Dump Pipe for MY07 Lib GTB STI

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Dump Pipe for MY07 Lib GTB STI

Postby GTSPECB STI » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Ok I am now at the point of doing some engine mods to my 07 Lib sti. I am going to buy the following and want some feedback from current Gen IV Lib owners who have done these mods:

dump pipe - AVO, HKS, Phat GT pipe, Hitech, etc.
tmic - AVO
air intake - AVO, HKS, Blitz

I am keeping the stock sti mufflers but will be replacing the centre pipe with a fabricated pipe. I want rumble but not drone and quicker spool up is the aim. I am looking for good advice based on experience, not speculation and yes I have read all previous threads on dump pipe here.

cheers
Dave
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby suff » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Dave

I had an AVO TMIC on my old 2L GT and found the difference significant, Earlier & Stronger boost, and less issues with heat soak in the Perth summer how ever, be aware that you will have a noticeably higher level of cabin noise.

I will have an AVO TMIC installed on my new 2.5l GT late next week.. I will post up on this thread my thoughts

When you say air intake.. are you referring to a panel filter.. or a CAI or a pod adapter..

I have a HKS Panel filter currently, and also have an AVO POD Adaptor with AFM adaptor.. the Panel makes a "noticeable" albeit slight difference.. the AVO Pod & Adaptor made a huge difference (I was genuinely surprised that an air filter could make such a difference).. how ever, the Panel is a "nice" sound.. the Pod is horrible!
Daily : BMW E90 335i Sedan
Chasing 320RWHP ... FOUND (341RWHP) + Semi Slicks
Coming - APR FMIC, APR DP & Quaiffe Diff (finally)
suff

Car: E90 335i sedan

Postby GTSPECB STI » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:34 pm

cheers for feedback Suff. I have the HKS panel filter already but I am thinking I well get the AVO Legacy GT BP/BL Power Filter Kit
[S1B03G42A001] and Legacy BP/BL Large Air Intake Pipe
[S1B03G41ABLU] as I am going to upgrade to larger AVO TMIC.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby suff » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:47 pm

[S1B03G42A001] Is the kit I was running on my 2l GT and am thinking about bolting onto my 2.5l GT (sitting in the garage at the moment)

The difference is excellent (over the HKS Hybrid) but as many many people will tell you.. its Noisey!

Next time there is a perth meet, Ill put the Pod back in, and you can hear it running / drive it.
Daily : BMW E90 335i Sedan
Chasing 320RWHP ... FOUND (341RWHP) + Semi Slicks
Coming - APR FMIC, APR DP & Quaiffe Diff (finally)
suff

Car: E90 335i sedan

Postby GTSPECB STI » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:28 pm

cheers Suff, we really should organise another meet soon as there are quite a few active members now.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby MY07GT » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 am

Dump pipe will really free up your engine. You will definitely feel the difference with response. I've got the Phat Dump.

Is a FMIC an option? Thats what ive done and it definitely feels alot better.

Pod will significantly increase noise. I didnt like the pod sound before but when the FMIC was installed it has a nice flutter now.

Are you also considering a electronic boost controller?

Paul GT1STI is running phat DP, custom centre pipe and kept the standard sti cans on the MY07 sti. Maybe Phat can comment on the sound as I didnt get to hear it.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby GTSPECB STI » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:46 am

MY07GT wrote:Dump pipe will really free up your engine. You will definitely feel the difference with response. I've got the Phat Dump.

Is a FMIC an option? Thats what ive done and it definitely feels alot better.

Pod will significantly increase noise. I didnt like the pod sound before but when the FMIC was installed it has a nice flutter now.

Are you also considering a electronic boost controller?

Paul GT1STI is running phat DP, custom centre pipe and kept the standard sti cans on the MY07 sti. Maybe Phat can comment on the sound as I didnt get to hear it.

Phil.

Hi Phil
Yes I am well aware of what the dump pipe will do performance wise (this is my fourth subaru) and FMIC is not an option for me. Not changing the snail at this point and don't want more lag so bigger TMIC is the go. Pod I am not so keen on if it doesn't improve intake performance but just adds noice. Will PM Phat's to get his feedback on Paul's install, sound and performance.
Cheers Dave
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby AdamW » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:46 am

Recently had the

MRT Dump pipe & centre section (kept stock STi mufflers),
Hyperflow TMIC
CAI (pod & adaptor)
& EcuTeK retune and hit around 178kW at the wheels.. There are a few other cars on here with similar mods & power out puts.. The change is incredible..

The pod it quite noisy.. I don’t mind it at the moment because it’s a bit of a novelty, I will eventually get a cover for it and this is meant to reduce the suction noise quite a bit..

I don’t really think there is much difference between the AVO / Hyperflow gear.. Its just depends on who you prefer to deal with..

With regards to the different exhausts, most of the change in note (increase in noise) comes from changing the mufflers, but if you’re keeping the STi mufflers the you will gat a bit more rumble but definitely no drone what so ever….. I pretty much can’t hear my exhaust over the suction noise of the pod (the pod is quite loud).. I can hear a few pops from the exhaust when I down change through the gears thou.. Next time I am back (three weeks) I want to fabricate a noise dampening cover for the pod (maybe fill my engine bay with egg cartons… jks..), so I can get a better idea of how the exhaust sounds… or get someone else to do a drive by in my car.. I also cant see there being too much difference in the performance of the dump pipes.. Just don’t go with the super cheapo’s, you get what you pay for, but most of the better dump pipes are probably all pretty similar..

You will definitely notice a massive improvement in performance with these mods.. Esp Dump Pipe..
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Postby GTSPECB STI » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:50 am

AdamW wrote:Recently had the

MRT Dump pipe & centre section (kept stock STi mufflers),
Hyperflow TMIC
CAI (pod & adaptor)
& EcuTeK retune and hit around 178kW at the wheels.. There are a few other cars on here with similar mods & power out puts.. The change is incredible..

The pod it quite noisy.. I don’t mind it at the moment because it’s a bit of a novelty, I will eventually get a cover for it and this is meant to reduce the suction noise quite a bit..

I don’t really think there is much difference between the AVO / Hyperflow gear.. Its just depends on who you prefer to deal with..

With regards to the different exhausts, most of the change in note (increase in noise) comes from changing the mufflers, but if you’re keeping the STi mufflers the you will gat a bit more rumble but definitely no drone what so ever….. I pretty much can’t hear my exhaust over the suction noise of the pod (the pod is quite loud).. I can hear a few pops from the exhaust when I down change through the gears thou.. Next time I am back (three weeks) I want to fabricate a noise dampening cover for the pod (maybe fill my engine bay with egg cartons… jks..), so I can get a better idea of how the exhaust sounds… or get someone else to do a drive by in my car.. I also cant see there being too much difference in the performance of the dump pipes.. Just don’t go with the super cheapo’s, you get what you pay for, but most of the better dump pipes are probably all pretty similar..

You will definitely notice a massive improvement in performance with these mods.. Esp Dump Pipe..

cheers Adam, egg cartons LOL. Which CAI did you buy?
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby AdamW » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 am

Not sure which CAI they ended up fitting.. It just consisted of a blue silicon pipe & pod filter From memory it was about $280.. They all look pretty similar and would all probably give off the same noise & do the same job unless the pod was somehow contained in a box.. I did a bit of an internet search a while ago and there are a few places you can get custom pod boxes made up..

I know Arith (Jim) has a pretty awesome air intake (Blitz Carbon Suction Intake Kit), it has a cover for the pod, might want to ask him what the noise is like.. I think its worth more than most peoples exhaust systems thou lol..

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=3002

Keeping the STi mufflers will definitely keep the exhaust note close to standard.. Especially at idle, my car sounds pretty stock..
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Postby senator » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 am

GTSPECB STI....same boat

just bear in mind the sti cans have a very small inlet....... with the extra force from upgraded dump pipe and centre, this will be a limiting factor, and of course limit the life of the cans too,
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby GTSPECB STI » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 am

senator wrote:GTSPECB STI....same boat

just bear in mind the sti cans have a very small inlet....... with the extra force from upgraded dump pipe and centre, this will be a limiting factor, and of course limit the life of the cans too,

Yep I am aware as I took on of the sti cans off for inspection a few weeks ago. I figure that if I am not happy with the exhaust note after the dump and centre pipe mods then I can change them out. I like the stock look of the sti cans and not really interested in changing them if I can help it.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby GTSPECB STI » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Well I ordered the Phat dump pipe and he tells I should have it next week! I am going to have this installed and see how it sounds / performs. Likely will have the centre fab changed out as well. AVO TMIC is not in stock in Oz so 6 week wait from Japan. Any suggestions on other TMIC options, process west, etc ?
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby PRO20B » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:15 pm

GTSPECB STI wrote:Any suggestions on other TMIC options, process west, etc ?

Perrin TMIC... http://www.perrinperformance.com/produc ... 9&model=10

Cheers
Daniel
MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi Pearl White Sedan 6MT #080/250

RIP - MY08 Liberty GT spec.B Tuned By STi OBP Sedan 6MT #092/250
PRO20B

Postby bonski » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:42 pm

may as well put in my 2 cents

I've ordered a dump pipe from Phat
Im in the process of ordering a TMIC from somewhere (either AVO or whoever else has one thats decent and available)
Already have Fujitsubos and HKS panel Filter

Going to get the ECUtek from HPF

Hopefully its fun times and Ill post up dyno chart/power figures.
Current : 2011 E92 335i Coupe M Sport
It was a great 6 years, farewell : 07 Lib GTB Tuned by STi
bonski

Return to 2.5T engine specific