs so thinking they're the easiest options.
Obviously both options would need the combustion chamber altered to match the 257 bore. Guessing the V7 ones would have considerably larger port sizes out of the box so porting shouldn't be as critical as on BL/BP ones.

What kind of response loss would be expected going to the V7 ones with single AVCS over the Legacy DAVCS set?
And what kind of power can actually be achieved on the Legacy ones with minor work done to them? Think Mick was at about 270 with them on the 20x/y from memory.

Would have liked some V11 STI ones but chances of finding a set are pretty damn slim.

Also are there any other common models out there worth trying to source?
2000 JDM Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD
2006 JDM Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon
2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness
andy_mac

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298

Re: Choosing Heads

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:02 pm

The legacy heads are actually pretty good. I wouldn't be changing them except for some 08+ STi heads.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Return to 2.5T engine specific