Do later model STi engines and drivelines fit GT Gen4 libs?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Do later model STi engines and drivelines fit GT Gen4 libs?

Postby triston » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi All,

As some may know my engine has died, currently looking at my options, which include selling as is or fixing.

As a second hand liberty engine looks to be around 3-4k plus install. Does anyone know if the later model (2013-2016) model wrx sti engines fit our cars? Do their gearboxes fit (my gearbox has some issues too)?

I assume there is a tone of reasons why this wouldn't be cost effective. but just pondering options
triston

Car: 08 GT-B tuned by Sti

Re: Do later model STi engines and drivelines fit GT Gen4 li

Postby owen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Yes, later model STI running gear will fit if you transfer the ECU, loom, cluster, BIU etc over.

You'll also have DCCD and a front LSD. Do it :D
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby triston » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:01 pm

owen wrote:Yes, later model STI running gear will fit if you transfer the ECU, loom, cluster, BIU etc over.

You'll also have DCCD and a front LSD. Do it :D

I would do it at the right cost. and if I could find the parts i.e need an sti Half cut I suppose then someone to do the install / conversion

DO you work at Garage88? what are my options?
triston

Postby crazyricochet » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:45 pm

I wouldn't really bother trying to sell the car with a dead engine as people will value it at pretty much nothing even though it's a nice tbsti :(
Unless you found the right buyer which could happen but is unlikely.

So that leaves fixing and flipping or fixing and keeping?

Fixing and keeping:
As Owen said, a 2008 onwards 6 Speed STI gearbox alone will fit right in with no modifications, the post face GTBs also use the same R180 torsen rear diff as the STIs.
The cost of investigation and repair of your transmission could possibly be more than a 2nd hand box that's in good working order. It's somewhat of a gamble either way unfortunately.

The DCCD and front LSD is definitely a nice bonus, I got a GR STI (08/09) gearbox with 33,000km installed in my car by god they are hard to track down
If you have the budget go crazy and spend even more money to upgrade your rear diff and install a DCCD controller (Otherwise the power split will stay fixed at 60% rear/40% front but it is not needed to function at all)

Regarding the engine, I'd be inclined to re use what you can do it properly, new 257 bottom end, build it, get it tuned it and go.

Car will :D :D :D :D for a long time - it's the current plan for my own car, my stock engine is still ticking along fine though fingers crossed

Fixing and flipping:
Leave gearbox alone, throw some money at it to install a 2nd hand engine then cut your losses and sell up.
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby triston » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:16 pm

crazyricochet wrote:Fixing and keeping:
As Owen said, a 2008 onwards 6 Speed STI gearbox alone will fit right in with no modifications, the post face GTBs also use the same R180 torsen rear diff as the STIs.
The cost of investigation and repair of your transmission could possibly be more than a 2nd hand box that's in good working order. It's somewhat of a gamble either way unfortunately.

The DCCD and front LSD is definitely a nice bonus, I got a GR STI (08/09) gearbox with 33,000km installed in my car by god they are hard to track down
If you have the budget go crazy and spend even more money to upgrade your rear diff and install a DCCD controller (Otherwise the power split will stay fixed at 60% rear/40% front but it is not needed to function at all)

Thanks crazyricochet, so you have a gearbox out of an STI and it is a direct fit without the need for anything else?

I'm considering the sti ej257 short block, but with the potential other engine issues, it could become to costly - Ej257 block installed + heads serviced is looking at $5,800
triston

Postby ferret89 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:40 am

triston wrote:
crazyricochet wrote:Fixing and keeping:

Thanks crazyricochet, so you have a gearbox out of an STI and it is a direct fit without the need for anything else?

I'm considering the sti ej257 short block, but with the potential other engine issues, it could become to costly - Ej257 block installed + heads serviced is looking at $5,800

That's a fairly reasonable quote, its unfortunately the best option I think because no one wants a car with a rooted engine

I did that, had a EJ257 short block put in with my heads. Upgrade your head studs and oil pickup at the same time if you can afford the extra outlay
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby crazyricochet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:46 pm

That's correct ferret, and yes no mods required to fit the sti box
crazyricochet

Postby Jake.h71 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:08 pm

I want a Tbsti with a blown engine! :D :P
Jake.h71

Car: o4 liberty

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:02 pm

The "just fix it" option is a new 257 short block, but you can fit anything with enough effort.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby triston » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:41 pm

[quote="crazyricochet"
Fixing and keeping:
[/quote]

I know 2008 -2013 fit, but does the latest sti 6 speed 'plug & play' (minus dccd) i.e. 2014-2016?
triston

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:48 pm

triston wrote:[quote="crazyricochet"
Fixing and keeping:

I know 2008 -2013 fit, but does the latest sti 6 speed 'plug & play' (minus dccd) i.e. 2014-2016?[/quote]

No need to minus DCCD - Just get a controller, DCCD pro or map DCCD. The newer ones I believe haven't changed either (for STi)
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:47 pm

My15+ sti has open front diff, DCCD centre diff, torsen rear...
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ad ... in-detail/
Making the G3 sti box the more desirable choice for some as its' torsen front, DCCD centre, and 1.1 output ratio to suit the manual Postfl GTb torsen rear diff, or upgrade to the G3 sti plate rear diff, both 3.54 ratio as opposed to the G2 sti 3.9 rear diff...
If buying from Japan remember their sti 6mts are shorter ratio in 5th & 6th than adm STi or GTb...
Even more desirable might be the adm hawkeye g2 sti box...
All the fruit inc more rear biased DCCD, long ratio, iirc torsen front diff but you'll need a 3.9 diff, put 3.9 ring and pinion in your r180 torsen.
But really any Sti box would be FUN.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby crazyricochet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Can confirm, is fun
crazyricochet

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:28 am

Moar buttons to play with? :P