oil catchcan question

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

oil catchcan question

Postby Philzorz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Hey guys new to the forum and new to subaru. Got a lib gt spec b and looking at either a catch can or aos to stop some of the blowby. Not sure if its bad in these cars but the mess my nissan patrol makes in the intercooler is annoying and i end up having to cleaning it with turps and degreaser every service. Was wondering if this would fit the ej255 http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400991168954&alt=web
Thanks in advance. Phil.
Philzorz

Re: oil catchcan question

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Welcome Philzorz :),
Yeah the Subaru EJ Motors definitely have a fair bit of blowby, especially if you run higher boost than stock (with eg a mods and/or a tune) - so a catch can is always a good idea.

That catch can seems like all cheap chinese Ebay stuff - stay away "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". Even though the seller is Aus based. It doesn't even say what the filter material is, just lists random cars that it's supposed to fit....

And it's not really legal to have a vented one (oil vapours get into the atmosphere). I know we don't have emissions testing, but the cops could fine you for that if they feel like it.

And even if you're not worried about that, the size of that one is an issue. The GT engine bay is pretty tight, and that catch can is pretty big. And because it's recommended for EJ engines to have a catch can for both the Crankcase ventilation and the PCV - without joining them (because they're under pressure/suction at different times), fitting 2 of those will be a struggle.

I'd recommend one of these Catch Cans, specially made for our cars. I'll send you a PM with the details. It has 2 separate chambers (2 IN Ports, 2 OUT Ports) in a slim design:

http://kapindustries.com.au/ Doesn't list the catch cans, but that's the company.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:37 pm

Kinda ontopic and am tryingto save starting a new thread..

Are catch cans universal between petrol and diesel? And what sort of dollars are you usually expecting for one. My 02 hilux 3.0ltd has maad blow by so tryna sort it out half the catch cans im finding are around 350 - 400 dollar mark seems pricey?
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby BUDDAH » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:Kinda ontopic and am tryingto save starting a new thread..

Are catch cans universal between petrol and diesel? And what sort of dollars are you usually expecting for one. My 02 hilux 3.0ltd has maad blow by so tryna sort it out half the catch cans im finding are around 350 - 400 dollar mark seems pricey?

Western Diesel in Blacktown NSW sell real catch cans and they have one for the Hilux with all the hoses and brackets
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:15 pm

I can only find western filters? That the one?
Also if yes they only seem to do hilux from 2005 and up

Average price?
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby BUDDAH » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:27 am

Brunsy3.0 wrote:I can only find western filters? That the one?
Also if yes they only seem to do hilux from 2005 and up

Average price?

Western Filters in Blacktown :wink: Give them a call :wink:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Return to 2.5T engine specific