Boost Control

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Boost Control

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm

LorrenK(another Newcastle car)
Melowe
LinaChau
To name a few. Ask them

Not fussed either way. I am referring to using external controllers that raise boost to a static level with the ECU having no fail safe to protect the engine when a fault occurs. Essentially IAM is there to act as a fuse, an external controller bypasses that fuse so the engine can maintain high boost despite it needing to pull timing to its limit.

Scare mongering? Just pointing out the drawbacks of bypassing a safety feature in any tune. Dont care if you take it back to MRT, factory boost control is more than adequate
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Sean82 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:38 pm

gradg wrote:Hey guys,

So I've read through about the two options for boost control solenoids.

What I'm wondering is this, the car I've got has had an Ecutek tune at what I'm presuming is stock boost. However, the exhaust, intake and top mount have been modified on this car and my experience with subaru motors is that when these are done, it tends to draw more boost than stock.

The VF46 I'm led to believe is an 8psi wastegate? correct me if i'm wrong.

What I'm wondering is what am I best do do here as far as boost control goes? I'm not very interested in putting in a 3port solenoid if it means I have to retune.

The car is an MY08 Liberty GT SpecB

Thoughts?

G

How do you know it's tuned to stock boost?
Have you a boost gauge fitted? Have you attached a thingy (there are many available) to the OBDII port to read the ECU?

And one more; how is the car running?
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby gradg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:LorrenK(another Newcastle car)
Melowe
LinaChau
To name a few. Ask them

Scare mongering? Just pointing out the drawbacks of bypassing a safety feature in any tune. Dont care if you take it back to MRT, factory boost control is more than adequate

I'm not sure what I need to ask them, and how it relates at all to the OP.

Yes, if I was someone that clearly had ZERO idea about turbos/controls/ECUs/whatever, someone (a tuner no less) telling me that my car was about to blow up would probably worry me quite a bit, maybe even enough to go and get a tune that would be a waste of time given it wasn't the "issue"

If you'd have read my original post properly instead of jumping in and just telling me that my engine was a POS, there'd be no problem.

I outlined I understood what the issues are with the boost control options. You telling me that factory boost control is more than adequate would have been enough of a response, to be honest. It won't be going "back" to MRT if I ever decide to go down that road. I've been around long enough to know not to do that.

The car runs fine, Sport Sharp is tuned at 10PSI and Sharp is tuned at 14PSI.

Can we close this up?
gradg

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B 6MT Wagon
Profile URL: www.grahamgee.com

Postby Manaz » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:53 pm

gradg wrote:Sport Sharp is tuned at 10PSI and Sharp is tuned at 14PSI.

Can we close this up?

I assume you mean Sport is 10PSI, S# is 14PSI? They seem low for a "tuned" car - you noted ECUTEK tune and you believe stock boost levels, but I'd be surprised if stock boost levels remained with any sort of tune of a turbo vehicle. Looking at dyno charts for ECUTEK tuned stock post-FL GTs, they get most of their gains in the mid-range (not at the top-end, where the stock turbo runs out of puff), and I can't see them getting as much gain as they claim without playing with boost pressures.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Stock boost is 13.5psi
MRT XA and XB kits target 16.49psi and try and hold that boost level to rev limit.

As I said, get a Learning View done and atleast log it. Throttle Tip In Enrichment Boost Error table will be pulling fuel trying to get it to spool... hence why I posted about knock/pinging.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific