Oil Catch Cans

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Oil Catch Cans

Postby Hengsta » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:08 am

Hi lads, as title states have been doing some research on oil catch cans.

Just want to see what are people using and what brand they are? Do they work well?

Only if Kap Industries still make them I would have gone with them.

The grimmspeed AOS is a hit and miss for me at the moment.

Any information would be great.

Thanks
Hengsta

Car: MY10 Liberty GT 6MT Wagon

Re: Oil Catch Cans

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:19 am

I just run a cheap arse one (Calibre I think) with some steel wool in it.
It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you plan on doing sprint days you would need a decent sized one as the motor will breath, and I think a few events stipulate you have one of a certain capacity.
Forget the AOS things.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:12 pm

The Kap unit is still under final development, we just need some spare time to sort fittings and lines.
It allows the stock pcv system to be fully retained, by seperately filtering the CCV and heads.

But any AOS is better than none, the exception being the SG & GS units which can siphon oil up through the filler spout under very high, sustained cornering G's, eg on track.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby kiwigene » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 am

I have a GS AOS. I don't track the car so the siphoning issue doesn't concern me.
Seems to work well i.e. I see some oil residue in the inlet tube, which means it's not going back into the TB.
But also get the usual "cheese" in the winter (parked outside in SW Sydney - which can have frosty mornings).
Also running E85 so will be more prone to this occurrence. It's not really an issue in the summer or once the car warms up.
Easy to install yourself. Never have to "empty" it - but just give the AOS a clean when doing oil inspection/changes.

"...any AOS is better than none..."
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby WIDELOAD » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:12 am

If you can, hold out for a Kap Mk.II. They're a good unit, nice and stealthy, and as BBB said. Keeps the stock PCV system. I've got of the early prototype/Mk.I KAP units, works perfectly & tucks away nicely. No condensation issues (cheese as Kiwigene referred to it).

If you need one in a hurry/can't wait. Have a look at the Saikou Michi dual chamber, which like the KAP it keeps the PCV system & can be stealth mounted with some ingenuity.

But Kiwigene is correct. Any AOS is better than none.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby BUDDAH » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:35 am

BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:05 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:The Kap unit is still under final development, we just need some spare time to sort fittings and lines.
It allows the stock pcv system to be fully retained, by seperately filtering the CCV and heads.

But any AOS is better than none, the exception being the SG & GS units which can siphon oil up through the filler spout under very high, sustained cornering G's, eg on track.

Hi Ben, can you please let me know once you've worked out the lines (and lengths required for each diameter of hose). I just haven't had time to measure and let Russ know how much extra of each hose I need.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Cougz » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:43 pm

How is the development on the latest Kap catch can going? I'm thinking about getting one of these.
Cougz

Car: 2007 GT-B

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:43 pm

Not sure but Mishimoto now offers a dual catch can and Radium Engineering also has a DCC and a single can AOS solution.
Theyre both megabux, for serious duty, something simple would do the trick for daily driving..
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby crazyricochet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:17 pm

I have the dual Mishimoto cans that come in the kit which is made for an 08-14WRX 2.5L, pretty much all fits the same ie can brackets and the precut hoses.

Only fitment issue was needing a couple of hose barb adaptors to use on the last hoses due to a size and location difference of the PCV valve vs the Mishimoto instructions that are made for usdm cars.

The only other issue is how much they freaking cost, but yes they do seem to work well and catch the oil.

If I were to buy again I'd rather go kap for the low cost, good fitment, close to home and looks like it will do the job perfectly well.
Last edited by crazyricochet on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby Manaz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:31 pm

I actually just ordered one of these for my new Challenger...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Return to 2.5T engine specific