How many is too many?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

How many is too many?

Postby WheelZ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:26 am

Hey all,

Currently considering a Liberty wagon (GT or GT Spec.B) purchase in the not too distant future and have come to visit to get my knowledge base up.

First question i have for you all is Km's, how many is too many? There is a Spec.B floating around at the moment at a pretty good price as far as i can tell, though it's topped 230K Kms. It seems to have had regular dealership servicing every 10K Kms or so.

As far as i understand it, these are a solid engine and hold up to well if they are looked after, but let's face it 230+ is a lot.

What are your thoughts? Worth going to look at or is it gonna start my bank account hemorrhaging?
WheelZ

Re: How many is too many?

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:48 pm

You could say if it's made it that far, it's a good 'un... 2007?

Depends if you can limit your mods IMHO ;)

Budget for a 2nd timing belt service at 250k Klm if it's not been done on time/years.

But they're reasonably cheap to buy and service and if you get to know a Tactrix or BtSsm, not that hard to keep in fine fettle, even slightly modified and tuned for reliability and drivability.
The tune FAQ link in my sig is all about that.

Budget $7000-15000 on top and you'll have a 250-325 Wkw beast.

Non car people think mines a "new car" though it's at 220k Klm and 9yo :P
It's just got that sorted schema that comes from lots of lovin...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: How many is too many?

Postby steventhechef » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:59 am

I have had several Subarus (Liberty and Outback). 2.2 and 2.5 litre but this is my first turbo. My engines have exceed 420K (with just one one clutch), 280K, 220K, Out of the models that I have owned I have had no issues whatsoever and I think the key is good oil and regular services (I do mine at 10,000 km myself). They don't have to be babied but you do need to check the oil regularly as they do consume oil especially as they get up in kilometres.

Keep up the maintenance and you should be fine. Good luck. :) and tell us how you go.
Bacon and Eggs - A days work for a chicken - a lifetime commitment for a pig
steventhechef

Car: GT Spec B & a Liberty 2.5 wagon

Return to 2.5T engine specific