Amateur hour questions and an intro

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Amateur hour questions and an intro

Postby phatmonk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:15 am

Hi all,

Long time non-member lurker, short time member and first post!

Owned a Gen4 MY07 GTB for three years now. Purchased from Subaru Docklands (Melbourne) and had it serviced there to keep warranty. Not a lot of good that did, but meh... My other rides are a Skoka Octavia VRS and Nissan Skyline R33 GTR. The Liberty is my daily - no bucket seats/police/fuel guzzling from the GTR and wife and four animals (two kids and two dogs) with the Octavia.

So, I'm getting my hands dirty and doing whatever servicing and repairs I can. Avoiding stories about the dealer services, now it's between the local mechanics and myself for the attention the Liberty needs.

Amateur hour questions. It has been ignorance is bliss with the Liberty spending no time under the bonnet. What I've gleamed from this site is:
Engine series is an EJ255.
2006 build but plated 2007 and hence referred to as MY07. Best to say it's an 06 Liberty GTB rather than an MY07.

Is that right?

My issue is finding parts. Plugs for instance, I was being pushed some weird long copper core plugs from a few places. Insisting they were wrong, NGK SILFR6A magically popped up. Lucky I searched the site for this :) Haven't replaced them yet because... Right now, I've replaced the fuel filter (totally ballsed it up, car doesn't start) but am looking for a fuel pump which I can't find the OEM one, let alone an OEM replacement. Not after a high volume pump, just need to replace the stock one. Not to mention how many places I went to for a Z717 fuel filter - it just wasn't on the shelves. Hey, it could just be me. I've also emailed Kobe Motorsport about their fuel pump too.

Anyhow, enough of the woes. More questions. Where do you go for part numbers and which shops do you frequent that generally has stock?

Thanks for your time, and even a bigger thanks for helping out!
phatmonk

Car: MY07 Lib GTB, R33 GTR, Octavia vRS

Re: Amateur hour questions and an intro

Postby BillyCorgi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:24 am

phatmonk wrote:Hi all,

Anyhow, enough of the woes. More questions. Where do you go for part numbers and which shops do you frequent that generally has stock?

If you want to find out part numbers of things, then there are two places you can go for just part numbers.
You can look at Opposed Forces - http://opposedforces.com/parts/
You can look at PartSouq (and load in your VIN) - https://partsouq.com/

PartSouq is a good place to buy complex parts, if you can plan your purchases and wait a few days for them to arrive.

I tend to buy parts when I do not need them and keep them in-stock until they are required.
The parts tend to be cheaper that way.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Adrian2627 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

phatmonk wrote:2006 build but plated 2007 and hence referred to as MY07. Best to say it's an 06 Liberty GTB rather than an MY07.

Is that right?

Your car is MY07 so you should be looking for parts for an 07 Lib. There were major changes between 06 and 07 models especially when it comes to under the bonnet. The entire engine configuration was changed. Capacity, turbo, exhaust, AVCS, trans, just to name the big stuff but that also meant changes for many of the supporting ancillaries.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:48 am

Just replace the pump with a Kobe 265L - you won't get an OEM replacement cheaper anyway. I buy my fuel filters from ebay, much easier. Almost nothing you want for your car will ever be in stock ANYWHERE.

You can also use http://amayama.com/ for parts partsouq.com doesn't have in stock.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby phatmonk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

HardwareBoB wrote:Just replace the pump with a Kobe 265L - you won't get an OEM replacement cheaper anyway. I buy my fuel filters from ebay, much easier. Almost nothing you want for your car will ever be in stock ANYWHERE.

I contacted Jack and he isn't back until the 31st. Needed the car working and ended up with a Goss GE271 (I think). Swapped out the pump. and she works :) The out of stock business is annoying!
I'll be keeping an eye on the Kobe parts tho :)

BillyCorgi wrote:If you want to find out part numbers of things, then there are two places you can go for just part numbers.
You can look at Opposed Forces - http://opposedforces.com/parts/
You can look at PartSouq (and load in your VIN) - https://partsouq.com/

Excellent. I'll have a look!

Adrian2627 wrote:our car is MY07 so you should be looking for parts for an 07 Lib. There were major changes .between 06 and 07....

Honestly, I'm confused. Dealer paperwork says built 2006 but MY07. When I look at Ryco/NGK/whatever part catalogs it up in the 2006. Anyhow, I'll keep that in mind when poking around sites and shops.

Again, thanks! It is time I spent some more time poking around this forum :)

Cheers
phatmonk

Postby Adrian2627 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:29 pm

phatmonk wrote:
Honestly, I'm confused. Dealer paperwork says built 2006 but MY07. When I look at Ryco/NGK/whatever part catalogs it up in the 2006. Anyhow, I'll keep that in mind when poking around sites and shops.

Again, thanks! It is time I spent some more time poking around this forum :)

Cheers

Some parts will carry over the model years, even different models Forester, Impreza etc. Here in Japan they don't use model years like we do down there when it comes to parts as the year/builds here start in May of the previous year, ie the 2017 Impreza being released in Aus now has been available here since May when the first public model rolled off the line. To ID model years here they use what is called the "Applied Code" which is found on your VIN plate. For example you'll find something like BP9Dxxx the BP being a Gen 4 wagon (it'll be BL if it's a sedan), 9 being the 2.5l engine (5 if it has a 2.0), and D being the all important applied code. If it does say D go with 07 if it says C then go with 06.
Adrian2627

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:49 am

Don't hesitate to contact me if u need advice, we have similar cars, late 06 my07 gt-b...
I've done heaps of basic upgrades & mods with forum advice :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby phatmonk » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:25 am

Adrian2627 wrote:To ID model years here they use what is called the "Applied Code" which is found on your VIN plate. For example you'll find something like BP9Dxxx the BP being a Gen 4 wagon (it'll be BL if it's a sedan), 9 being the 2.5l engine (5 if it has a 2.0), and D being the all important applied code. If it does say D go with 07 if it says C then go with 06.

The car's VIN is JF1BL9KH37G026802. It seems the applied code is K. Depends on the info, the K either means WRX/WEXT Sti or "General Destination (RHD)". If I had to pick one, well RHD of course! It doesn't play well with
Adrian2627 wrote:If it does say D go with 07 if it says C then go with 06.
:(

bigBADbenny wrote:Don't hesitate to contact me if u need advice, we have similar cars, late 06 my07 gt-b...

Will do!
phatmonk

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:56 am

Bl9 = Postfl sedan...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Adrian2627 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:40 pm

phatmonk wrote:
Adrian2627 wrote:To ID model years here they use what is called the "Applied Code" which is found on your VIN plate. For example you'll find something like BP9Dxxx the BP being a Gen 4 wagon (it'll be BL if it's a sedan), 9 being the 2.5l engine (5 if it has a 2.0), and D being the all important applied code. If it does say D go with 07 if it says C then go with 06.

The car's VIN is JF1BL9KH37G026802. It seems the applied code is K. Depends on the info, the K either means WRX/WEXT Sti or "General Destination (RHD)". If I had to pick one, well RHD of course! It doesn't play well with
Adrian2627 wrote:If it does say D go with 07 if it says C then go with 06.
:(

bigBADbenny wrote:Don't hesitate to contact me if u need advice, we have similar cars, late 06 my07 gt-b...

Will do!

You're looking at the VIN not the applied code. Have a look at the VIN plate again and you will see the VIN number and also the applied code which will look like the start of your VIN but with fewer numbers.

However, as Ben pointed out BL9at beginning of your VIN indicates a post-facelift, in AUS MY07, 2.5L sedan.

I explained it all here with a sample VIN plate. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25737
Adrian2627

Return to 2.5T engine specific