GT Spec-B 300KW Setup

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: GT Spec-B 300KW Setup

Postby Wolfanized » Thu May 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Adrian2627 wrote:I would consider an oil cooler as well. Sydney can get pretty hot and if you do head to Wakefield for a track day it would really help. You're on the right track with a WTA IC so increase that insurance with an oil cooler.

Bearings, from oil starvation, and ring lands, from knock events, are the major issues in a built, or even stock EJ25. So building your engine with these in mind is where you want to start. Oil starvation often comes from the standard pickup mount failing hence why Killer B made an upgraded version. If you are opening your engine installing one of them would be a good idea. Knock events speak for themselves in finding a good tuner who knows where the thresholds are. Solid boost control and ensuring the AVCS system is tip top will go a long way to reducing knock.

Suspension wise look at MCA Blues or Shockworks for quality coilovers. I'm just about to put HKS Hipermax Max IV GTs in my wagon but I'm in Japan so they are relitively cheap but had I been back home MCA Blues would be the go for me. You've already mentioned LCA bushes so while you are there a little bracing will go a long way. If you go with coilovers I wouldn't worry about the swaybars. On the street the firmer springs will take care of body roll and the sway bars will just mess up ride comfort. On a track day just dial up your damping which is the whole point of adjustable dampers.

For brakes you're well on the way but adding some good high temp fluid and a master cylinder brace will complete the package. If you do plan on regular track days maybe look at Brembos, Alcon, AP, or Endless.

Will definitely look into an Oil Cooler, It was on my mind but wasn't really sure about it.. May not go on right away but i will definitely have one installed.

Good advice on the swaybars, I can use that money for a Killer B Oil Pickup.. Happen to know rough costs of one? Tuning will be done by MSR and I have been sure to include a Boost Solenoid and EBC.

Picking up good advice here that i am really appreciating.

So far I will probably if not indefinitely lowering my goals to 270kw, I will be fitting an STI Water Pump and will be fitting an upgraded Oil Pickup with the money saved by not fitting aftermarket swaybars.
Wolfanized

Car: 08' Liberty GT Spec-B

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Wolfanized wrote:I also noticed you have a Spec-B also (albeit wagon) and are running a GTX3067 or similar turbo as well as a twist mount setup. How do you find the responsiveness and overall feel?

That i do! low down is no good, so you really have to pick your gears. Up top is great! Spool is also pretty good! im still running stock internals so its over spec'd for the engine. For a 270kw build it will be good. Check out my dyno graph on the build page to see spool upto 15 psi.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby ndlibgt » Thu May 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Definitely recommend the killer b oil pick up & sump as mentioned in earlier post. Good luck with the build.
ndlibgt

Car: 04 GT

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 05, 2016 11:46 pm

The tipping point between builds has been established as new 257 short on stock reco heads, bb turbo, ID1000s & fmic etc plus supporting mods for 250-300 atw for a sub 10kish build price,
Or step up to cd forged short and cnc heads, plus ts high or low mount, id13000+, surge tank etc for 300-400+ atw for 15-20k.

Those prices probably don't include labor lol ;(
Spend your $$$ very carefully and DIY as much as possible.
It really adds up as all systems will require upgrading or maintenance, so doing things just once to fulfill your application becomes paramount.

I believe the lower budget scenario is perfectly adequate bordering on scary solution for a reliable street and occasional track car.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Wolfanized » Fri May 06, 2016 12:37 am

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:
Wolfanized wrote:I also noticed you have a Spec-B also (albeit wagon) and are running a GTX3067 or similar turbo as well as a twist mount setup. How do you find the responsiveness and overall feel?

That i do! low down is no good, so you really have to pick your gears. Up top is great! Spool is also pretty good! im still running stock internals so its over spec'd for the engine. For a 270kw build it will be good. Check out my dyno graph on the build page to see spool upto 15 psi.

That's fine! I usually row through gears and keep revs up aswell as always downshift before cornering anyway. Sounds like im going to be happy.
Wolfanized

Postby Wolfanized » Fri May 06, 2016 12:48 am

bigBADbenny wrote:The tipping point between builds has been established as new 257 short on stock reco heads, bb turbo, ID1000s & fmic etc plus supporting mods for 250-300 atw for a sub 10kish build price,
Or step up to cd forged short and cnc heads, plus ts high or low mount, id13000+, surge tank etc for 300-400+ atw for 15-20k.

Those prices probably don't include labor lol ;(
Spend your $$$ very carefully and DIY as much as possible.
It really adds up as all systems will require upgrading or maintenance, so doing things just once to fulfill your application becomes paramount.

I believe the lower budget scenario is perfectly adequate bordering on scary solution for a reliable street and occasional track car.

Are you saying to go for an entirely different EJ257 build?

I honestly don't see why people are so afraid to build the 255 and swear by the 257.. I have had a JDM 207 before but won't be going down that path again.

I am not even considering changing blocks seeing as I can achieve the same results using a built 255 and achieve equal if not greater reliability and customisation. FMIC isn't worth it when considering spool up and the day to day running of the car as well as track temps when compared to a Water to Air.

I would also like to say that the 10k budget for the work you listed would leave much to be desired amd many corners cut as I had a similar situation building a crate 207, heads, turbo, supporting mods etc and parts alone came to vastly over $10,000 excluding labor.

I understand that realistically big power is made through headwork but I am not chasing such things and still require the car to be a daily driver, Changing heads and looking into port, polishing and cam setups aren't feasible nor cost efficient.

Essentially the purpose this thread was made for has been accomplished, As a discussion point to pickup parts I have left out or overlooked on a setup that has been tried and tested by many before and like myself. The invaluable advice regarding abolishing of sway bars, STI water pump and an aftermarket oil pump are the extra little things I was hoping to learn.

However please don't take this as not appreciating your input. Also my apologies if I read your post incorrectly.
Wolfanized

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 06, 2016 7:58 am

Sure I'm not talking absolutes but look at Owens and Alex Chubbs cars... Fun cars on 257 shorts with supporting mods.
I'm doing similar with a DIY stock reco 255, looking to support 250atw but run it at 200 or so.
The engines are fine, it's the tune and support that really matter IMHO...

I'd just say that if you're going to the trouble of an engine reco with forged bits, it would be a pity to not pay the extra 1k for closed decking.

I'll have to reread the thread but what's the proposed budget and workshop if reqd?
I'd recommend getting your list together and get a second opinion from Owen at Garage88 as he's very familiar with both rebuild scenarios. :)
Last edited by bigBADbenny on Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigBADbenny

Postby Wolfanized » Fri May 06, 2016 10:45 am

Workshop is Michael South Engineering (MSR)

Budget is around $25k, As that's what I have for every aspect of the car including certificates for required work.
Wolfanized

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 am

Keen to see the final list.
Surely you'd go for ID1000's/parallel lines, which seem to be the go-to solution for sub 300atw builds?
bigBADbenny

Postby Wolfanized » Fri May 06, 2016 11:22 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Keen to see the final list.
Surely you'd go for ID1000's/parallel lines, which seem to be the go-to solution for sub 300atw builds?

Will definitely give regular updates and post final list as changes happen.

Won't be going ID1000s, Will be using DW 850s, No parallel lines planned for immediate build.
Wolfanized

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Iirc, DW850's = ID1000's :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby jacks-GTB » Fri May 06, 2016 6:12 pm

hey mate....goos to see another big build happening....and in NSW :D

Along with BBB, and MSR would definitely go ID1000 over the DW850...

with your 25k budget I would definitely think that you would be able to go CD & 14mm Headstuds...

300kw would handle that setup you want....but if you are doing a track day monthly than that motor would not last very long....do it right the first time or you'll be doing it again

Don't quote me, but I'm not sure if michael will do another WTA setup, a lot of work....but if your willing to pay, anything goes :D

a TMIC with a water sprayer setup and pressure switch will go great...

also stay internally gated, otherwise more money to spend on ex-gated..plus you don't twist mount...but again, if you want it then money is the answer

heres my opinion

Built motor
Forge Pistons - CP
I-beams - NITTO
TGV deletes
14mm studs
CD
Kelford cam 264's
valve springs
CNC heads will add a large amount, so maybe not

Induction
PW Intake
New Ceramic bearing Blouch 2.5xtr 10cm should get you to 300kw 98

Cooling
PW Intercooler with water sprayer
3 row radiator - Mishimoto

Fuel
ID1000 or 1300's for e85 setup
walbro 460 hardwired

Also if your in sydney you might as well go e85 too...who knows by that time MSR might have the new flex fuel definitions for our cars...
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby Wolfanized » Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 pm

jacks-GTB wrote:hey mate....goos to see another big build happening....and in NSW :D

Along with BBB, and MSR would definitely go ID1000 over the DW850...

with your 25k budget I would definitely think that you would be able to go CD & 14mm Headstuds...

300kw would handle that setup you want....but if you are doing a track day monthly than that motor would not last very long....do it right the first time or you'll be doing it again

Don't quote me, but I'm not sure if michael will do another WTA setup, a lot of work....but if your willing to pay, anything goes :D

a TMIC with a water sprayer setup and pressure switch will go great...

also stay internally gated, otherwise more money to spend on ex-gated..plus you don't twist mount...but again, if you want it then money is the answer

heres my opinion

Built motor
Forge Pistons - CP
I-beams - NITTO
TGV deletes
14mm studs
CD
Kelford cam 264's
valve springs
CNC heads will add a large amount, so maybe not

Induction
PW Intake
New Ceramic bearing Blouch 2.5xtr 10cm should get you to 300kw 98

Cooling
PW Intercooler with water sprayer
3 row radiator - Mishimoto

Fuel
ID1000 or 1300's for e85 setup
walbro 460 hardwired

Also if your in sydney you might as well go e85 too...who knows by that time MSR might have the new flex fuel definitions for our cars...

Unsure what BBB is?

Yeah I know the DW850s are similar to the ID1000s, If I end up using MSR and he wants to use them then so be it, Only a minor change.

I may be in Sydney but there is a 0% chance I am going E85 being a daily driver and flex tune does not appeal to me. The same goes for Mishimoto as I won't be using them again as they are cheap, unreliable and inefficient garbage which have only caused me issues in my previous WRX build. I already have a PWR Performance Parts Hi-Flow radiator installed on the car as part of a major service when first buying it.

I don't understand the reasoning behind not twist mounting, If I had already accounted for it and the budget it is just another increase to responsiveness and ease of use should I wish to change turbos in the future, which heavily ties in to do it once, do it right. The external gate also helps greatly with boost creeping.

If MSR are unable to supply another Water to Air I will have to look into alternatives, However I have spoken to other workshops who will also happily fabricate and pipe up such a system or I could use a Process West TMIC with water spray however would be a last resort. Simply I won't ever go Front Mount

I'm probably more so leaning towards the 270kw range now, but even more so definitely won't be doing head work as I would like to keeo the build simple, and am not interested in cams for this power range. Track days are of the least concern and lowest priority for the build, If once a month is excessive I will cut down on them. Ideally as stated the car is a daily driver with the added benefit of being potent at the track.
Wolfanized

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 am

Btw there's a top torque sleeved short up for grabs on Wrx club atm...
Team it up w/ micks vee band setup and let rip!

An interesting option would be to go turnkey package shopping within your budget at the leading shoppes, eg msr, g88, et al...
bigBADbenny

Postby Wolfanized » Sat May 07, 2016 1:19 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Btw there's a top torque sleeved short up for grabs on Wrx club atm...
Team it up w/ micks vee band setup and let rip!

An interesting option would be to go turnkey package shopping within your budget at the leading shoppes, eg msr, g88, et al...

I have considered this but seeing as my budget is inclusive of suspension, brakes and engine I wouldn't really get much more for my money where as with some careful yet informed selections and a little DIY where feasible I can make my dollar go further.

I think I will be sticking with my original build plan with the addition of Oil Pickup, Water Pump, Loss of swaybars amd a reduced power goal of 270kw, As well as a possibility for Top Mount Intercooler over a Water to Air if MSR are unable to provide me with one and other shop alternatives simply take too long.

It's not yet confirmed that work will even be completed by MSR, He is simply best Sydney based pick. Rising Sun Subaru would be my ultimate pick as I have dealt with Kris before and he has shipped parts and blocks for many people I know, Unfortunately he is interstate.

Main options are:

MSR
Ichiban
Autotech
Wolfanized

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific