Best turbo choice?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Best turbo choice?

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:off the shelf would be fine! billet wheel is probably worth it just for resale anyway.

But what type of 0-100?
are you doing it properly with a launch, rev all the way too 6k
or
just of the lights with a slip of the clutch and mash it just to 4-5k

for reference with my relatively small VF36 in the current state, I get 4.2 with a dump 4.5k launch (I don't have the brass balls for a 6k launch on a 5speed) and 5.2 with no launch whatsoever. a light clutch slip launch would be about 4.7-4.9 I would think. Don't need a huge turbo to get to 100 quickly - E85/twinscroll is awesome for scroll times, which is going to seriously affect your "non launch" 0-100, and your transient response.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:
GONEWALKABOUT wrote:off the shelf would be fine! billet wheel is probably worth it just for resale anyway.

But what type of 0-100?
or

for reference with my relatively small VF36 in the current state, I get 4.2 with a dump 4.5k launch (I don't have the brass balls for a 6k launch on a 5speed) and 5.2 with no launch whatsoever. a light clutch slip launch would be about 4.7-4.9 I would think. Don't need a huge turbo to get to 100 quickly - E85/twinscroll is awesome for scroll times, which is going to seriously affect your "non launch" 0-100, and your transient response.

Again though out of OP, shav and myself all with the post FL variant none of us have twin scroll setups or im guess e85. both of which make a huge difference! I ask the question only for what power band would suit the most needed application. Because if your going to be dumping it, starting and staying in high rpm then go for the 'big bertha' that wont drop off in the high rpm.

Personally for me the decision was about feel. I always felt disappointed when my turbo couldnt see out the rev range
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

What do you use to time your 0-100 runs Matt?
I've only ever tried with a phone app and on the same stretch of road in an auto with the same launch, and i get very different times each run. Clearly not a precision timing method haha
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:51 pm

But what type of 0-100?
or

well I have an auto, so can't launch it at that rpm. But I can stall it to it's max on occasions (I dont like doing that often)
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Then perhaps the smaller turbo would best suit your application shav :)
as you are not searching for huge power and the auto may leave you in a sticky situation on a corner if you had a plethora of lag
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Sumeet95 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Thread hijack :P

Thats all good fellas, nice to have input. Makes choosing the better choice easier. So in saying, maybe the 440xt is slightly overkill? Does seem that way I suppose.
But in saying that, gives me more room in the odd situation that I will want more power haha.

Just to clarify, I can run 220-240kw at the wheels (safely) on the EJ255 without headstuds and ringlands yes?
Any ideas on what torque figures would be like?

Also a KiDo tune will be happening as soon as these mods are done... not sure if I want to run E85 (e-flex in my local vicinity).
Thanks guys!
Sumeet95

Car: Subaru Liberty RX2.5

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:12 pm

peadya100 wrote:What do you use to time your 0-100 runs Matt?
I've only ever tried with a phone app and on the same stretch of road in an auto with the same launch, and i get very different times each run. Clearly not a precision timing method haha

BTSSM - takes the speed from the ECU. I'm probably off by a bit, but I can't see the error being more than .1 maybe .2 seconds, and I get very repeatable times.

If you have a tactrix a log with speed will give you the same thing, just calculate the difference in ms from 0 to 100km/hr. Just make sure your laptop is somewhere secure :D

Launching with an auto spooled up would be much easier and more repeatable than my manual launches - and with a reasonable size turbo you wouldn't have to flog it horribly to get a good launch (unlike Mick ;) ).

I agree with you about losing up top, and that's part of the reason I want a 1.5XT-R, but tbh, I think my money is much better spent on some brembos and stereo install, and tweaking bits here and there until It's perfect, because it's hard to use the power I have day to day - even on the twisties, 180kw was plenty, I was held back previously by tyres and suspension much more. The main time I use it is testing and overtaking. I get much much more use out of my mid range torque than the top end power.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

I got a 440xt and trust me, on a manual unopened 2.5 it's what you want. A Garrett gtx3071 or dom1.5 are good choices but you can't really get the most out of them on an unopened engine. 3071 may cost more to buy and isn't bolt on.

Im running stock headers cos like everyone on here apart from kiahatsiu and dr20t, I was worried about lag. Considering getting headers now though haha
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:24 pm

blacktop™ wrote:I got a 440xt and trust me, on a manual unopened 2.5 it's what you want. A Garrett gtx3071 or dom1.5 are good choices but you can't really get the most out of them on an unopened engine. 3071 will cost more to buy and isn't bolt on.

Im running stock headers cos like everyone on here apart from kiahatsiu and dr20t, I was worried about lag. Considering get headers now though haha

that is true but its also about what your future plans are.
Im also running headers. not that my car moves.. but they are there.. ;)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:28 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:
blacktop™ wrote:I got a 440xt and trust me, on a manual unopened 2.5 it's what you want. A Garrett gtx3071 or dom1.5 are good choices but you can't really get the most out of them on an unopened engine. 3071 will cost more to buy and isn't bolt on.

Im running stock headers cos like everyone on here apart from kiahatsiu and dr20t, I was worried about lag. Considering get headers now though haha

that is true but its also about what your future plans are.
Im also running headers. not that my car moves.. but they are there.. ;)

Very true. That's kinda why I mentioned to opened/unopened thing.

If you're planning on building your engine...don't hold back!
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm

sell your car! save a lot of money, time and judgement! haha
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:47 pm

blacktop™ wrote:I got a 440xt and trust me, on a manual unopened 2.5 it's what you want. A Garrett gtx3071 or dom1.5 are good choices but you can't really get the most out of them on an unopened engine. 3071 may cost more to buy and isn't bolt on.

Im running stock headers cos like everyone on here apart from kiahatsiu and dr20t, I was worried about lag. Considering getting headers now though haha

Well there you go.. if Ryan can get 250wkw from a 440xt and no headers... that's the turbo you want. Not so big that its laggy, and not too small to make big power. Perfect mix!

And Ryan, i had the same fear regarding headers and lag... thats out the window now. No extra lag at all :good:
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Or any turbo of the same size!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Sumeet95 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:48 pm

peadya100 wrote:
blacktop™ wrote:I got a 440xt and trust me, on a manual unopened 2.5 it's what you want. A Garrett gtx3071 or dom1.5 are good choices but you can't really get the most out of them on an unopened engine. 3071 may cost more to buy and isn't bolt on.

Well there you go.. if Ryan can get 250wkw from a 440xt and no headers... that's the turbo you want. Not so big that its laggy, and not too small to make big power. Perfect mix!

And Ryan, i had the same fear regarding headers and lag... thats out the window now. No extra lag at all :good:

It's settled then, 440XT it is! God I cannot wait to start to put this liberty together. Should be a long and costly journey (full time engineering student, with only weekend work) but will be all worth it in the end!
Sumeet95

Car: Subaru Liberty RX2.5

Postby shav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 pm

Sumeet95 wrote:
peadya100 wrote:

It's settled then, 440XT it is! God I cannot wait to start to put this liberty together. Should be a long and costly journey (full time engineering student, with only weekend work) but will be all worth it in the end!

Do it now before you settle down. Believe me, unless you have a well paying job and no kids, it's gets harder to have a project. lol
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific