Vf52 purchased hope I won't be dissapointed?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Vf52 purchased hope I won't be dissapointed?

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Caution wrote:Newbie, make a build thread!

I wanna see youtube vids aswell.

Ok

Why ?
Newbie GT

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:56 pm

gen3v8 wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:For me personally unless it's a dedicated race machine....I don't see the point of a manual. People often use the argument that a manual lets you feel the car more....but with a 5 speed auto and the ability to select gears with a press of a button, you get at least 80% of that feeling and 95% of the performance...for that 10% of the time you actually hoon your car.

You also loose power/performance. I did not know this but a quote from an auto owner has educated me 8)

Loss of power if an auto
Newbie GT

Postby peadya100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:07 pm

gen3v8 wrote:You also loose power/performance. I did not know this but a quote from an auto owner has educated me 8)

Technically the autos do make a bit less power than manuals. But at our level of mods its only 5-10wkw... you cant even feel that. Thats less than the variance between 2 identical cars by different tuners.

Having been in your car Dave, I felt your car was a bit slower than mine even from the passenger seat, and we have the same mods. Auto vs Manual.

What autos do very well is eliminate driver error. Having always owned manual cars, im happy to admit that not every launch was flawless. But in my auto, I nail the launch every time hahaha
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:21 pm

peadya100 wrote:
gen3v8 wrote:You also loose power/performance. I did not know this but a quote from an auto owner has educated me 8)

Technically the autos do make a bit less power than manuals. But at our level of mods its only 5-10wkw... you cant even feel that. Thats less than the variance between 2 identical cars by different tuners.

Having been in your car Dave, I felt your car was a bit slower than mine even from the passenger seat, and we have the same mods. Auto vs Manual.

What autos do very well is eliminate driver error. Having always owned manual cars, im happy to admit that not every launch was flawless. But in my auto, I nail the launch every time hahaha

:) manual any day still Adam but each to their own
Newbie GT

Postby peadya100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Totally agree newbie. If I didn't live in a busy part of sydney id have a manual too. Was just commenting on the power and speed thing.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby Manaz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 pm

peadya100 wrote:Totally agree newbie. If I didn't live in a busy part of sydney id have a manual too. Was just commenting on the power and speed thing.

I'm the same - if the majority of my driving wasn't in stop-start traffic, I'd much rather a manual.

But having exclusively owned manual cars since I got my full license (the family had automatics, so I did my test in an auto, but I went through the system when the restriction on auto-only was removed once you got off your Ps), I got tired of doing the manual thing in stop-start traffic - 18 years of it is enough proof for anyone that I can do it, so now I drive an auto.

I can do my own gear selection if I wish - but often I just let the TCU do its thing. I am glad I had the Kido tune though, because before it the gearbox drove me nuts.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Newbie GT wrote:
gen3v8 wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:For me personally unless it's a dedicated race machine....I don't see the point of a manual. People often use the argument that a manual lets you feel the car more....but with a 5 speed auto and the ability to select gears with a press of a button, you get at least 80% of that feeling and 95% of the performance...for that 10% of the time you actually hoon your car.

You also loose power/performance. I did not know this but a quote from an auto owner has educated me 8)

Loss of power if an auto

Not quite correct, power yes, performance no. While the Tq converter is slipping, there is power lost to churning the transmission fluid but the car still accelerates quickly because the engine is spinning at a higher rate that the wheel speed would dictate, if there was no slippage.

Add the fact that there is no torque loss during shifts - and you get consistently quicker 1/4 times (and pulling away in traffic). A manual's "extra power" is pointless if the car is slower in a straight line.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Alexi a manual with the same mods would be quicker in a straight line say 0-120
Newbie GT

Postby peadya100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Newbie GT wrote:Alexi a manual with the same mods would be quicker in a straight line say 0-120

Not necessarily newbie. Manuals are too open to driver error. No matter how awesome a driver you think you are, you cant change as quickly/efficiently in a manual as an auto can. This is my first auto, and used to have the same opinion as you, but im seeing the error in my ways now.

In my opinion the only advantage to a manual is its way more fun on a track or on a spirited drive down a twisty road :D

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Newbie GT wrote:Alexi a manual with the same mods would be quicker in a straight line say 0-120

I won't get into the 2 big assumptions you make in your statement, instead let's just say this - your and Adam's cars are identically modded, why don't you two put them side by side and tell us all what happened?

I think you both have X force TBE's and vf52s? You just have to make sure you're running similar boost :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby vroy2007 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 pm

With Matts (Kido) Launch control and flat foot shifting on my manual its pretty difficult to get it wrong. Surely off the line on a quarter mile a auto would be slower cause you couldn't launch as hard? i've tried the launch control feature a few times an the car gets of the line pretty hard. I' am so tempted to upgrade to a VF52 reading this thread!
vroy2007

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty Gt Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25261

Postby peadya100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 pm

vroy2007 wrote:With Matts (Kido) Launch control and flat foot shifting on my manual its pretty difficult to get it wrong. Surely off the line on a quarter mile a auto would be slower cause you couldn't launch as hard? i've tried the launch control feature a few times an the car gets of the line pretty hard. I' am so tempted to upgrade to a VF52 reading this thread!

Yeah I think a manual with launch control would be tough to beat.
Autos do a similar thing with brake boosting, but its no launch control.

peadya100
-stickered-

Postby dr20t » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:51 am

peadya100 wrote:
vroy2007 wrote:With Matts (Kido) Launch control and flat foot shifting on my manual its pretty difficult to get it wrong. Surely off the line on a quarter mile a auto would be slower cause you couldn't launch as hard? i've tried the launch control feature a few times an the car gets of the line pretty hard. I' am so tempted to upgrade to a VF52 reading this thread!

Not to sound like a dick here but I'm pretty sure I have the fastest 60ft time in a Gen 4 (going off legacy GT.com) and mines an auto.

That was also on my old setup making 250awkw on the stock box, not the current setup

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby cliffo3rb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:13 am

dr20t wrote:
peadya100 wrote:

Not to sound like a dick here but I'm pretty sure I have the fastest 60ft time in a Gen 4 (going off legacy GT.com) and mines an auto.

That was also on my old setup making 250awkw on the stock box, not the current setup

Mick

What was it Mick?

I've found it very tricky to get the car off the line in a hurry with my best time a 2.3

I would like to a least do a 2.0 which would see me in the 13's
cliffo3rb

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0rb

Postby jslayz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:26 am

With my boost at lower RPM (WGDC) sorted I'm looking forward to improving mine.
Good (and lucky) manual drivers have a harder launch than I could previously achieve.

Wasnt this about a VF52 at one point?? :lol:

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific