What else can I do to my car??..

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

What else can I do to my car??..

Postby AdamW » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 am

Ok I think I have too much spare time between projects…

So what else can I do to my car??..

To date..

*edit* MRT exhaust & dump pipe
TEIN Coilovers
Hyperflow TMIC & CAI
EBC Turbo Grooved Disc Rotors
EcuTeK tune
Kahn 19’s
About 180kW ATW..

I am thinking..

Suspension.. Sway bars?? I got a quote for Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars for $460 (parts only)
Up pipe & extractors?? Any real gains??
Bigger turbo??..
Internal engine work??

Again I don’t want to go too overboard with a massive turbo, and massive turbo lag, as it will still be an every day street car.. But I wouldn’t mind pushing it over 200KW and getting some better handling out of it..
Last edited by AdamW on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Postby senator » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:30 am

adam

rear sway bars, i have heard make a big difference with understeer,

i have just done a track day without any suspension mods..... :shock: :shock: ...... but i now have a boot load of cusco gear, front and rear sways and lower braces, which should be fitted this week, so hopefuly i will have some positive feedback for you soon.

parts were supplied by the wallet eating ...........phatgt :lol:

coming from a v8 too, it would interesting to have a set of forgies fitted and a bit of porting and polishing done, crank upgrade.........
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Re: What else can I do to my car??..

Postby GTSPECB STI » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:31 am

AdamW wrote:Ok I think I have too much spare time between projects…

So what else can I do to my car??..

To date..

MRT exhaust
TEIN Coilovers
Hyperflow TMIC & CAI
EBC Turbo Grooved Disc Rotors
EcuTeK tune
Kahn 19’s
About 180kW ATW..

I am thinking..

Suspension.. Sway bars?? I got a quote for Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars for $460 (parts only)
Up pipe & extractors?? Any real gains??
Bigger turbo??..
Internal engine work??

Again I don’t want to go too overboard with a massive turbo, and massive turbo lag, as it will still be an every day street car.. But I wouldn’t mind pushing it over 200KW and getting some better handling out of it..

LOL Adam you are screwed mate, mod bug has engulfed you. No point in doing the up pipe. Extractors will unleash more power but you will lose the boxer rumble if you go for equal length headers. Bigger snail will get you some bigger gains and strengthened internals is a good idea if are going after more power. Whiteline sways are def a good bang for the buck mod and oil catch can is well worth the small amount of $$ for the added piece of mind when running higher boost.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Resonate » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:57 am

Ditch the tmic and go fmic with bigger turbo.
Resonate

Car: MY07 GT-B (Diamond Grey)

Postby AdamW » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:07 am

senator wrote:…. now have a boot load of cusco gear, front and rear sways and lower braces…

parts were supplied by the wallet eating ...........phatgt

What’s the story with the lower arm bar (brace), strengthened mountings and rear lower arm bars? Do they make a decent difference or is the main improvement in the sway bars alone?..

Also is there much difference between Cusco & Whiteline gear (price & quality)?? About $460 for Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars..

I would like to get parts off PhatGT, but I need to also organise fitting of the parts while I am over here..

GTSPECB STI wrote: LOL Adam you are screwed mate, mod bug has engulfed you. Whiteline sways are def a good bang for the buck mod and oil catch can is well worth the small amount of $$ for the added piece of mind when running higher boost.

Yeah I know… Damn, if I stay over here in the jungle much longer I will probably have a 300kW monster Lib by Christmas… Which I am not completely against lol… Will definitely throw an oil catch can on next time I am in town..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

AdamW

Postby senator » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:02 pm

[quote="AdamW"][quote="senator"]…. now have a boot load of cusco gear, front and rear sways and lower braces…

Also is there much difference between Cusco & Whiteline gear (price & quality)?? About $460 for Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars..

lower braces help stiffen the lower chassis, similar to the strut tower brace you already have.

i think the lower braces a little hard to notice the difference unless your tracking your car, but from what i hear the rear sways a very noticeable in day to day driving.

btw our front strut tower brace is dampened.......... roll back the rubber cover in the center and find the flex joint......... phat found this last time he was under my bonnent...... its got me thinking now of getting the cusco strut brace and brake stopper to replace it.

in terms of difference from white line and cusco......... i remember phat worked out the prices for me, the only reason why cusco gear cost a little more was due to the fact it had to shipped from japan, check out ozsti's post in the mods section title "CUSCO" his got good pics of the install.

Do white line make lower braces?

i will try and get a few pics of the lower cusco braces, well made from fabrication point of view.

pm me your email if you want them.

btw i agree with GTSPECB STI .... you a screwed, might be better in stay in the jungle and hoping you loose you internet connection, :lol:
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby adam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:32 pm

get a "phatgt dump pipe"patent pending
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby AdamW » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 pm

senator wrote: I think the lower braces a little hard to notice the difference unless your tracking your car, but from what I hear the rear sways a very noticeable in day to day driving.

btw our front strut tower brace is dampened.......... roll back the rubber cover in the center and find the flex joint......... phat found this last time he was under my bonnent...... its got me thinking now of getting the cusco strut brace and brake stopper to replace it.

Do white line make lower braces?

btw i agree with GTSPECB STI .... you a screwed, might be better in stay in the jungle and hoping you loose you internet connection, :lol:

Yeah it’s the internet that does it.. When I am out in the remote villages its all good because we have no internet…. or electricity or hot water or running water for that matter etc…. Well after a while its not really a good thing thou…

Not sure if Whiteline make lower braces..

Also not sure of this is the same thing, but when they fitted my coilovers they replaced the entire piece in the center section of the towers.. Will see if I can get the peeps back home to take some pics.. They took some pics of my new rims finally on the car, but they have the photography skills of a three year old kid (and they took them at night), so they wont be getting posted up..

adam wrote:get a "phatgt dump pipe"patent pending

Yep I have the dump pipe.. Same time I had the exhaust done..

AdamW

Postby XRC15T » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

+1 for handling mod

re the braces, depending where you fit will change with corneringing/turning characteristics.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby tangcla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Lower brace is for under the car, equivalent of a strut brace. I found it noticeable. More so in my past car though.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby Arith » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:26 pm

Adam, get yer arse home first and enjoy your current mods and then move to the next stage. :D

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby AdamW » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 am

Arith wrote:Adam, get yer arse home first and enjoy your current mods and then move to the next stage. :D

True.. Its not always that simple thou.. Working for a mining company in the remote jungles of PNG gives me the extra disposable income I need to do all the mods to the Lib with out having to think twice about the expense.. At the moment I have no living expenses what so ever & am paying pretty much paying no tax.. I know one day soon I should probably move back home for good thou.. Will just have to get use to a normal income & living expenses & tax.. But the food will be better & yes I will actually get to enjoy my Lib a whole lot more.. I was hoping to be able to last out here until he end of the year.. But I might be back for good within the next couple of months.. I will definitely get front & rear sway bars fitted next time back..

AdamW

Return to 2.5T engine specific