Engine Whine

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Engine Whine

Postby MY02B4 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi all,

So recently had a workshop install a VF52, Perrin turbo intake and a larger tmic. I've noticed a whining noise coming from the engine which I've never heard before and it changes speed based on the RPM of the engine. I made sure it wasn't the stereo by removing the fuse and it only makes the noise when the car is in gear so if the car is moving and I put the clutch in / go into neutral, the noise will stop. It's hard to describe the pitch of the whine but it's a bit like when you're reversing very quick.

I'm taking it back to the workshop for them to have a look but the car drives ok and comes on boost even though it could do with a tune. My tuner also told me my current S mode supports the above mods and the turbo was bought from a reputable member and has very low kms so I doubt it's the turbo. The only other thing I've noticed is the engine tapping seems a bit louder than usual although it could just be me and the belts are a bit squeaky.

Any ideas?
MY02B4

Re: Engine Whine

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:51 pm

take the two front belts off and see if it changes?
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm

It sounds like diff whine - my diff whines like this too. I replaced my gearbox oil and the whine reduced significantly (also there was 2L too little oil in my gearbox !?!?!).

It only whines when it's under load, so when you put the clutch in, it's no longer under load.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby MY02B4 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for the tips.

Bob I think you hit the nail on the head. My old oil was way too thin which I'm guessing was to help with 2nd gear on cold mornings. Got some redline in there now and its improved a fair bit. With the radio on I prob wouldn't hear it at all.
MY02B4

Return to 2.5T engine specific