Eflex tune and VF46

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Eflex tune and VF46

Postby shav » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 am

Hey guys,

Just wondering how you guys are going who have the Eflex tune and still running the VF46 in their cars?

Im considering this path myself as long as Eflex sticks around in SA, but wanting to research the pro's and con's further before making a decision.

Can anyone provide some real time experience in this area?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Re: Eflex tune and VF46

Postby kiwigene » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:10 pm

All good here. Been running E85 for over 6 months. Progressively upgraded my mods after I went with the E85 tune - e.g. TMIC, 3-port EBC solenoid, inlets, dump.
I'm pretty much maxed out on the stock fuel delivery set up though - haven't upgraded injectors or fuel pressure regulator (and not sure if I'll bother).
VF46 still runs out of puff at higher revs, you just get there a bit quicker on E85 compared to P98.
I think to get the full benefit of E85 you'd want to upgrade the FPR and injectors and go for a VF52 (or something bigger).
But then I reckon you'd be into head gasket territory, and that doesn't interest me at the moment.
Car has 200k+ and I'm not seeing any issues so far (I don't thrash it though...).
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby shav » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:35 pm

kiwigene wrote:All good here. Been running E85 for over 6 months. Progressively upgraded my mods after I went with the E85 tune - e.g. TMIC, 3-port EBC solenoid, inlets, dump.
I'm pretty much maxed out on the stock fuel delivery set up though - haven't upgraded injectors or fuel pressure regulator (and not sure if I'll bother).
VF46 still runs out of puff at higher revs, you just get there a bit quicker on E85 compared to P98.
I think to get the full benefit of E85 you'd want to upgrade the FPR and injectors and go for a VF52 (or something bigger).
But then I reckon you'd be into head gasket territory, and that doesn't interest me at the moment.
Car has 200k+ and I'm not seeing any issues so far (I don't thrash it though...).

Thanks Gene. That's the kind of setup Im looking for at this point. What kind of improvements did you notice with this setup? More torque down low? Power increase? Did the fuel economy suffer badly? Is the tune still compatible with P98?

Im just looking to maximize the potential of the VF46 for the street.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby kiwigene » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Yes, noticeably more torque and power (not dyno'd though - so just seat of the pants and Matt's "advice" on airflow etc.).
The thing is, I did original tune and then E85 tune before I did any real physical mods (obviously fuel pump/filter for E85).
I reckon 70-80% of all my gains were from just those two "tunes". The other 20-odd% came from the bolt-ons.
Everyone's fuel economy is different as different driving style is biggest dictator, but ~80% of my driving is the same commute everyday.
So I was getting from Matt's original P98 tune (stock car, no mods) 10.2 l/100km (averaged over 40k km).
Matt's E85 tune I'm averaging ~13.2 l/100km for about 12k km - but I've also been doing mods since then (haven't really noticed a difference in fuel consumption though).
As far as I'm aware the 2.5T AUTO cannot be truly flexfuel tuned. Matt says I can safely run P98 (probably not in S#) but fuel economy will suck.
It means that it's fine for me and since my general use is in Sydney, and E85 is easy enough to get, I'm not worried if I run out.
Can always fill up with P98 in an emergency. If I was planning a big interstate trip I'd probably get Matt to retune for P98 beforehand.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Return to 2.5T engine specific