Who is running a silicon intake with engine cover?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Who is running a silicon intake with engine cover?

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Guys,

I just fitted a PSR silicon intake turbo inlet and MAF hose. I had to trim them both which I was disappointed with when they are supposed to be a direct fit. I have not completed the job yet and probably won't get a chance until this weekend. What I want to know is can I expect to still fit the engine cover with this installed? I probably should have researched this prior to purchasing but I got it at the same time as the Mishimoto TMIC so was more focused on that and got carried away in the pre-Christmas I must purchase everything hype :). I will be majorly bummed if engine cover won't fit and will likely go back to a stock hose. Let me know your experience and post a picture if you can.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Re: Who is running a silicon intake with engine cover?

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Guys,

I just fitted a PSR silicon intake turbo inlet and MAF hose. I had to trim them both which I was disappointed with when they are supposed to be a direct fit. I have not completed the job yet and probably won't get a chance until this weekend. What I want to know is can I expect to still fit the engine cover with this installed? I probably should have researched this prior to purchasing but I got it at the same time as the Mishimoto TMIC so was more focused on that and got carried away in the pre-Christmas I must purchase everything hype :). I will be majorly bummed if engine cover won't fit and will likely go back to a stock hose. Let me know your experience and post a picture if you can.

Cheers,

1) they shouldn't need trimming AT ALL (trust me on this one). The SFB MAF hose physicall goes into the inlet hose, and you just hoseclamp them together. That said if you've trimmed it to fit with the adapter, no biggie.

2) yes, however I am pretty sure you need to trim it, especially if the crankcase vent line is on the top. It WILL FIT , you just might need to cut a hole out of it.

3) stock hose is garbage, do not refit!
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks Matt. Mine is the PSR one and doesn't have any connections on top so should be ok from that point of view. The PSR is very fat around that section though, moreso than the Kobe in some of your pics so will have to wait and see.

Wish I knew one went in the other before. I did actually contemplate that was the case once fitted (before trimming) and made some poor attempt to push it in and then thought nah surely not. It didn't help that I had spent an hour reading various posts on the forums where members had trimmed various brands to fit. There you go :P.

I just want to buy a new piece of breather hose for the one that you need to extend before I complete the job.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Thanks Matt. Mine is the PSR one and doesn't have any connections on top so should be ok from that point of view. The PSR is very fat around that section though, moreso than the Kobe in some of your pics so will have to wait and see.

Wish I knew one went in the other before. I did actually contemplate that was the case once fitted (before trimming) and made some poor attempt to push it in and then thought nah surely not. It didn't help that I had spent an hour reading various posts on the forums where members had trimmed various brands to fit. There you go :P.

I just want to buy a new piece of breather hose for the one that you need to extend before I complete the job.

Cheers,

I'm sure you nearly have it done now, but you should also consider installing a catch can now (or in the near future anyway) It should be standard procedure for any turbo car. You will probably also need to replace the throttle body hose at some point as the gasket on the factory one tends to prolapse.

Don't stress - I cut my PSR one too much because the BOV hole didn't line up and had to buy a kobe one, so you're not as stupid as me!

You can get breather hose from bursons or wherever (I went to enzed and the bastards were closed xmas to new years! Don't they know I need hoses!)
HardwareBoB

Postby triston » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:23 pm

I have a Kobe sfb and turbo inlet, the engine cover fits - its a tight fit, but you shouldn't have to trim it (I assume the hoses are all similar sizes)
triston

Car: 08 GT-B tuned by Sti

Postby peadya100 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:41 pm

I have the PSR inlet. Fits fine with the engine cover. No trimming required. I'll find you a picture in my profile.

Edit - there's a pic on this page of my thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072&start=465
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Cool good to know. I have a Mishimoto TB hose replacement that came with the TMIC so all good on that front. One day when I can be stuffed I might put a can on this but at the moment my blowby is minimal and I am not running high boost. I did a breather project on my old wagon making a custom breather and catch-can setup incorporating a one way valve to force all breather gases to pass through a single three port can. I saw yours on your members page, reminded me of mine when I saw the stainless scourer baffling ;).

Adam yours must be installed inside the other one. The MAF hose on mine literally was 1-2 inches more than could physically fit, the turbo inlet hose was fine. As there is not much length for clamps on the straight sections of the MAF hose I trimmed the MAF end of the turbo inlet hose where there is plenty. The two hoses meet on the adapter and two clamps. Would have been a neater join using the insert method but it is covered by clamps and rad hoses anyways.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Manaz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:38 am

I have the Kobe Motorsport SFB & turbo inlet. The engine cover should fit fine over these, regardless of brand.

The only hose I've had to trim was the AVO throttle body hose (from the stock TMIC to the throttle body - it was too long by about 10mm (but that's pretty widely known to be the case I believe).

Of course, with my PW TMIC, I can't fit the engine cover any more (though I may do something to address that...).
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby vroy2007 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 am

I bought a PSR one, didn't fit properly! Didn't have one of the rear hose connections. Returned it! Ordered a Perrin one! Big difference in build quality!
vroy2007

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty Gt Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25261

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:33 am

vroy2007 wrote:I bought a PSR one, didn't fit properly! Didn't have one of the rear hose connections. Returned it! Ordered a Perrin one! Big difference in build quality!

That is because you got the pre facelift hose - post face lift has more connections. I had a psr hose that seemed fine until I butchered it needlessly, replaced it with a Kobe hose, fine.
HardwareBoB

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:56 pm

I agree the Perrin looks by far the best quality but a nice price too. At the end of the day they all do the same thing when installed properly.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:12 pm

So here is a pic of the PSR silicon intake installed after being trimmed (apparently not required). Under the two rad overflow hoses the silicon hoses butt up against each other over the adapter.

On a side note, I was very please to see that my old TMIC which has been off the car for a week and sitting on its end in the shed does not have even a single drop of oil visible in the outlet. Not bad for a motor with 120K.

I haven't tried the engine cover yet as I have been checking for leaks etc but will try that soon. So far I have not been able to mount the boost solenoid back into its original position due to the hose attachments on the PSR so not sure how others have managed but interested to know? Or see close up pics of how you have plumbed things. I will probably leave as is at this stage as it won't do any harm.

Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Cable tie :)
HardwareBoB

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Just thought I would update this thread to confirm my experience is the same as some others, the engine cover fits fine. Unfortunately I could not re-fit the boost solenoid bracket as it interferes with the PSR hose breather inlets so this is sitting there but it is low enough not to foul the engine cover and no issue , just not as neat and tidy as I would like but that is what the engine cover is for anyway.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby oldmate » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:33 pm

For the guys running the kobe sfb and inlet, what did you use to join the two together?
My05 Liberty GT Premium Wagon - Team White - Custom 3" Dump Pipe - Ultrex Cat Back Exhaust/Custom Twin Tips - K&N Filter - DIY Mesh Grill - Resonectomy - 18" King Wheels (Drifta) - Kobe Motorsport Silicon Inlet + SFB - Kobe Motorsport 50/50 BOV - Anycarlink 1080d - Whiteline Rear Sway Bars - AVO HD Mounts - Trailboss HD Towbar - DBA T2 Slotted Rotors Front And Rear
oldmate

Car: MY05 2.0T Liberty GT Wagon

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific