Absolutely love my new Gt Spec b but...

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Absolutely love my new Gt Spec b but...

Postby Nineties_kid88 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Hey guys. I just brought a my07 Liberty GT Spec b. I was originally looking at wrxs but the liberty just felt more "refined" if you know what I mean.

Anyway I'm look at doing some mods but don't really have the tools/know how to DYI. My main aim is to minimise the bloody turbo lag! The only other turbo car I've driven is the missus' xr5 and that has virtually no lag. The liberty feels quite sluggish when you first plant your foot compared to that thing.
And the other thing I'm looking for is a little bit more noise.
I'm in Bendigo Vic which is close to Melbourne. Can you guys recommend any tuners in the Melb area that can help me out. I was looking at MTR but I'm a bit iffy after reading what some ppl on here say about them.

This is my daily driver but I have a second car (a 99 liberty) so while I'll miss my new lib, it's no biggy if I have to leave it at a workshop for a while. I don't really have any budget in mind.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Nineties_kid88

Re: Absolutely love my new Gt Spec b but...

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon May 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Welcome mate, firstly; lag on stock turbo? pardon! is this vehicle of yours an auto or manual?

Manuals came with the VF46 which has been engineered for minimal lag.

Cant help all too much with mechanics, RevZone seems popular but he is a fair whack from you.

Sound can be achieved with new mufflers or a catback or a turbo back exhaust. Take your pick on price and performance.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Nineties_kid88 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Cheers. It's a manual
I may be getting my terminology wrong. I'm no expert when it comes to turbo engines or engines in general. But to my mind there is a noticeable lack of bottom end power. Which I thought came from the time it takes for the turbo to spool up
(turbo lag). I'm probably way off the mark so feel free to correct me.

Might have to drag her xr5 and see which gets off the line quicker :wink: then I'll know if it's all my head or not.
Nineties_kid88

Postby Manaz » Mon May 02, 2016 3:33 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Welcome mate, firstly; lag on stock turbo? pardon! is this vehicle of yours an auto or manual?

Manuals came with the VF46 which has been engineered for minimal lag.

All post-FL (MY07-MY09) GTs/GT Spec.Bs/TbSTIs came with the VF46, regardless of gearbox. The auto actually helps to "hide" the lag a bit if anything.

A tune will help reduce lag, as well as replacing the air intake path and removing the restrictive stock downpipe. E85 will improve it further if that's something you're interested in.

Matt/Kido_Tune does remote tuning, but obviously can't help you to do the mechanical work. Changing intake/downpipe IS possibly DIY, though not necessarily easy.

One issue you get with getting off the line with an AWD car is that you need more revs, otherwise the engine bogs down due to sudden introduction of load. In a FWD car, you much more easily get wheelspin - and controlled wheelspin can actually help you get off the line (as it stops the engine bogging down - once it starts, you moderate it with clutch and throttle). Once you get an AWD launch right though, you'll do a LOT better, because the grip you get from an AWD drivetrain.

And yes. Off boost, the Liberty is a largish, heavyish car (mine was weighed at 1608kgs with me onboard at SMSP last October, the auto is a bit heavier than the manual, though I had also removed the spare wheel for the track day), and thus doesn't exactly go hard - that's compounded by the relatively low static compression (8:1 if memory serves) of the turbo engine vs the NA engines. It's one reason that Subaru went to the 2.5L turbo engine instead of the 2.0L, as (in theory), the 2.5L has more off-boost torque.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon May 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Manaz wrote:All post-FL (MY07-MY09) GTs/GT Spec.Bs/TbSTIs came with the VF46, regardless of gearbox. The auto actually helps to "hide" the lag a bit if anything.

Wasnt 100% so didnt want to spout BS ;)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Mon May 02, 2016 7:47 pm

While there shouldn't be much turbo lag, with a stock turbo starting to spool up at at well under 2500rpm (maybe lower, my car hasn't been stock in years). I do agree that the stock GTSpecB just isn't that fast. Depends on what people are used to I guess, but we had a base model V6 Falcon Wagon for work, and that felt much quicker (I know it's 4L vs 2.5L etc, but still....).

A tune totally transforms the car in my opinion. I can also highly recommend Matt/KiDo, to the point where some people (incl me) thought about not getting any further mods, because it is really that good. I'd avoid MRT - too many horror stories out there.

After that, the 'best bang for buck' according to Matt is an aftermarket Downpipe. It's well worth it, but after that the bang-for-buck gains get smaller. I did mine, but it's an intermediate level of dificulty I'd say. There are no real downsides to a Dump pipe either, and if you're worried about noise, then a good mild steel one is basically as quiet as a stock one. The rest of the exhaust is not that restrictive unless making serious power, so don't bother will a full exhaust unless you want that extra noise.
And because Matt does free retunes, you can decide to get a mod at a later stage, and not pay any more.

Matt will usually tune for 98 octane, and get a reduction in fuel consumption as well. But if you want to run 95, he can tune for that too. Like others have said, if you can get E85 (85% Ethanol) then run that (Matt does a flex tune which means u can run any mix of 98 or E85). Here in Townsville, we are finally getting E85, but I know other areas have had a lot of E85 stations close. Everyone who runs it, absolutely loves the extra low-end torque and overall power. It requires a bigger fuel pump at a minimum, but it's not an expensive mod.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 pm

You need to log n LV it, IMHO, mine was a stumbling bounder, till the issue was diagnosed, by me.
The issue was failing OCV's but vac, boost and zorst leaks can cause similar symptoms.
Check out all the links in my sig for moar infos... :)

Turbo lag isn't really an issue on a tuned healthy GT-b, assuming eg you're not flooring it in 5th at eg 2000rpm, which is unkind anyway...

Here's my review of matts most recent tune for my stockish lib, customised so it's just the way I like it, consistent & responsive in all modes, safe and reliable. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20939&start=765#p423454
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby jacks-GTB » Mon May 02, 2016 10:16 pm

welcome mate :) plus one what BBB is saying...Do a log to see whats going on...might have a air leak somewhere...Very common for the throttle body hose to slip from blow by oil... 8)
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby Nineties_kid88 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

What hardware and software do you guys use for logging/tuning? I did a quick google and come up with tactrix cable and rom raider software. Will this do the trick? I really don't think there's anything wrong with the car. It's probably just me getting used to driving a heavy turbo car. But if there is an issue what exactly should I be looking for in the logs?

As for tuning/mods. With the down pipe, how much noise will it add will I get that nice boxer rumble or will I need to add a full turbo back to achieve that? Cost isn't really an issue. I budgeted about 20k for a new car and come in well under that so Ive a bit of $$$ left for mods. :D
Are there any brands you guys can recommend for exhausts and intakes?

Also I read somewhere on the forum that in order to do "road dyno" tuning you need to do ridiculously fast speeds in 3rd gear. Is this true?
Nineties_kid88

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Not really but you'll be at around 4500rpm at 100kph and redline around 120kph assuming you want to go that far on a public road. A 110kph freeway on ramp would be handy if you're super paranoid.
I don't recall having to push that hard during any of Matts road tunes, ymmv.

More info in my tune FAQ link...

I urge you to do google site searches with relevant keywords using eg the handy link in my sig.
On site searches are limited to 5 character keywords for some reason.

Everything you need to know has been covered here in depth :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Tactrix if you want to flash tunes, log n LV.
BtSsm app, vagcom cable and android host for virtual gauges, logging & LV via OTG (cheapest best)
Or substitute the vagcom for a Tactrix if you have one.
BtSsm app, BtSsm BT obdii plug and android host (most convenient)
BtSsm has way more parameters than a basic elm327 BT obdii plug.
bigBADbenny

Postby Nineties_kid88 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Ok tactrix it is. Sorry I'm an apple fan. No android.
That's a good tip using Google to search instead of the forum search. That 5 character rule is a killer. Thanks.
Nineties_kid88

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 03, 2016 2:53 pm

The idea w/ BtSsm is an inexpensive way to get virtual gauges and logging that's more convenient than lugging around a PC.
It can even be a semi permanent install displayed on your stock or aftermarket nav screen :)
bigBADbenny

Postby Nineties_kid88 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Ok cool I'll have to look into that. But I'll still need a tactrix cable to tune, right?
Nineties_kid88

Postby jacks-GTB » Tue May 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Nineties_kid88 wrote:Ok cool I'll have to look into that. But I'll still need a tactrix cable to tune, right?

That's right you do need a tractrix to tune...Give Warwick from 'Got it Rex' a call...Excellent tuner 8)

We have silicone inlets for sale, they replace the stock unit, which is prone to cracking & cause leaks...

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=19525
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific