Just bought a 2007 GT spec B - with some questions

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Just bought a 2007 GT spec B - with some questions

Postby steventhechef » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 am

Hi guys and thanks in advance. New to the forum but been lurking for a while.

I have just bought a 2008 Liberty GT spec B (150,000km) 2.5l 6 speed manual for my wife. This is our 4th Liberty (plus one Outback). Very happy with the cars and they have been super reliable with some topping 420,000km with just one clutch change! but this is the first turbo that I have owned.

It was bought in haste as my son had written off his 2005 Liberty 2.5 on the Wednesday and bought this one from Maryborough on the Saturday!

Normally i research heaps prior but it appeared to be such a good buy and the owner was desperate for a quick sale as they were leaving for an extended holiday that I jumped on the deal without doing the obligatory fact finding mission that I normally do!!. The owner stated that she ran the engine with low oil on a long trip and blew the motor. The owner bought a new second hand motor from a reputable source on the Sunshine Coast with 10,000 km from the same model and it has done 20,00 km since then. The car has 150,000 km on it but the motor has only 30,000 km. A new radiator, clutch and turbo were fitted during the motor change over.

My questions are what concerns should i have with this model if any?

Is the turbo an unnecessary risk (maintenance or issues) considering that it is for my wife (who is a spirited but cautious driver)?

What is the difference between the GT and the GT spec B?

Is there any specific maintenance regarding the turbo model for the turbo itself? I do all of the standard services myself at 10,000km with good oil (semi synth - but I am not going into an oil debate :) )

The service books were lost in a house shift (apparently) so i need to get an owners manual and service book as well. Any good sources for this or should I just go to Subaru?

I got it for around $13,000. Did I do OK?

I am taking it to Subaru Dealer for a good once over next week. Is there anything that I should ask them to check? I read about the banjo filters for the turbo. Should I get them to check those and where are they?

Thanks again in advance
Bacon and Eggs - A days work for a chicken - a lifetime commitment for a pig
steventhechef

Car: GT Spec B & a Liberty 2.5 wagon

Re: Just bought a 2007 GT spec B - with some questions

Postby dr20t » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:54 am

Welcome.

You did do well with the 10k purchase if it all stacks up without any glitches in the history / any problems.

My first and honest piece of advice is to actually stay away from a Subaru dealer unless you have the unlikely event of having something specific that requires their input (like re-coding the ecu using SSM). But that's just my humble advice.

I would recommend oil change interval of 5000kms particularly if most driving are short trips <20kms each way.

There are plenty of oil threads on here but I will definitely advise you NEED to run a full synthetic oil. At 150,000kms I would go with a 5w40 for colder months and 10w40 for warmer months.

Check and remove the banjo bolt filters on your turbo oil feed lines. Search banjo bolt filters on this site for details. These have a tendency to clog up (particularly if oil change intervals are extended or left at the factory recommended 15,000kms). Or worse, they collapse on themselves from debris and sludge buildup in the oil. Worst case if either of these scenarios happen, will be a blown engine. At a minimum you will get a blown turbo. And replacing the turbo will result in another blown turbo as you will effectively have left the blood supply vein (oil feed ) to the turbo unattended. I recommend removal and change oil every 5000kms for peace of mind.

Other things to be conscious of:

- Worn / faulty OCV valves - do a search with these terms.
- EJ255 engines suffer from bad factory piston to bore, rod to crank, and main tp crank bearing tolerances. This means they will either chew oil later in their life (so check your oil level regularly) or spit bearings / munch cranks if you're unlucky. I'm painting a very pessimistic view but they're not that bad if looked after and if you are chasing a zillion kw's out of a stock engine.
- Stock clutch at 150,000kms might be starting to wear.
- The factory ecu tune is shit to be quite frank. And im not referring to performance level. im talking about safety and fuel economy. Search this forum for tune details and get one done (for a mild to stock setup I would reccomend kido tuning Matt).

Good luck.

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby dr20t » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 am

Just noticed you edited your post.

13k is still decent

With engine having 30,000kms I would use reputable full synth 5w30 oil

Everything else I advised still applies

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby kiwigene » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:05 am

Main difference between GT and GT Spec B is the Spec B has Bilstein shocks. Also has different 18" wheels, alloy pedals and different front bar, I think.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby shav » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:19 pm

kiwigene wrote:Main difference between GT and GT Spec B is the Spec B has Bilstein shocks. Also has different 18" wheels, alloy pedals and different front bar, I think.

Correct. Everything else is identical.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby chris12 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:42 pm

shav wrote:
kiwigene wrote:Main difference between GT and GT Spec B is the Spec B has Bilstein shocks. Also has different 18" wheels, alloy pedals and different front bar, I think.

Spec B also gets rear vents and passenger electric seat, IIRC.
chris12

Car: VW Golf GTI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24279

Postby steventhechef » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Great info Mick, thanks. Just the things that I needed. :)

I will cancel the dealer service especially after talking to them. Not very confidence inspiring really. I asked them if they could service the banjo filter for the turbo and there was a significant pregnant pause :oops: I mentioned where i thought it was located and the advice on several forums. He told me not to take advice from the world wide interweb as they lie, lie, lie :nono:

I'll do the searches for the other bits thanks.

I phoned KiDo tuning and they will be up in Brisbane in the next 6 weeks so I have asked Matt to contact me so that I can upload a better tune. I will do the oil and filter myself on the weekend. I will investigate the banjo filters as well as soon as I find them! I read on another forum regarding an upgrade but it appears a bit convoluted. Is it worthwhile looking at the upgrade? I'll do a search as well

My wife drives 100 km 3 days a week to work and shorter trip for the kids on the other days. I'll see how the oil looks after 5000 km

I appreciate the information on the differences guys :) Thanks. It must be a spec B as it has all of those goodies. It is such a great car especially after having driven her Gen4 2.5 standard wagon. I had already put Bilstien suspension on it when i bought it 5 years ago along with the Spec B wheels. It handles similarly but the turbo kick just makes me smile - heaps. Much better than my Tarago!
steventhechef

Postby kiwigene » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:50 am

chris12 wrote:
shav wrote:

Spec B also gets rear vents and passenger electric seat, IIRC.

That's the difference between 2007 and 2008, not a difference between GT and Spec B.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby McDoof » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:10 pm

Not sure if it is the same in Aus, but in NZ the GT gets 17" wheels, the manual gets a 5 speed that is pretty much like the pre-facelift, softer and higher suspension, chrome "wing Grill"
Spec-B gets 18" wheels, a 6 Speed box based on the STi box and a honeycomb grill.

Then there is also the difference between JDM and ADM cars. The most obvious externally is the absence of headlight washers on the JDM cars and the addition of a rear wiper on the sedan. Once you get inside the JDM cars also have a speedo that only goes to 180 instead of 260 because all cars in Japan are limited to 180km/h from the factory by law. JDM Post facelift cars also retain the EJ20 where ADM cars moved to a EJ255 from 2007.

This is the GT

This is the Spec B (JDM)

I know one is sedan and one is a wagon, but the idea is there.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Honeycomb grille does not come on the 2007 GTB so perhaps another variation with 2008.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby McDoof » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Honeycomb grille does not come on the 2007 GTB so perhaps another variation with 2008.

Could be a JDM thing too. We get a lot of those here so pretty much all of the SpecB models have the Honeycomb grill going.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby BigBCalais » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Honeycomb grille does not come on the 2007 GTB so perhaps another variation with 2008.

I'm pretty sure honeycomb grille was a factory option on post fl
dr20t wrote:Simple rule. If you act like a dick then you deserved to get dicked

06 Blitzen 6mt
'Lightly' modified: Eyelids, HIDs, Outback bonnet, 2 1/4" Exhaust with HiTech mufflers, Lip spoiler, E̶n̶k̶e̶i̶ ̶T̶6̶s̶ ̶1̶8̶x̶8̶.̶5̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶, Rays 57Valkyrie 18x8.5, Sti Pink Springs, Kido tune, Brembos
BigBCalais

Car: Black 06 Blitzen 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26522

Postby steventhechef » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm

I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow when I get some time.

I noted that the dash has some cracking and honeycombing (cracking in neat little sections). I spoke to a dash repair guy and he stated that it was common with the Libertys (he named a few others) if you use Armor All to "protect" your dash. I normal don't use because of the petrochemicals in the formula and have a dash mat but I'll look at replacing it in the near future - now I need to search replacing dash!

I found a few spares around the place and will look at getting them shipped next week. This included a black GTB boot with the spoiler for $200 :wink: and a complete dash for $200.

I ride a 2006 Triumph Thruxton and the different models around the planet are just a variant but sometimes it is difficult to understand why they blend the models except to empty a parts bin for special runs. It adds a uniqueness and talking point of difference I suppose :crazy:
steventhechef

Postby steventhechef » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Sorry about the crappy phone photos. I'll post a couple more tomorrow. No honeycomb grill
steventhechef

Postby steventhechef » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:27 am

Much better!

Last edited by steventhechef on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
steventhechef

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific