Exhaust Sounds & Options

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Exhaust Sounds & Options

Postby Phong1704 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Hey guys,

I'm driving an automatic 07 spec B and I'm looking to get myself a Christmas present this year just wondering if there was anyone in Sydney who has done, dump pipes + mid pipe + y pipe to stock muffles? I want to know what it sounds like in person as I really don't want a car that drones. Is there anyone here willing to allow me to sit in their car while they go around the block? I promise to take my shoes off before I get in :angel:

Further to this point, what brands/where to buy and do you guys personally think it was worth it? I know people here are saying they aren't getting the full potential from it going to stock mufflers however I really don't like loud cars anymore.

I'm also considering the Pierburg 3 port solenoid anyone running these on their cars have any issues with it? from what I've read the only real issue is mounting the bugger under the engine cover even with the custom mount that one of the boys were making.

Any advice would be great guys as I've just came from bikes and I'm new to modding cars.
Phong1704

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec B!tcchh!

Re: Exhaust Sounds & Options

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:31 am

Drone is more pronounced in a wagon probably, so qualify which maybe...
Mid muff mod on the center pipe or sidebranch resonator to quell drone.
Stock or stock mod muffs work well with a 3" tbe and mid muff... (my current config)
Big straight through muffs are deeper at idle, scream at wot, but for me (wagon) are simply too loud everywhere else.
Or I could try El headers, 2nd cat and a sidebranch resonator to complement the mid muff.
Isolation mount the 3 port on a diy mount.
They can produce an audible solenoid type rattle when working.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:20 pm

So having had many exhaust set ups I will add my opinions.
I first (aside from stock) had unequal length stock headers of a post facelift with a TCP exhuast. It wasn't externally loud but internally it had quite a resonance. And that played out terrible boxer note that alerted everyone that something was up.
Secondly I had the same setup with some equal length headers. The car sounded like a conventional 4 cylinder and much more pleasant to drive. No drove, just an amazing shriek when it was on WOT.
Now it has a front low mount turbo on near enough to equal length headers with a 3.5" dump. It is loud.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby Phong1704 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Drone is more pronounced in a wagon probably, so qualify which maybe...
Mid muff mod on the center pipe or sidebranch resonator to quell drone.
Stock or stock mod muffs work well with a 3" tbe and mid muff... (my current config)
Big straight through muffs are deeper at idle, scream at wot, but for me (wagon) are simply too loud everywhere else.
Or I could try El headers, 2nd cat and a sidebranch resonator to complement the mid muff.
Isolation mount the 3 port on a diy mount.
They can produce an audible solenoid type rattle when working.

Appreciate the advice bigBADbenny I drive the sedan version. from reading on this forum I've learnt that TBE will spread the power out more evenly but to be honest I want most of the power down low as I will hardly go to track and all that spread out power won't really be used. I heard the best way to get low down power is to do dump pipes but I figured if I'm going to take it to the shop I might as well get some exhaust work done now to save $$$ on labour next time.

Do you know where I can find a clip of the rattle sound you're referring to? I can see that a lot of people here have the pierburg solenoid, though I was looking at the grimm and the cobb and they seem to be made of much better material and come with a mount what are peoples thoughts on these the cobb and grimm. I believe the grimm can't be installed without a tune but that's the limit of my knowledge on these two options.
Phong1704

Postby Phong1704 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm

kiahatsiu wrote:So having had many exhaust set ups I will add my opinions.
I first (aside from stock) had unequal length stock headers of a post facelift with a TCP exhuast. It wasn't externally loud but internally it had quite a resonance. And that played out terrible boxer note that alerted everyone that something was up.
Secondly I had the same setup with some equal length headers. The car sounded like a conventional 4 cylinder and much more pleasant to drive. No drove, just an amazing shriek when it was on WOT.
Now it has a front low mount turbo on near enough to equal length headers with a 3.5" dump. It is loud.

Excuse my noobness but what is a TCP exhaust?

Is the set up you have now very loud? what kind of price range am I looking at for that set up? and what kind of power increases do you notice?
Phong1704

Postby kiahatsiu » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:23 pm

TCP is a brand.
If you want an exhaust set up like the one on my car now budget about 6k. There is a few man hours/expensive bits in the header/turbo end of the system. I pretty much assure you that you don't want or need to go down that path.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby Phong1704 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 pm

lol sorry I zoned out after you said 6k :lol: that's way too far off my budget I was looking more realistically at 1.5k for some pipes and dumps.
Phong1704

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:44 am

Phong1704 wrote:lol sorry I zoned out after you said 6k :lol: that's way too far off my budget I was looking more realistically at 1.5k for some pipes and dumps.

Get a dump pipe and rear mufflers, no centre pipe needed.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Phong1704 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Phong1704 wrote:lol sorry I zoned out after you said 6k :lol: that's way too far off my budget I was looking more realistically at 1.5k for some pipes and dumps.

Get a dump pipe and rear mufflers, no centre pipe needed.

Hey Matt,

Firstly thanks for tuning my car! It's an absolute joy to drive now. Can you recommend any brands or where to buy the dump or the rear muffs? will putting the rear muffs = drone? and how much of an increase would I be seeing with just dump and muffs?

Also can I run a cobb or grimm 3 port solenoid with the tune you put on my car? or will I need to retune on install?
Phong1704

Postby shav » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Phong, not going to speak on behalf of Matt but I will say something in behalf of my own experiences.

Firstly, Im running an Invidia DP (aus spec) which I bought from pro speed racing. Great quality, but a very tight fit between the cat and auto trans. Still I have experienced any negative issues from it being so close, as long as its not touching.

Second, Mufflers I have are Ultrex. They are good value as I went the full DP back system. s/s system, reasonable quality but for the price Im not complaining. If I had the funds I'd go the quads from tbear. They look amazing and fit spot on. Plus the note I have heard is not droney, nor overtly loud. Its apparently a perfect blend. Again it's a personal choice but if yo have funds, the quads are the way to go, and they look better than a big bore single tip any day. I will eventually be getting mine changed I know that much.

Third, Im running a Pierburg 3 port. Nothing wrong with the Cobb or Grimspeed units from what Ive read, just that Matt recommended that brand to me and I followed his recommendation. Then I got Matt to fit it. Its worth getting the 3 port mount as well for neat fitment otherwise you are relying on cable ties.

As far as power increase in concerned, I never had mine on the dyno to compare power outputs, but I can certainly say that it was a definite very noticeable increase in torque in the low to mid range. Which is right where you use it most.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Manaz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Phong1704 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm driving an automatic 07 spec B and I'm looking to get myself a Christmas present this year just wondering if there was anyone in Sydney who has done, dump pipes + mid pipe + y pipe to stock muffles? I want to know what it sounds like in person as I really don't want a car that drones. Is there anyone here willing to allow me to sit in their car while they go around the block? I promise to take my shoes off before I get in :angel:

Further to this point, what brands/where to buy and do you guys personally think it was worth it? I know people here are saying they aren't getting the full potential from it going to stock mufflers however I really don't like loud cars anymore.

I'm also considering the Pierburg 3 port solenoid anyone running these on their cars have any issues with it? from what I've read the only real issue is mounting the bugger under the engine cover even with the custom mount that one of the boys were making.

Any advice would be great guys as I've just came from bikes and I'm new to modding cars.

I had exactly that exhaust setup until I put my STI mufflers on - and could probably get back to it relatively easily if required. The car was still pretty quiet with the stock mufflers - the STI mufflers really open up the noise. :) Stock mufflers cost you only around 5kW according to a few tuners - your stock VF46 turbo holds you back more.

I had Invidia downpipe (auto specific) and TCP midpipe. I'm happy with both. My dump pipe is ceramic coated.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby spec.B » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Phong,

If it's not too late, I just got dump + center + Y pipe to stock mufflers (not STI) and a tune last week. Barely louder than stock but a nice note, can hear the turbo more than anything. Huge torque increase.

I'm in Sydney's inner west if you want to have a listen and I can take you for a spin.
spec.B

Return to 2.5T engine specific