8k budget build. Best advise on value for money please.

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: 8k budget build. Best advise on value for money please.

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:23 pm

+1

No need to go a new engine when it just needs a new head gasket. If Newcastle is too expensive get it done in Sydney.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 pm

+1
Head gasket repair, head studs... I wouldn't even bother with forged pistons.
It'll still safely run 200wkw. That's all you need to park down at the foreshore haha
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby dr20t » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

For the price and headache of a headgasket job (which in most likelihood will go again once you've done it), I would buy a good condition used ej255 or 2007-2008 single avcs ej257 (Sti) and swap that in
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby AJ RS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:42 am

peadya100 wrote:+1
Head gasket repair, head studs... I wouldn't even bother with forged pistons.
It'll still safely run 200wkw. That's all you need to park down at the foreshore haha

Lol maybe 15 years ago I would have!

I've been a loyal customer to Autocraft and he truly is awesome at what he does, so another workshop is out for a few reasons.
After waking up in a better mood I'm thinking just do the heads, gaskets and stud kit. Second hand VF52 and TBE, I've got a brand new Mishi top mount waiting for it in the shed, turbo inlet and tune. This will be the cheapest option and should net me a healthy power figure. In reality I sold the STI so that we could buy a car more suitable to carring the kid and all the shit that goes with an infant around, do the shopping etc. So I need to be real and tell myself it's not my track toy or drag car. But I cant leave anything I have stock..

The sti used engine option won't work with the GT loom and ECU so all that would need to be swapped out and that's huuuuge labour time so it could end up being more expensive than a fresh build. But I'm still looking into it..

I'll chime in again with my final plan after sitting down with my mechanic later today.
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
08 Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Car: MY08 Subaru GTB tuned by STI wagon

Postby dr20t » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:10 am

AJ RS wrote:The sti used engine option won't work with the GT loom and ECU so all that would need to be swapped out and that's huuuuge labour time so it could end up being more expensive than a fresh build. But I'm still looking into it.

Not true - that's what I'm trying to tell you.

Long block engine from the following vehicles will fit your car with the same bolt ons as you currently have (intercooler, ancillaries and headers/ turbo etc):

- 2006-2009 liberty GT
- 2007-2013 wrx
- 2008-2012 forrester XT

These were all ej255's like yours.

For an "upgrade", you can fit the single avcs ej257 which came in various configurations. Must be single avcs, dbw setup though.

Good luck

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby THE SpecB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Just do HG, studs etc and enjoy

Maybe the owner wasn't aware?
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Budget way: get a low km second hand motor and put it in. You said your motor hasn't been looked after well, if that's the case, why risk it? As dr0t already said, your ECU and loom are compatible for quite a selection of EJs. Who's fuelling the story about needing an Sti ECU?

Budget way+: Add ARP2000 studs, upgrade oil and water pumps (+whatever performance mods you're after). Get car tuned or at least checked, to make sure there isn't an existing problem.

Comprehensive Budget way: take your current motor and get it fully checked and rebuilt with new and correct clearances, oil, water, piston, HG and stud upgrades. It's possible to get a comprehensive list of parts that will ensure a killer of a 'built on a budget' engine, but you'd need a good experienced engine builder to piece it all together. Making an improvement on a stock engine + forged bits takes experience, it's not as simple as bolting it all together and dropping in pistons. If you're planning to stick with your mechanic, it's probably best to avoid this route. Some people that have a decent reputation towards your way - MSR and Deshelle performance. If you need any info, feel free to ask!
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby THE SpecB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Give Deshele performance a call. Friend of mine had his wrx EJ rebuilt with work.

Very happy customer and happier than using other engine builder mentioned as his mate with a forestor had a very bad experience and no responsibility taken or support.
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:04 am

Read his comments Alexei, he had a dual AVCS EJ257 from a late model STi he was going to fit hence a need for a AZ1J500G ECU from an Impreza STi
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby AJ RS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 am

The 2011 STI complete engine package I was thinking of using was not going to work. Dual AVCS.. Im not an expert on this but I did seek advice on this.

NOW, the final plan after entertaining a lot of different possibilities is to work with what I've got and get a few other things done at the same time. So in actual fact it won't be a build so to speak. So those looking for build related talk tune out now.

I will be keeping and running the original bottom for now and spending the money in other areas as I'm not looking to get 250awkw from this car, just a little more than stock for now is the goal and my original engine with 112,000ks will survive a little longer.
Im booked in to have the head gaskets done, heads checked and fully reco'd. ARP stud kit. Around 3.5k.
While its there,
Timing belt kit
Plugs
Waterpump
HD clutch kit and either machine flywheel or replace with a lightened flywheel. Wait and see..
Replace current turbo with a good, low ks Used VF52 Turbo
Silicone Intake
Mishi TMIC (part waiting in the shed)
Avo Dump pipe
Custom mid and keep stock sit cans.
Tune down at MSR at the end of the work.

My quotes and prices bring this total just under the $8k mark and for the money I will see noticeable gains in all the right areas without going over the top. I will be happy with anything close to 200awkw for the work being done.
Car is booked in on the 11th of May and should take a little over a week to do the work and then get it down for a tune after. I will begin a build thread after its complete to show what mods and what sort of torque and power I ended up with.
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
08 Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Car: MY08 Subaru GTB tuned by STI wagon

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific