2010 Liberty GT Manual - Engine cranking issues

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

2010 Liberty GT Manual - Engine cranking issues

Postby jnmurgat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi All,

Hoping to get some advice... Have a little problem with my GT. Subaru had a look at it and somewhat confused by the response they gave me.

Basically over the last few weeks have had an issue whereby when I go to start the car from cold (either in the morning) or after the car has completely cooled down that the starter motor doesn't engage the engine to crank it over. Upon re-trying this after a 5 second wait the engine turns over and starts ok. Seems to be getting worse although is still only doing this when cold. When warmed up it seems to engage the engine and start without issue.

Car has done around 145,000 KMs in the 5 years I have had it, been no issues with anything else with the car, ie clutch appears to work ok and no slippages etc. It is not driven that hard but not mothered either. Battery has been replaced less than 12 months ago; and replaced this with a higher spec'd battery to what was in there from the factory.

Just wondering what your thoughts would be as to the cause.

Subaru after investigating the issue have advised that they believe it is not engaging properly due to clutch material being caught in the starter motor. They also advised that the clutch was hard to press as well.

The clutch has always been harder than other manuals I have driven but don't believe it has gotten any worse. I bought this from new and have had all the regular services on it.
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also if you know of anyone I can take this to (not Subaru) that would be able to give me a second opinion that would be appreciated. I am in Melbourne.

BTW Subaru have said the clutch is on its way out and be prepared for a $2K repair cost.

Thanks in advance.
Jamie.
jnmurgat

Car: 2010 Liberty GT Manual

Return to 2.5T engine specific