Buying High KM 07 GTB

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Buying High KM 07 GTB

Postby Dell » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi All,

Im new here, and I am looking at buying a 2.5T MY07 GT-B manual for around $9,000 (unreg as I will be buying interstate hence the lower price). The inital pictures show the car is in pretty good condition for the kms it has travelled and I have requested more pics. The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that it has done over 233,000kms. It has full service history from Subaru Dealers and the 200k service has been completed, so new belts and all that.. The car looks completely original, no aftermarket modifications etc.. The guy seems fairly keen to sell it, as he dropped the price from $11,000 due to me being interstate..

I will organise someone to do a pre purchase check to make sure there are no hidden issues the owner is trying to hide. The revs check also checks out too, so no issues there, but does indicate that the car has higher than average kms for its age (I think the original owner lived south of Geelong and commuted to Melbourne for work each day for the first 3 years of the cars life).

Honestly though, is a MY07 GT-B Sedan Manual with over 233,000kms worth buying, considering I am at my budget purchasing it..

Can anyone give me some advise? am i better off waiting/saving more $$ to buy something with less KMS or take a chance on this, and save for a rebuild/engine swap if i have any issues..

Thanks!!
Dell

Car: TBD

Re: Buying High KM 07 GTB

Postby kiwigene » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm

High km's are ok if it's been serviced regularly. Definitely get an independent inspection though.

And FYI the log book servicing has the timing (cam) belt (so the MAJOR service) due at 125k and 250k.
So if it's only been serviced by a dealer and the guy can't show you otherwise, it won't have had a major service at 200k.
In fact, the 200k service is effectively just an oil/filter change - I know, I just had mine done...
I think spark plugs may have been due at 225k. Ask the guy if he can show you any receipts of the service work done.
Dealers should provide an itemised report for every service.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:55 pm

There is no 200K service for timing belt, it is 250K as pointed out. So if the second major service (250K) has not been done there is a lot to do. If the first has been done (125K) it still depends on what they actually did because the minimum is belt and front oil seal which a lot of people do and then there is the tensioner, all the pulleys and waterpump which are optional at 125K but should be done again at 250K regardless. You would need to look at receipts, not the log book for this. Other considerations are the fuel pump is generally recommended for replacement between 200-250K (not a service schedule item) and if the following haven't been done already they will be due very soon - radiator & hoses, shocks, clutch, brake pads and rotors. That is thousands of bucks you MAY need to spend in the next year or two. With that said, $9K is cheap for so much car. If your budget is already stretched you may be buying a headache.

If however you have the ability to save, do the research and ideally get someone who knows what they are looking at to check it over, it could be a great buy and if looked after could do you for many years to come. See if you can find out what out of the list above has actually been done first.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

^ pump and in-tank filter I'd hope :)

If it's a Melbourne car I'm available to look it over and log n LV it.
High K's on an MY07, it's good imho. Everything that could go wrong for the most part will have gone wrong and been fixed hopefully. The shocks might be well tired but you'd have scope to replace them with something much better eg Shockworks :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby paggaz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:46 pm

My 07 GTB manual is coincidentally at about 233,000kms as well and although modified, it's been well maintained and it drives like a new car.

bigBADbenny wrote:High K's on an MY07, it's good imho. Everything that could go wrong for the most part will have gone wrong and been fixed hopefully.

I agree with this. There are a few horror stories of engines going pop, however, from what I've noticed, they usually aren't even past the 150,000km mark. Meaning that the engine in the vehicle you're looking at looks to be a from good batch of engines!

9k is a steal for such a car. Makes me a little depressed on the inside when I read that.. :cry: :lol:
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Postby Dell » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

After I originally posted, the owner mentioned who he gets to service the car, so I phoned them myself.. and to my suprise, the mechanic's first words to me were "BUY IT!" that kind of threw me a bit, didnt expect that.. but he also confirmed that the next major service is at 250K. I do have the ability to save, and I would likely pre purchase most of the parts beforehand, and I am prepared to put some money into the car to ensure its longevity, I plan on having this car for a long time.

I will get the car inspected before I commit to buying it, The owner suggested Docklands Subaru as it was near his work, but if you think somewhere else near there is better, let me know. I am fairly certain that I will be buying this one if everything checks out.

The owner also mentioned there is a "slight" knock with the suspension, which you guys already suspected would be due, so I will look into getting some good shocks.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom guys, really has set my mind a ease. Please let me know anything else that I should be looking out for, both mechanic and owner said the car is in very good condition considering the KMS.. I will be heading down next weekend to look at it and hopefully buy it (after the inspection of course).
Dell

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:21 pm

I'd be happy to look it over, log it and advise on all the fixes and options.
I'm in Melb, Collingwood.
My local garage does affordable inspections as well or we can get it up on my ramps for a look see :)
bigBADbenny

Postby ferret89 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:38 am

bigBADbenny wrote:I'd be happy to look it over, log it and advise on all the fixes and options.
My local garage does affordable inspections as well or we can get it up on my ramps for a look see :)

^ Looks like a good offer to me :lol:
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Dell » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:54 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:I'd be happy to look it over, log it and advise on all the fixes and options.

Thanks Benny, I might take you up on that.. :)

Im still waiting for Photos that I requested.. so as soon as the guy sends them through, Ill know for sure if its worth heading down to Melbourne for a look.
Dell

Postby Abuz3D » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 pm

there shld be a Benny in every state lol... :mrgreen:
Abuz3D

Car: GenV 2009 liberty my10

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 am

Be sure to pm me when youre ready.
There's Benny's all over, you just have to ask :)
I dont know everything but I have sorted most of the niggles on my high k second hand car, imho thats complementary to a proper mechanics pre purchase check.
bigBADbenny

Postby 08_adaml » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Hey, i just bought mine about 6 months ago (my07 GTB manual) with high km's (190kms @ the time of purchase) also for 9k. I have now put on about 15,000kms. The thing is still 100%, smoooth, clutch is fine, all electrics are spot on, im getting 600kms on avg out of a tank. Havent had to change anything, my car too had a full service history, so i think if your car ticks that box, you should jump on it! best car 9k can buy by far!
08_adaml

Car: my07 Lilberty GT 6spd

Postby JamesR » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:41 pm

My MY07 GTB auto wagon is nearing 280000kms, so far no major dramas.
But in saying that it started acting funny yesterday, so I need to find out what's going on.
my photography blog-
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec B Wagon

Postby Manaz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:38 pm

08_adaml wrote:Hey, i just bought mine about 6 months ago (my07 GTB manual) with high km's (190kms @ the time of purchase) also for 9k. I have now put on about 15,000kms. The thing is still 100%, smoooth, clutch is fine, all electrics are spot on, im getting 600kms on avg out of a tank. Havent had to change anything, my car too had a full service history, so i think if your car ticks that box, you should jump on it! best car 9k can buy by far!

I'm lucky to get 400km per tank. But then my car apparently has ~200kW at the wheels, and I drive it in peak-hour traffic every day... :)
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Manaz wrote:
08_adaml wrote:I'm lucky to get 400km per tank. But then my car apparently has ~200kW at the wheels, and I drive it in peak-hour traffic every day... :)

I reckon I get about the same around town in peak hour but open road I can get more than 700ks in 6th gear with cruise control 8).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific