Best turbo choice?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Best turbo choice?

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 am

shav wrote:
GONEWALKABOUT wrote:If your also tight on cash kingugawa make budget turbos like the td05-20g and they are definitely not as bad as people seem to think.

Otherwise other options may include a garret variant eg. gt(x)3071 or 3076 if budget permits.
Borgwarner EFR range seems to also be capable of working some magic

I would have thought the lag in those kinugawa turbo's would be a turn off. Especially in auto.

he has a manual :)
Its honestly not that bad.. not a vf52 but then again probably has more top end. The td05-20g i had could have spooled fully just after 3k with a good tune
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby shav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 am

ah thats fair enough with a manual. Could the TD05-18g could be slightly better suited?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:50 am

shav wrote:ah thats fair enough with a manual. Could the TD05-18g could be slightly better suited?

You may posibly struggle to make the desired power with the 18g. Wouldnt leave much head room for future expansion at any rate
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby shav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:06 am

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:
shav wrote:ah thats fair enough with a manual. Could the TD05-18g could be slightly better suited?

You may posibly struggle to make the desired power with the 18g. Wouldnt leave much head room for future expansion at any rate

Good call. I guess Im trying to compare it to what I would do too. The VF52 would be optimal in my eyes FWIW. But the 18g appeals too if I wanted to take it further but at the sacrifice of some lag. To me, anything over 220 is heading into some serious territory.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:28 am

shav wrote:
GONEWALKABOUT wrote:

Good call. I guess Im trying to compare it to what I would do too. The VF52 would be optimal in my eyes FWIW. But the 18g appeals too if I wanted to take it further but at the sacrifice of some lag. To me, anything over 220 is heading into some serious territory.

I think the only problem with the vf series is they are over priced. Because of popularity, from a subaru and bolt on etc.
Its kind of like people paying extra for sti parts when you could get the same aftermarket variant for less.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:33 am

I thought VF52's were quite cheap compared to others? Around 1100 brand new. A blouche variant starts at around 1600.. or a similar sized GT pumps is around the 1600 mark too I think.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:34 am

In saying that, you don't buy a VF if you're chasing big power.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:38 am

closer to 1300 for what isnt a large turbo! just a popular option for most peoples needs!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 am

GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:49 am

If I had my time again I would get that one... I like shav was worried about lag from even the VF52... turns out it was nothing to worry about.

I don't think anyone has ever paid 1300 for a VF52... most people buy them from the states for 1100. But that was before the dollar crapped out I guess.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:00 am

peadya100 wrote:If I had my time again I would get that one... I like shav was worried about lag from even the VF52... turns out it was nothing to worry about.

I don't think anyone has ever paid 1300 for a VF52... most people buy them from the states for 1100. But that was before the dollar crapped out I guess.

1300 was from RSD actually! haha
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby shav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 am

I've seen the Blouch's for $1250 online, not sure if in AUs or US. Assume you need to add postage to that price.

In that link, you can add some upgrades. Is it worth it? What kind of benefits are there?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:47 am

shav wrote:I've seen the Blouch's for $1250 online, not sure if in AUs or US. Assume you need to add postage to that price.

In that link, you can add some upgrades. Is it worth it? What kind of benefits are there?

Coatings will just be ceramic. I think debates still on whether turbo beanies and housing coatings are actually efficient in reducing spool time. Probably not as efficient as headers and up-pipe is my guess as the air is already in the turbo. Not a necessity.

Size of turbine housing depends on what lag you dont mind and what power output your after.

Better wheel is alwasy, good, usually will decrease spool time, not sure what "HPD" wheel is but if its similar to billet, good investment if you can afford.

Braided lines you will probably need if the hardlines dont match. Probably worth while investment anyway

IMO
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby shav » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:
shav wrote:I've seen the Blouch's for $1250 online, not sure if in AUs or US. Assume you need to add postage to that price.

Coatings will just be ceramic. I think debates still on whether turbo beanies and housing coatings are actually efficient in reducing spool time. Probably not as efficient as headers and up-pipe is my guess as the air is already in the turbo. Not a necessity.

Size of turbine housing depends on what lag you dont mind and what power output your after.

Better wheel is alwasy, good, usually will decrease spool time, not sure what "HPD" wheel is but if its similar to billet, good investment if you can afford.

Braided lines you will probably need if the hardlines dont match. Probably worth while investment anyway

IMO

Sounds like the upgrades are good if you are chasing every kw of power. But as is off the shelf is ok too. For my setup and driving style I think it would be overkill. I really want to set mine up for really good 0-100 times.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:09 pm

off the shelf would be fine! billet wheel is probably worth it just for resale anyway.

But what type of 0-100?
are you doing it properly with a launch, rev all the way too 6k
or
just of the lights with a slip of the clutch and mash it just to 4-5k
GONEWALKABOUT

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific