Rough idle , check engine light, no cruise. O2 sensor?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Rough idle , check engine light, no cruise. O2 sensor?

Postby unisafe » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello good people

My car began shaking around really low revs ( idling), not much longer after that, engine light came on and cruise control/ si drive stopped working.
From what I've read, it could be an O2 sensor?
Im hoping the car is drivable without any damage till the weekend so I can get to work and back.
It's an 08 liberty tbsti auto. Haven't had it long.. doubt my warranty would cover it?

Cheers for any information.

* covered by warranty- blocked oil feed for turbo caused by the dislodged filter- once they unblocked it/flushed it out, all was fine.
Last edited by unisafe on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiteline rear sway bar- Invidia 3" Down pipe-TCP quad mufflers Flex Fuel tune by Matt,running e85
unisafe

Car: Subaru Liberty TBSTI 08' Auto-

Re: Rough idle , check engine light, no cruise. O2 sensor?

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:54 pm

Hopefully a local forum member can read the cel code for you with a BT obdii, BtSsm or Tactrix :)
Maybe reach out on the liberty club Facebook page?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby unisafe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Now it's stalling. Fun times. Contacting Eblens first thing tomorrow. .
Whiteline rear sway bar- Invidia 3" Down pipe-TCP quad mufflers Flex Fuel tune by Matt,running e85
unisafe

Postby Manaz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:47 pm

unisafe wrote:Hello good people

My car began shaking around really low revs ( idling), not much longer after that, engine light came on and cruise control/ si drive stopped working.
From what I've read, it could be an O2 sensor?
Im hoping the car is drivable without any damage till the weekend so I can get to work and back.
It's an 08 liberty tbsti auto. Haven't had it long.. doubt my warranty would cover it?

Cheers for any information.

Define how long. You should get something like a 3 month statuatory warranty on any car bought from a dealership (new or second hand - if new, the manufacturer warranty trumps it).

If it's the front O2 sensor, they're over $500 from Subaru locally, though you can get them cheaper from overseas. Alas, the cheaper 3rd party one commonly available in Australia tends to be for the 2.0L turbo engine, not the 2.5L :(
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby unisafe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

So, went into Eben. Waited about an hour, they said something about my oil valve was blocked in the avcs... they reckon the fixed it but to keep an eye on it. I hung around the area for a few hours.. started driving and then pressed cruise control... few minutes later.. it started all over again.. engine check light and flashing cruise constrol.. and S mode only. Literally was passing them as they closed
Ive read it could be a dirty maf sensor.. if that's the case can I just give that a go cleaning it and see what happens?
unisafe

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 pm

unisafe wrote:So, went into Eben. Waited about an hour, they said something about my oil valve was blocked in the avcs... they reckon the fixed it but to keep an eye on it. I hung around the area for a few hours.. started driving and then pressed cruise control... few minutes later.. it started all over again.. engine check light and flashing cruise constrol.. and S mode only. Literally was passing them as they closed
Ive read it could be a dirty maf sensor.. if that's the case can I just give that a go cleaning it and see what happens?

AVCS overadvanced code? Bank 1 by chance?
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Manaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:17 am

unisafe wrote:So, went into Eben. Waited about an hour, they said something about my oil valve was blocked in the avcs... they reckon the fixed it but to keep an eye on it. I hung around the area for a few hours.. started driving and then pressed cruise control... few minutes later.. it started all over again.. engine check light and flashing cruise constrol.. and S mode only. Literally was passing them as they closed

Get hold of a tactrix cable or a Bluetooth OBD2 reader, and get the fault code/s from the ECU. Much better than guessing.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:44 am

OP - you need to tell us what the code is/was, before anyone can help you. There are many things it could be.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby unisafe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Sent the car in today.
Apparently it was lh oil control solenoid fault. They removed the solenoid and filter and cleaned it out.
Got it logged booked serviced while it was in ( due in under 2000kms)
Only had to pay for the servicing. Did have to have a day off work due to the timing,location and lack of transportation though.
Cheers guys
unisafe

Postby unisafe » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:36 am

Engine check light on again! Not happy.. going to ask A bloke I know if he can check the code for me.. maybe the solenoid needs to be replaced?
unisafe

Postby unisafe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Okay. 3rd time into the dealership. The code is P0021 in bank 2**, I'm pretty Matt had guessed that!.
They found a piece of a erodid filter about the length of a match stick lodged in the oil valve again. The apparently have cleared it out for good. If I have any other trouble, they said I have to get in contact with my extended warranty because they are going to get stuck right into the engine bay and pull the front end off.
Last edited by unisafe on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unisafe

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Pulling out the avcs inlet cam gears is the final step in fixing the issue, IMHO.
Best to log the vvt angles, replace solenoids if required.
Then pull and fix the cam gears if eg they're jammed.
It does happen, company23 make service tools for stripping them... Eg a 5 point driver.
I can dig up a DIY for you :)
bigBADbenny

Postby unisafe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Hmm sounds a little too advanced for my liking.. pun intended. I have a feeling my dealership know this is what needs to be done but keep 'patching' it up?
unisafe

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 am

If you took our advice and scored or borrowed a Tactrix or BtSsm and read some how to's you could diagnose and possibly fix this yourself with eg a $30 tool kit and replacement solenoids for $100 each.

Diagnosis will let you know if the cam gears are jammed as well.

Maybe do an oil change, seive the oil to see how much broken plastic is in the engine.
Most times I've seen that it's just a piece or two so the worst may be over.

Or am I missing the point of your enquiry?

Here's the info you need:
https://www.google.com.au/search?output ... n.au+avcs+

Concentrate on postFL inlet only avcs/ocv info, start with the DIY and then look for further info on the 1st result...
If your cam gear/s are jammed see post #59 onwards here for refurb info:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... 656&page=3
Or replace the cam gear/s with new eg from Celtic, partsouq etc.
That will allow for a timing belt service if due. Replace the cam gear bolts w/ TiC FU bolts whilst you're in there :)
bigBADbenny

Return to 2.5T engine specific