08 GT STI ticking time bomb?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: 08 GT STI ticking time bomb?

Postby vinshonz » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:15 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:A rego check from your local authority eg VicRoads will get you that data, eg original vin & eng #'s...

i know the cars VIN and engine number, what can i do with it?
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby ferret89 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:15 pm

vinshonz wrote:
bigBADbenny wrote:A rego check from your local authority eg VicRoads will get you that data, eg original vin & eng #'s...

i know the cars VIN and engine number, what can i do with it?

I'd give your local transport department a call and ask if they can direct you someplace to look yourself or if they can look it up over the phone if your engine number has ever been changed for that car. When I had my replacement engine put in, I had to provide a letter from my mechanic with the new engine number on it so they could update the car's details on their system. So your local department should have similar if a dealership has replaced the block on the car, heck even Subaru would probably have that information...
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Surge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Or you might be able to just look at the top of your engine, right where it meets the bell housing of the gearbox.

There should be the engine number on that part of the block. If it's different to the original number then that would be a good sign I guess.

Here is an example of where the number is found on the block:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... cnTqV8KCaw
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby vinshonz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 pm

Surge wrote:Or you might be able to just look at the top of your engine, right where it meets the bell housing of the gearbox.

There should be the engine number on that part of the block. If it's different to the original number then that would be a good sign I guess.

Here is an example of where the number is found on the block:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... cnTqV8KCaw

not mechanically minded but do i need to take off engine cover and tmic to see that?
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby Clintski » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm

crazyricochet wrote:I've got an early MY08 build tbsti - stock motor on 137,000km still going tuned with common mods pushing out some extra kw than stock

Always joke about it going to blow up, the vin number I think was within that recall range for the big end bearings

Serviced every 12,500km before I owned it, now every 3-5000km and also had every single fluid and service item has been replaced in the last 12-18 months - Just because it makes me feel better knowing it's been done.

Hi I know this an old post but does anyone know the link to check the VIN number as above??
Is this a check for TBSTI's only, or does it apply to GTB''s also?
Any extra information on this would be appreciated thanks.
Clintski

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 pm

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registr ... on-enquiry

Plug in your rego, compare the engine # to your block and compliance plate.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Clintski » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:40 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/buy-sell-or-transfer-a-vehicle/check-vehicle-registration/vehicle-registration-enquiry

Plug in your rego, compare the engine # to your block and compliance plate.

how do you know the VIN is within that recall range for the big end bearings as per above??
Clintski

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Well, I don't, but you could start by googling it.
I don't know the details, eg Subaru may have had an actual recall, or took care of customers on a case by case basis.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific