WRX 2008 STI top mount fitment?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: WRX 2008 STI top mount fitment?

Postby cynner » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:24 am

My current tuner (Matt) has said he saw a noticeable improvement in my logs with the new TMIC (with vf46). Maybe he can explain how it has helped...
cynner

Car: MY08 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23586

Postby shav » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Interesting subject.

*subscribed*

Seeing as I'm not really interested in upgrading my stock turbo, I see no reason to increase the size of the TMIC based on the info given here. If anything, the thought of a spray kit has be interested more. Not just because its cheaper, but it just seems makes my stock TMIC more efficient.

Different horses for different courses no doubt.

My mate did a TMIC, TBE, rear sway and ECUTEK tune on his 09' XT Foz a while back with SnJ and forked over 5k for the privilege. Noticed it pulled harder but the overall power was only up to 165kw atw for some reason. I forget why he only managed that sort of power, but I expected more at the time. Still pulled hard but for spending that sort of coin you would want to hit the 180 mark. My point being, I wasnt sold that a aftermarket TMIC alone would wise money spent.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:41 pm

cynner wrote:My current tuner (Matt) has said he saw a noticeable improvement in my logs with the new TMIC (with vf46). Maybe he can explain how it has helped...

It would be interesting to know. Perhaps your IC was leaking or the cooling gains allowed him to add more timing.

shav wrote:My mate did a TMIC, TBE, rear sway and ECUTEK tune on his 09' XT Foz a while back with SnJ and forked over 5k for the privilege. Noticed it pulled harder but the overall power was only up to 165kw atw for some reason.

Because none of this changes the fact that the turbo is still small which ultimately restricts how much peak power it will make and the mood of the dyno plays a part also. Put a bigger turbs on and there will me more benefit from the mods applied. It is always a trade off in a turbo car. To gain peak power you are sacrificing bottom end performance so you need to decide whether your want a dyno queen or forget the dyno figure and have the car modified/tuned for how you want to drive it. Might sound silly but my father has an old Jag XJ V12 which he has modified himself and only tunes down low for performance in bottom end and mid range because he never breaks the speed limit so whats the point right? ;).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Shaheenis wrote:It is always a trade off in a turbo car. To gain peak power you are sacrificing bottom end performance so you need to decide whether your want a dyno queen or forget the dyno figure and have the car modified/tuned for how you want to drive it. Might sound silly but my father has an old Jag XJ V12 which he has modified himself and only tunes down low for performance in bottom end and mid range because he never breaks the speed limit so whats the point right? ;).

Sorry man, I feel like you kind of missed the point of modding a daily (if you think that?). It is not always a trade off.

Whether you're talking specifically about upgrading turbos or mods in general, there is always a better alternative to the stock setup/vf46 setup/pump 98 setup. In fact it's pretty difficult/unusual to increase the bottom end without gaining top end.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Sean82 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:57 pm

shav wrote:My mate did a TMIC, TBE, rear sway and ECUTEK tune on his 09' XT Foz a while back with SnJ and forked over 5k for the privilege. Noticed it pulled harder but the overall power was only up to 165kw atw for some reason. I forget why he only managed that sort of power, but I expected more at the time. Still pulled hard but for spending that sort of coin you would want to hit the 180 mark. My point being, I wasnt sold that a aftermarket TMIC alone would wise money spent.

Unless he upgraded the turbo or you're talking about an S-Edition (VF52 standard), the SH XT only has a TD04. 165kW is ringing its neck. I'm not surprised at all by that figure.
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Alexie, yes I was specifically talking about the turbo but also relates to most other performance mods at some level. Applies to intake and exhaust mods (including cams) and turbo without thinking about it to much. In reality the compromise is often worth it for the gains but there is nearly always a compromise. It is actually easy to improve the bottom end without gaining top end - smaller turbo but why would you? You could have boost at 100rpm and run out by 800 :P. Now that's bottom end :O.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby shav » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Sean82 wrote:
shav wrote:My mate did a TMIC, TBE, rear sway and ECUTEK tune on his 09' XT Foz a while back with SnJ and forked over 5k for the privilege. Noticed it pulled harder but the overall power was only up to 165kw atw for some reason. I forget why he only managed that sort of power, but I expected more at the time. Still pulled hard but for spending that sort of coin you would want to hit the 180 mark. My point being, I wasnt sold that a aftermarket TMIC alone would wise money spent.

Unless he upgraded the turbo or you're talking about an S-Edition (VF52 standard), the SH XT only has a TD04. 165kW is ringing its neck. I'm not surprised at all by that figure.

It wasnt a special edition. Just a regular XT Foz. Dont get me wrong it pulled pretty hard down low but I was surprised with the power output. Sean from SnJ said an upgrade of turbo would get a lot more power. Your probably right though, the current turbo it had was stock and probably at its peak.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Manaz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Peak power is one thing - but there's a lot more to how a car drives than that. The torque curve is WAY more interesting, particularly the area under it - I'd rather drive a car with a flat 250Nm of torque from 2,500rpm to 5,500rpm than one with a 300Nm between 4,500rpm and 5,500rpm (but less than 200Nm below 4,000rpm) particularly in a car that generally sees street duties, where midrange torque is much more interesting.

I'll be happy with 180kW ATW with my Liberty (I'll take more if I can get it reasonably easily, but I'm not going to push too hard) - I'd rather have an unstressed 180kW ATW car than a stressed 200kW ATW car...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby alexxxz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:17 pm

shav wrote:
Sean82 wrote:

It wasnt a special edition. Just a regular XT Foz. Dont get me wrong it pulled pretty hard down low but I was surprised with the power output. Sean from SnJ said an upgrade of turbo would get a lot more power. Your probably right though, the current turbo it had was stock and probably at its peak.

Stock turbo would be a TD04 and won't push past 160-165 without serious work
alexxxz

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Sp. B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28006

Postby shav » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 pm

alexxxz wrote:
Stock turbo would be a TD04 and won't push past 160-165 without serious work

That explains it then. Cheers
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby shav » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Manaz wrote:

Peak power is one thing - but there's a lot more to how a car drives than that. The torque curve is WAY more interesting, particularly the area under it - I'd rather drive a car with a flat 250Nm of torque from 2,500rpm to 5,500rpm than one with a 300Nm between 4,500rpm and 5,500rpm (but less than 200Nm below 4,000rpm) particularly in a car that generally sees street duties, where midrange torque is much more interesting.

I'll be happy with 180kW ATW with my Liberty (I'll take more if I can get it reasonably easily, but I'm not going to push too hard) - I'd rather have an unstressed 180kW ATW car than a stressed 200kW ATW car...

That's my mantra too Robert. Currently I am pretty happy with where my car is with just a TBE, panel filter and tune to P100. It's no race car, but boy does it get off the lights quick. I feel the peak power starts to die after 4500rpm but that could be due to the turbo range. Again, for the street, it's quick enough for my needs.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Sean82 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:00 pm

shav wrote:
Sean82 wrote:

It wasnt a special edition. Just a regular XT Foz. Dont get me wrong it pulled pretty hard down low but I was surprised with the power output. Sean from SnJ said an upgrade of turbo would get a lot more power. Your probably right though, the current turbo it had was stock and probably definitely at its peak.

Fixed ;)

SH FXT with VF52 is an amazing mid-size SUV; tell your mate to hunt one down and do a swap :twisted:
Sean82

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 pm

The gain exhibited by any added cooling, whether it be TMIC upgrade or a water spray is that the air becomes more dense so that for a given amount of time, the engine can consume more air and thus more fuel for the same engine revolution etc. So for example, on 15psi you would typically see 2.8 to 2.9g/rev of airflow which is the calculated amount of grams of air passing the 2 inlet valves that are open on a 4 stroke 4 cylinder engine every engine revolution(ie halve that value for g/cylinder)

By having a more dense air charge you can push more air into the chamber not to mention that air is now cooler so more knock resistant.

The other side effect is a higher flowing core gives more throttle response as the air reaches the inlet port faster. Side effect of this is that a table called throttle tip in enrichment can be tweaked for more accurate O2 sensor readings :)

Basically gains all round :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby shav » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks for that Matt. Make logical sense.

Sean - Any idea on what kind of power gains could be had with the VF52 on the Foz?
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Sean82 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am

shav wrote:Thanks for that Matt. Make logical sense.

Sean - Any idea on what kind of power gains could be had with the VF52 on the Foz?

200kWatw is common on a VF52. And a WHOLE lot of fun :D
E85 makes lots more ;)
Sean82

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific