Who is running a silicon intake with engine cover?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Who is running a silicon intake with engine cover?

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:21 pm

oldmate wrote:For the guys running the kobe sfb and inlet, what did you use to join the two together?

Does one slide over the other? The SFB should JUST fit into the turbo inlet pipe.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Caution » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:12 pm

I got a metal coupler that slid inside the two when I got the Kobe sfb/inlet.
http://i.imgur.com/FdMWwSl.jpg
Caution

Car: MY08 GT-B

Postby kiwigene » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Caution wrote:I got a metal coupler that slid inside the two when I got the Kobe sfb/inlet.

Same here. Should come supplied if you buy the two together. Contact Jack, I'm sure he'll sort you out.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 pm

kiwigene wrote:
Caution wrote:I got a metal coupler that slid inside the two when I got the Kobe sfb/inlet.

Same here. Should come supplied if you buy the two together. Contact Jack, I'm sure he'll sort you out.

This might sound silly, but it's better not to use the coupler if the two pipes fit over each other snug.

Even though AVO (or whoever AVO copied) originally designed the coupler for the pipes, going coupler-less works better in terms of air flow (less restriction/crap in the way).

We've fitted the Kobe pipes to a friends WRX and it worked great there.
alexeiwoody

Postby kiwigene » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:02 am

alexeiwoody wrote:
kiwigene wrote:

This might sound silly, but it's better not to use the coupler if the two pipes fit over each other snug.

Even though AVO (or whoever AVO copied) originally designed the coupler for the pipes, going coupler-less works better in terms of air flow (less restriction/crap in the way).

We've fitted the Kobe pipes to a friends WRX and it worked great there.

I'm guessing that was the original idea since the SFB goes from ~75mm down to ~65mm - so it can fit inside the main inlet, which goes from ~75mm down to ~55mm(?).
But I guess people were finding the two pieces didn't always stay joined together(?) You can't use hose clamps as it would just crush and deform the silicone.
I don't think the smooth metal coupler between SFB and main inlet would make much difference to air flow given the main restriction is determined by the turbo inlet diameter.
The other option for the manufacturers would have been to make the SFB a constant 75mm and provide and straight (non-stepped) coupler.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:35 pm

kiwigene wrote:
I'm guessing that was the original idea since the SFB goes from ~75mm down to ~65mm - so it can fit inside the main inlet, which goes from ~75mm down to ~55mm(?).
But I guess people were finding the two pieces didn't always stay joined together(?) You can't use hose clamps as it would just crush and deform the silicone.
I don't think the smooth metal coupler between SFB and main inlet would make much difference to air flow given the main restriction is determined by the turbo inlet diameter.
The other option for the manufacturers would have been to make the SFB a constant 75mm and provide and straight (non-stepped) coupler.

Sure you can - just cut the coupler down so it's only the small section and put the hoseclamp around the whole thing.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:55 pm

kiwigene wrote:I'm guessing that was the original idea since the SFB goes from ~75mm down to ~65mm - so it can fit inside the main inlet, which goes from ~75mm down to ~55mm(?).

The problem is - the coupler connection isn't smooth. If the Kobe is anything like the AVO coupler, there is a gap between the metal and the silicone on the smaller side. This is where turbulence comes into play, regardless of the pipe diameters involved (and while we're on that point, the main restriction is not the turbo inlet diameter!).

If you have the stock turbo, I'm sure no-one really cares, but on a proper turbo and a good big MAF intake, it would be something to get rid of pronto.
alexeiwoody

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific