UEL vs EL Headers

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

UEL vs EL Headers

Postby peadya100 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:55 pm

I've recently purchased UEL headers, as recommended by MSR.
He led me to believe that UEL was an improvement in top end power and EL is an improvement in mid range power.

Owen just mentioned that it was the other way around?

So can someone please tell me which way it is?

MSR's website has a few paragraphs on UEL vs EL:

Should I upgrade the headers? If so, which type would be best?
The standard headers in your Subaru are a 3-piece unequal length (UEL) type. This is essentially what makes the unmistakable boxer rumble. So if you love the boxer rumble (whoever doesn't is just mad!), stick with the UEL headers. UEL headers work extremely well if you are running a small to medium sized turbocharger. Porting the standard headers slightly also increases turbo spool up and engine response. That being said though, back-to-back testing against equal length (EL) headers showed that although the UEL headers offered slightly more top end power, the EL headers promoted stronger midrange power without compromising top end power too much. However, you do lose the infamous boxer rumble if you decide to run EL headers.

So the verdict is, if you are going to run a small to medium sized turbocharger, stick with the UEL headers. A small to medium turbocharger will spool up quickly with a good turbo-back exhaust system so you won't notice the slight loss of mid-range response when compared to running EL headers. The UEL headers will also promote as much top end power as possible from the small to medium sized turbocharger and you also retain the awesome boxer rumble!

If you are going to run a large sized turbo, EL headers would be recommended to promote quicker spool up for midrange power although you do lose the boxer rumble. The large sized turbocharger with a good turbo-back exhaust system will effectively take care of the slight top end power loss that EL headers tend to have.
Last edited by peadya100 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Re: UEL vs EL Headers

Postby jacks-GTB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:17 pm

MSR did a back to back on his 2 door...both were ceramic coated...

https://www.facebook.com/16920221647182 ... =3&theater
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby peadya100 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Alexei just put me onto that one... MSRs testing definitely backs up his claims.
Weird that other tuners get different results but can only assume that's to do with the brand of headers?

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:07 pm

the common belief is that EL is better for power and spool as well as evening out EGT, which is better for the engine perhaps. Downside is.. well depending on preference, the sound.

Unless you going for raw power and lots of it i wouldnt lose sleep over it, you probably wouldnt have been able to feel the difference without large boost, large turbo and large kw's.
just my $0.01

EDIT: heres a quote i found on a subie forum:Tomei, I believe, did a research project a number years ago that compared an UEL header and their EL header.
Spool was the most noticable difference. Peak boost (I think it was a 35r turbo) came on almost 400 rpms faster
with the EL than the UEL. When tuned for, the UEL made 29whp over the stock exhaust manifold and the EL made
31 whp respectively.
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Yeah that's what makes me think the brand/design has an impact. I've seen a Tomei graph which I assume is that test.
That could be the only reason a very reputable tuner like MSR could get different results.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 pm

from what iv seen physical design between brands of EL and similarly UEL do not differ that much but there must be something else going on. Whether maybe one brand has some how found the mm perfect diameter and it really does matter, who knows.

EDIT:In a rough sense in design:
-primary pipe diamter = rpm of peak torque; smaller diameter, lower torque peak, larger diameter, higher torque peak
-primary pipe length = "lean" of torque curve; short length, high rpm emphasis, long length, low rpm emphasis
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:33 pm

It is also dependant on cam timing shape as well as to the result. Higher flow or more header volume affects cam overlap which affects timing and VE
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby peadya100 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:02 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:It is also dependant on cam timing shape as well as to the result. Higher flow or more header volume affects cam overlap which affects timing and VE

Although I know zip about tuning. That makes sense Matt. Different tuners run different timing in different places so it would effect the results.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby dr20t » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Matt is correct so if cam timining wasn't optimised for the el header compared to uel then you won't see gains

But just putting it out there that most aftermarket Subaru headers (psr, kando, tomei, Kobe ) come from the same factory

So header design doesn't come into it unless you're talking about full race or killer b
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby peadya100 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

I can only assume that in MSRs test that he tuned for both headers... wouldn't be worthwhile otherwise.

But I think it's safe to rule out brands then if they're mostly all the same.

My UEL headers go on in 2 weeks so I guess I'll see soon enough what the difference will be in performance.. be it mid range or peak. Shame it's not the only mod with that tune so I could get an exact sign of where the gains are... which is what started this whole thing in the first place hahaha

The thing is MSR is so pro mid range over peak power it's not funny. So if he recommended the UEL header to me I trust him :good:

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 pm

peadya100 wrote:I can only assume that in MSRs test that he tuned for both headers... wouldn't be worthwhile otherwise.

The thing is MSR is so pro mid range over peak power it's not funny. So if he recommended the UEL header to me I trust him :good:

Did he though?

Probably a good thing for majority of people!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby peadya100 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:30 pm

Only he knows for sure... ill ask him in 2 weeks for you.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby dr20t » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I can completely appreciate and understand why Michael says the uel header is better for auto

My personal, untested and purely hypothetical opinion on this is due to the taller gearing in first and second gear of the 5eat compared to a 5mt/6mt, and combined with the way the torque Convertor multiplies load in an auto, that you want the best scavenging for low down torque (I mean 1500-2500rpm range)

The uel will help promote that as the irregular exhaust flow and pulsations in the uel header will help scavenge down low

Its much the same effect as higher exhaust backpressure in an n/a car up to a point of peak torque / airflow as it assists in "bunching" exhaust gasses (for want of a better term) to assist in building volume and exhaust energy (heat) to spool the turbo as compared with a manual
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby peadya100 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Man, I really need to learn more about tuning and these things... I struggled to keep up there Mick! Haha

But i trust you so that's making me even more confident about my purchase :D

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby shav » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:19 am

I cannot add anything to this thread other than I am intrigued and fascinated with the science behind the 2 designs of headers.

I have no interest in changing my UEL headers. I love the sound. Plus im not looking for every poofteeth of a kw. But to read of the differences and learning how best they operate is very educational.

Thanks guys
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific