Vf52 or Blouch 380xt for a 5EAT

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Vf52 or Blouch 380xt for a 5EAT

Postby torana74 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Yep another which turbo question. Used the search and the numerous threads, but didn't quite get the answers i was looking for.
As I've now claimed the lib as mine, the tweaks have started and the vf46 is up for a swap. To what I'm not sure hence the question. I see a lot of vf52 upgrades and many happy. Though i suspect that one of the reasons this upgrade is and became so popular is it's relative cheaper price (second hand than getting new) but also as it's an oem part.
As this will be a new turbo, the price difference is negligible but concerns are about driveability are. Nearly all the threads and opinions all over are based in a manual car. Autos seem to a different pool.
Basically, the car is a well looked after specB , 100k, tuned, oil change at every 5 since new. Parts list waiting to go on are PW top mount, invidia dump, 3 port, dw65cc, panel filter and hopefully some sti quads.
Car has been great and reliable. Would like it to stay that way so no over the top get ready for heads lifting type monster turbos required and besides, it spends most of the time crawling in sydney traffic but like most, the want...no make that need for more is there :)
So my thoughts are vf52?..... a little nicer than what's already there or possibly a 380xt with 7cm housing? with results I'm not sure.
Opinions and advice much appreciated. Or if anyone has other suggestions.
torana74

Car: 07 2.5T GT specB

Re: Vf52 or Blouch 380xt for a 5EAT

Postby Manaz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 am

Check my profile thread - your car sounds very much like mine (5EAT, 100,000km, oil changes every 5,000kms since I got it). I've got pretty much the mods you're thinking of (PW TMIC, VF52, Indivia dump, STI quads). I've got a pierburg 3-port waiting to be installed, as well as an intercooler spray kit.

I can't talk for the 380XT obviously as I don't have one, but I am *very* happy with the VF52 on my car (I also had it ceramic coated, along with the dump). It was good with the stock exhaust, it'a a little bit silly (in a good way) with the 3" turbo-back (I have a TCP 3" mid/y-pipe as well).

The 5EAT should cope with between 180kW at 200kW, depending on tune and how you treat it (Matt from Kido_Tune says his tunes look after the gearbox, and thus far, I'm not inclined to disagree with him). The VF52 probably has a bit of headroom in it at those levels (which is good, you don't want to push a turbo too close to its limits). The stock engine should be fine at those levels too - they don't tend to lift heads until over 22psi (my tune keeps the turbo at ~18psi).
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Manaz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 am

I just realised you're in Sydney too - I'd be happy to show you the car if you'd like (depending where you are, we can arrange a meetup).
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby torana74 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Manaz and would definitely like to see your setup. Matt has done the original tune and I very happy. Car drives super well and logs clean. Took a week to want more powaa ;) Just want to up it some....as seems the norm but also weary of restrictions.
Pm coming re meeting up
torana74

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:23 pm

torana74 wrote:Yep another which turbo question. Used the search and the numerous threads, but didn't quite get the answers i was looking for.
As I've now claimed the lib as mine, the tweaks have started and the vf46 is up for a swap. To what I'm not sure hence the question. I see a lot of vf52 upgrades and many happy. Though i suspect that one of the reasons this upgrade is and became so popular is it's relative cheaper price (second hand than getting new) but also as it's an oem part.
As this will be a new turbo, the price difference is negligible but concerns are about driveability are. Nearly all the threads and opinions all over are based in a manual car. Autos seem to a different pool.
Basically, the car is a well looked after specB , 100k, tuned, oil change at every 5 since new. Parts list waiting to go on are PW top mount, invidia dump, 3 port, dw65cc, panel filter and hopefully some sti quads.
Car has been great and reliable. Would like it to stay that way so no over the top get ready for heads lifting type monster turbos required and besides, it spends most of the time crawling in sydney traffic but like most, the want...no make that need for more is there :)
So my thoughts are vf52?..... a little nicer than what's already there or possibly a 380xt with 7cm housing? with results I'm not sure.
Opinions and advice much appreciated. Or if anyone has other suggestions.

vf52 is a fantastic turbo for what it is - makes great torque. It's not just about the price, but value for money. Also obviously the smaller you keep the turbo the less chances you're giving the engine to pop.

Got a Blouch/Garret BB 20G 8cm rear AND headers on mine -(depending on how good your tuner is) it's still beautiful to drive, and the top end brings a smile everytime :) My engine is slightly built though.

Keeping the headers stock, doing the turbo silicon inlet, keeping the intercooler on top - will all keep the lag minimal. If finances allow get a ball bearing turbo and better yet a twinscroll ball bearing. Twinscroll will need some more exhaust pieces to fit.

Driving the car in S# will keep the gearbox changing into the right gear rather than sitting in 4/5th (will do it in S/I) - will greatly improve the car. Being in the right gear is probably the only thing you really need to worry about on the 2.5L - even if you slap a GT35R and make 350kwatw it will drive better in S# than a vf46 in S (aka the GT35R will be spooling in 3rd while the vf46 will be in 5th maybe 4th).

As the saying goes, go for the smallest turbo that you need to get to your power/torque goals.

Lastly, but not least-ly, highly recommend getting a dyno tune for any serious turbo upgrade. Someone who knows the limits of the engine and is a careful tuner - like MSR would be my top suggestion. I've tuned with 4-5 different tuners now, basically all the top tuners on this forum, and for subarus - Michael is the best and final one I've seen.

All the best man :D
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Gra's GT Lib » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:24 pm

twinscroll BB ftw vf49, vf53, vf56 will meet your needs
Gra's GT Lib

Car: MY05 GT Liberty

Postby Legacylad » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Another option you might want to check out is a TD05 16g.
I'm running a kinugawa in my 5eat spec B and after Matt touched it up I'm really happy with the performance.
Good value for money here too. Bolts straight up, cheap to buy new, spools up quickly and matches really well to the auto trans. Mines been going strong for a few years now with no issues at all.
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Postby torana74 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 pm

alexeiwoody wrote: It's not just about the price, but value for money.

alexeiwoody, exactly. Given there are so many options around similar dollars trying to find the best value for me is the dilemma. Twin scroll would be sweet, but would also encourage me to start getting carried away :D Too many toys at the moment though.
Torque is sweet on the street. I'm never one to consistently ring it's neck and it will never be a track car. It's deciding which will be most efficient in producing the goods without over stressing everything. Even though I'm in the auto game, I'm too old to be doing late night rebuilds on the daily but still haven't reached the point of giving up on living and settled on a camry ;)

When you say yours is 'slightly built' , what exactly do you mean? Head gaskets and studs?

Totally agree with dyno tune when starting to push the envelope. Well pretty much always nice to have it dyno'ed in a controlled environment and not have to worry about traffic or speeding fines for starters but also it's a lot easier to safely watch all parameters. Combined with a road tune as other factors contribute to drive ability. Definitely need to have trust in your tuner and their experience. Thankfully so far am very happy with my choice and have no reason to doubt future tunes will be just as spot on. Will admit though that it's always an interest to see the amazing knowledge of some of the tuners around like Michael. There's definitely a lot of hacks out there that have no idea or care for that matter.

Excellent advice and thank you very much.
torana74

Postby torana74 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Gra's GT Lib wrote:twinscroll BB ftw vf49, vf53, vf56 will meet your needs

Gra's GT Lib, its tempting... but must resist..must :)
torana74

Postby torana74 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Legacylad wrote:Another option you might want to check out is a TD05 16g.
I'm running a kinugawa in my 5eat spec B and after Matt touched it up I'm really happy with the performance.
Good value for money here too. Bolts straight up, cheap to buy new, spools up quickly and matches really well to the auto trans. Mines been going strong for a few years now with no issues at all.

Thanks LegacyLad. I was looking at their performance upgraded billet wheeled ones, but for some reason felt better to stay with the 52. Possibly as I didn't hear of many with them on the auto. Good to know you've been happy with your setup. Hmmm options options.
torana74

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:44 pm

iv got the td05-16G on my 6mt currently and i dont really find it thats amazing, fine for A to B but excitement is pretty limited after 2nd gear.

EDIT: if your going to go ahead with your listed mods i would suggest a bigger/ more expensive turbo. Price probably shouldnt be a determining factor but by that i mean theres no point spending a couple grand on good supporting mods for only a 'slightly better than stock' el cheapo turbo (td05-16g). Not sure what the specs of a VF52 are, doesnt seem to be a spec sheet? Blouch sounds good! 8)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby jslayz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:54 pm

I run a Blouch 1.5xtr 8cm and it spools fast, like under 3000rpm...... then holds full boost 20psi to 7750.....nice unit.
Make me an offer on pm and it can be yours.....
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:47 am

For a stock block auto most of these 400hp turbos with the smaller exhaust housings and cfm or flow figures in the 500-600 range should suffice. With good eg 3port boost control and the right tune, just dial in the max boost for the power level you feel comfortable with, for headroom and reliability in mind. The benefit of the higher flowing turbo is to not be maxed out, whilst maintaining good response.
Eg Coyotes example of e85 12psi for 180atw VF52 iirc...
I expect 98 15psi 180atw with an avo400s.
Nothing wrong with leaving a lot on the table since its a street car.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby blacktop™ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 am

Blouch 380xt would be great on the 2.5 auto.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby jslayz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:47 am

blacktop™ wrote:Blouch 380xt would be great on the 2.5 auto.

I think maj3sticrow has one actually....
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific