Discovered a bit of a leak

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Discovered a bit of a leak

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Subaru dealer for the CV shaft today. I have no doubt that independents can do it cheaper. Good independents will do just as good a job, but it's a very mixed bag.
Not sure who I'll go with for the Centre Diff. I bought the part from Tuspeed who ordered it from Japan.
And apparently my lower control arms are worn. That'll be $451.55 fitted yay :?
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Bezzza » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Had just the boot replaced and regreased on Friday, was a lot cheaper then what you were quoted, was done for $140.
Caught it early enough for there to be not a huge mess underneath and no other damage internally.

Still a touch smelly while the excess grease burns away but all good now :)
mod -> tune -> drive -> get bored -> repeat...
Bezzza

Car: MY08 tb STi Wagon, 5AT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319

Postby boofbuscus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 am

I have the same issue with my drivers side CV Boot ripped

I'd like to get an OEM boot to replace it and as you guys said Repco and other aftermarket one's were not as high quality.
Where can I get an OEM boot? I can walk to subaru docklands down the road, would they have it and would it be at a rip off price?
boofbuscus

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:40 am

Best place would be Subaru themselves. I usually find the dealer surprisingly fair with their prices. I'm sure other places can source genuine parts as well, but they all come from Subaru originally. And by the time that company puts their markup onto it, you might find it's not any cheaper (even if they do get a trade discount).

I don't think the rubber boot itself should cost much. What cost a lot was getting the whole CV shaft/joint replaced (like in my case). That was mid $300 for the part. But the rubber boot itself should be pretty inexpensive.

With really expensive parts, it's worth sourcing from overseas (Subaru in the US, or JapanParts). They are cheaper, but the postage can be a killer though. So with my $900 centre diff it was worth it, but paying $20-$30+ postage on a rubber boot that may be less than $75 (maybe even under $50), it's not. And you don't want to be waiting 2 weeks, since you could do damage to the CV joint driving around with little lubrication in the meantime.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby boofbuscus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks mate, yeah good point I'll head over to subaru docklands today and pick one up.

Would you recommend not driving with it in this condition? I picked up the car a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure how long it's been like this, it wasn't until I changed the oil on sunday that I saw it wasn't just loose but it was torn.
I won't be able to get a mechanic to look at it for a week or so.
If you recommend not driving with it how it is, I can use my other car to get to and from work till its fixed.
boofbuscus

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Yeah, hopefully it hasn't already done damage. The longer it goes, the less grease will be left for the CV joint. But you can't be sure until they inspect it. My mechanic said my joint was still ok when he inspected it. So I was given 2 options (and 2 prices). I think I wrote them up in an earlier post. But for me, the high labour costs made it worth getting the whole CV shaft replaced. But that's up to each person to decide. It's definitely still cheaper to just replace the boot.
So yeah, the less u drive on it, the higher your chances you'll still have an ok CV joint and be able to just replace the rubber boot if u want to.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

boofbuscus wrote:Thanks mate, yeah good point I'll head over to subaru docklands today and pick one up.

Would you recommend not driving with it in this condition? I picked up the car a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure how long it's been like this, it wasn't until I changed the oil on sunday that I saw it wasn't just loose but it was torn.
I won't be able to get a mechanic to look at it for a week or so.
If you recommend not driving with it how it is, I can use my other car to get to and from work till its fixed.

A1 Driveshaft in Collingwood or Statewide Driveshaft Services are competitive on parts and or labor :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby boofbuscus » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Yeah my friend/mechanic got me a new driveshaft from a1 and installed it for $260 (total price including parts and labour).
boofbuscus

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific