Discovered a bit of a leak

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Discovered a bit of a leak

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 pm

I don't know much about the shafts and CV joints themselves on these models but I was reading another thread where people have had problem with non-genuine replacements as the CV joint design itself is different and causes noises/issues. Others could shed more light on this.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby THE SpecB » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Shaheenis wrote:I don't know much about the shafts and CV joints themselves on these models but I was reading another thread where people have had problem with non-genuine replacements as the CV joint design itself is different and causes noises/issues. Others could shed more light on this.

OEM or nothing in my opinion
Newport Blueeeee
THE SpecB

Car: Newport Blue SpecB GT

Postby peadya100 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I just went through the same thing. The grease from the CV boot was spraying up onto my dump and i had a big ploom of smoke come past my car when i stopped at lights... im surprised you couldnt smell it, mine had a very distinct smell.

Anyway, ultra tune replaced mine with a genuine boot for $180 from memory. :D
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm

That's a good price! :D Subaru did say if it's only been driven without oil for a short distance, it may still be ok (and only require a new boot). But usually it isn't. The car was smelling a bit after a sustained high speed run on a deserted road back from camping trip (a private road of course ;) ). But I thought that was because of the higher speeds. And add to that, the 'scenic' road before that turned out to be an hour long drive over a very rough road (badly corrugated and fair sized rocks). So my suspension and drivetrain definitely got a workout. And any of the rocks could've punctured the boot.
If the boot split at that point, I drove 150km+ after I lost the oil :?.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:42 pm

It shouldn't be oil, it is thick CV grease, messy stuff to deal with. Split boots are usually caused by worn joints and the metal filings mixing with grease and eventually wearing through from inside out. If you are lucky this is not the case and it is just boot perished with age and external dirt. You could buy the genuine boot and take it to a CV shop to have them clean it down, inspect and re-grease etc if joint ok.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Shaheenis wrote:It shouldn't be oil, it is thick CV grease, messy stuff to deal with. Split boots are usually caused by worn joints and the metal filings mixing with grease and eventually wearing through from inside out. If you are lucky this is not the case and it is just boot perished with age and external dirt. You could buy the genuine boot and take it to a CV shop to have them clean it down, inspect and re-grease etc if joint ok.

Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, definitely grease - I shouldn't have called it oil. Based on it wearing from the inside out, it makes it even less likely that most joints are still ok. So just replacing the boot will then not be a long-term fix. But some people might be lucky enough that the boot has just perished....
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby shav » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Im hoping mine is just the boot perishing and nothing more. Will find out next week.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:30 am

Mine also goes in next week (Tuesday). So I'll get them to have a look at the CV Join itself and go from there.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby shav » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 am

I'll report back my findings as well. Mines in on Thursday 19th.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Bezzza » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Sounds like week of the CV Boot issues haha!
Mine is being looked at Friday after I noticed a nasty smell and smoke streaming up through the engine bay the other day.
Little bit of oil like substance and green goop on the dump pipe is what I could find when having a quick look.

Will find out more when it goes in to be looked at.
mod -> tune -> drive -> get bored -> repeat...
Bezzza

Car: MY08 tb STi Wagon, 5AT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319

Postby shav » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Bezzza wrote:Sounds like week of the CV Boot issues haha!
Mine is being looked at Friday after I noticed a nasty smell and smoke streaming up through the engine bay the other day.
Little bit of oil like substance and green goop on the dump pipe is what I could find when having a quick look.

Will find out more when it goes in to be looked at.

haha. Thats 3 of us so far Ian. Any others? :lol:
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Ok, so the dealer called to advise me that my CV joint & shaft is still ok. I should've written down the exact prices but I roughly remember what they were. Replacing the boot, refilling with grease, and cleaning up the mess on the underside would be high $300 ($389 or around there iirc). Replacing the CV shaft would be high $400 ($480 I think they said). With such little difference, I went with replacing it. My car already has 160,000km and I intend to keep it for a long time. So saving under $100 wasn't worth another potential issue in a few years time.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby shav » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Ok, so the dealer called to advise me that my CV joint & shaft is still ok. I should've written down the exact prices but I roughly remember what they were. Replacing the boot, refilling with grease, and cleaning up the mess on the underside would be high $300 ($389 or around there iirc). Replacing the CV shaft would be high $400 ($480 I think they said). With such little difference, I went with replacing it. My car already has 160,000km and I intend to keep it for a long time. So saving under $100 wasn't worth another potential issue in a few years time.

Thanks for the update Tom. Looks like I'll be up for a big bill once I have everything done on Thursday. :?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:04 pm

So I just picked up the car and the bill was $598.30. I must've misheard them over the phone - was an extra $100. Lol, sorry. Hopefully yours will be cheaper, but it doesn't change my decision to get it fully replaced.

My quote for the Centre Diff Labour (just the labour) I got today is $550. That's the binding/jerking when turning at low speed (especially when car is warm). Quote with part was $2000. But I sourced the original part myself at $980. So saved almost $500 there :D
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby shav » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Ah ok. Did you go to Subaru or a private mechanic?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific