Stop EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Stop EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)?

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:37 pm

This might be a silly question, but I haven't seen it asked before. Since the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) pump is the reason our cars can sound a bit like diesels (or at least tappety) on cold starts for 20-30sec, I know it's normal - but it's annoying! The car sounds shit with the EGR running.

Can it be easily stopped (eg by a tune or disconnecting)?

And I know it has its purpose to reduce emissions - I don't want to harm the environment. But I don't actually drive anywhere in the time the EGR pump runs (I have to open my carport gate). I still run an emissions-legal 200cel Cat, and my GT isn't even driven every day - I have the work van for that. And keep in mind that 'cold starts' are not exactly that cold for my car, because it only gets down to 20-25deg here in winter.

Or am I missing another purpose/advantage of the EGR?
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Re: Stop EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)?

Postby triston » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:34 am

Do yo mean the secondary air pump? This guy pump clean air into the exhaust to low emissions on start up.

If so, yes it can be removed completely/ tuned out - a lot of people have issues where these fail and throw a cell and have to either be tuned out/off, removed or replaced
triston

Car: 08 GT-B tuned by Sti

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:15 am

triston wrote:Do yo mean the secondary air pump? This guy pump clean air into the exhaust to low emissions on start up.

If so, yes it can be removed completely/ tuned out - a lot of people have issues where these fail and throw a cell and have to either be tuned out/off, removed or replaced

Yes, I think so. This one in the left side of the engine bay (no pics but a description and a video with a brief mention at 1m 35s) http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7244

Excellent :D . Thank you. I will contact Matt (KiDo) at some point and getting it tuned out then.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

I want to convert mine into a positive pressure controlled ccv vacuum pump :evil:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:24 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:I want to convert mine into a positive pressure controlled ccv vacuum pump :evil:

Cool 8) . What would be the advantages of that?
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:05 am

i want to vent mine to atmosphere so i can use it as a hairdryer, so i can get ready of a morning while my car warms up
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:13 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:i want to vent mine to atmosphere so i can use it as a hairdryer, so i can get ready of a morning while my car warms up

:lol:
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Return to 2.5T engine specific