Turbo Compatibility

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Turbo Compatibility

Postby dr20t » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:46 pm

shav wrote:Love the way you talk turbo's Mick. Gets me all moist.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen the Kinugawa TD-05 16g's on ebay for a decent price. Would you recommend there or elsewhere? Also 7cm or 8cm?

7cm for stock headers and upipe and 98 fuel.

8cm if running headers and e85 (which gives you less backpressure and alot better midrange potential)

You can try go direct from the kinugawa website.

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby dr20t » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 pm

And if you realy want to blow your socks off

Kinugawa/ Kando / PSR twin scroll headers
Kinugawa Twin scroll td05h housing with internal gate
Kinugawa td05-18g
Upgraded 1 bar wastegate actuator
Id1000 injectors
Dw65c
E85
3" Tbe (would need twin scroll bell mouth from kinugawa also)
Tune to suit

On 22psi this would make 220-230awkw and achieve full boost by 2800rpm. Would be an absolute machine off throttle and annihilate most things on the road from 0-120kmh

dr20t

Postby mpoli » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:27 am

That link I posted I just use as a rough guide, made it easier for me to just go thru and figure out what to expect for which sizes etc.
Having a more updated list would be awesome.
I agree with how your saying that you would recommend only the minimum turbo needed. Been one of the main parts in any build I believe they should be making the end choice as this will make them research more to needs.
mpoli

Car: 07 Liberty GT tbSTI

Postby shav » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:01 am

dr20t wrote:
7cm for stock headers and upipe and 98 fuel.

8cm if running headers and e85 (which gives you less backpressure and alot better midrange potential)

You can try go direct from the kinugawa website.

Mick

Makes sense. I have stock up pipe (that I know of) but I have TBE with Invidia DP & full 3" system. So 7cm should work ok for this application. I also have 255lph Kobe fuel pump fitted. But stock injectors. I run P100 fuel almost all of the time too. No easy access to E85 here. Its a good 40min drive away so not really bothered about it unless I get a flex fuel tune. Not gonna bother tbh.

Im just hoping for much stronger mid range and top end without sacrificing too much bottom end grunt like I am used to feeling with the VF46.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Lane » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Care to elaborate on the 7cm vs 8cm point?

Many of the threads during my research seem to favour the latter for numerous reasons.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby shav » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Lane wrote:Care to elaborate on the 7cm vs 8cm point?

Many of the threads during my research seem to favour the latter for numerous reasons.

I beleive the sizes have a lot to with when the turbo reaches maximum spool? 7cm for low down in the rev range, 8cm for med to higher up in the rev range?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Lane » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:47 am

Understood, however I was after DR20T's explanation for his advice on the 7cm, I realise it is completely dependant on the individuals set up and goals.

Some posts here favouring the 8cm for the 2.5's, I realise that they are just internet posts however the posters seem to have a sound grasp of the concepts so interested in Mick's opinion on this.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... 258&page=2 post #36 and #38 from Defiant Autospeed

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894516 Post #19
Lane

Postby dr20t » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:01 am

With stock headers and uppipe, your restriction is in the headers and uppipe. So by going to an 8cm, you still have a backpressure source in the stock headers and uppipe

Let me give you this example -

2 inch pipe taped to the end of a straw. Your flow and pressure limitaion is in the straw. So changing the 2" pipe to 3" wont introduce or alleviate additional pressure pre turbo.

Turbos spool off a combination of heat, flow and pressure (which are not mutually exclusive and dependent on one another).

Pressure is one of the most important factors, as the lower the backpressure, the more your engine can operate as close to a naturally aspirated engine as possible. However, in simple terms of a relatively mild setup, without optimising the engine dynamics to improve its aspirated VE (that is for most people on this forum), the best way to regulate spool is by sizing your turbo exhaust housing accordingly.

By keeping stock headers and uppipe, the 8cm won't achieve a difference in power that would warrant losing some of the spool or backpressure.

You're also knock limited on 98 which does play into this.

Also (beyond the scope of this thread discussion), there is a very strong correlation between pressure, pulses, harmonics and heat that are always dynamically at play to impact performance.

Happy to discuss further.

Mick

dr20t

Postby Lane » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks mate, I really appreciate your time and effort in responding, I haven't had a turbocharged car in 15 years and much has changed.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the TD05-18G 7cm.
Lane

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific