Fresh oil in coolant... Crack in bore?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Fresh oil in coolant... Crack in bore?

Postby Aidos » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 am

Hey guys.

Here goes the story.
Had wagon in for major service and timing belt. Found oil in coolant. All tests done. Had radiator out and tested. No faults found in any of the pressure testing. But clean oil keeps coming through in to the coolant.

Mechanic says that in his opinion it has to be a slight crack in bore that only happens under operating pressure and temps. How does this sound with everyone who has gone down this similar path of problems?

I'm currently putting together a list of upgrades for when/if we need to take motor out. Any advice in this area would be much appreciated too =) keep in mind that I'll be going to E85 at the same time!
MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B 5EAT
Wagon Obsidian Black
178kW @ Safe Tune (apparently)

Perrin TMIC | AVO 450 | 3" Magnaflow TBE (i think) | Empty CAT | 3" High Flow Exhaust Resonator | 2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers | APS Hi Flow Air Intake | DW300 Fuel Pump | Stronger Re-built Auto Transmission | Quick Shift Kit | Additional Clutch Plates | JJM Turboworld Tune (Last tune it had) | 20" Unknown Rims | STi Front Lip | STi Gear Knob | STi Lower Arm Bar | STi ECU | STi Braided Brake Lines | Full Lighting Upgraded | Tinted Rear Lights
Aidos

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Fresh oil in coolant... Crack in bore?

Postby HighTech RedNeck » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:35 am

can also be a head gasket
Speed doesn't kill its the sudden stop that does.
HighTech RedNeck

Car: 2005 Liberty GT 5M

Postby Aidos » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 am

That would show from doing their pressure tests though I'd imagine?
Wagon Obsidian Black

Perrin TMIC | AVO 450 | 3" Magnaflow TBE (i think) | Empty CAT | 3" High Flow Exhaust Resonator | 2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers | APS Hi Flow Air Intake | DW300 Fuel Pump | Stronger Re-built Auto Transmission | Quick Shift Kit | Additional Clutch Plates | JJM Turboworld Tune (Last tune it had) | 20" Unknown Rims | STi Front Lip | STi Gear Knob | STi Lower Arm Bar | STi ECU | STi Braided Brake Lines | Full Lighting Upgraded | Tinted Rear Lights
Aidos

Postby jaydece » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:00 pm

pressure tests are not the end all be all ....it could only occur if you really give the engine a hard time....so under normal conditions things would seem normal...

your heads could of lifted
head stud bolts are stretched
bore crack as stated
block has warped / heads warped
list goes on and on...

what tune you running?
timing? boost? targets?
fuel running? been running LV's lately? any signs in there?
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby kiahatsiu » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Munted turbo?
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:20 pm

kiahatsiu wrote:Munted turbo?

My thoughts too since it is a AVO 450.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Aidos » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Disregard my stupidity.. But I didn't think coolant went through the turbo? Isn't it oil cooled?
Wagon Obsidian Black

Aidos

Postby shav » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 pm

I reckon you need to do a LV screenshot and logs of the current tune and send it to Matt (kido) for his opinion Aidan. See if you can pinpoint the cause of the issues. There should be someone living close to you with an open port that you could spend 20mins to help you out surely?
PS. Im glad your looking for second and third opinions on this.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Some turbos are oil cooled, some are water cooled. Stock subaru ones are water cooled.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Aidos wrote:Disregard my stupidity.. But I didn't think coolant went through the turbo? Isn't it oil cooled?

Coolant lines are the top one going the to the top bottle to cool the tubro and oil for lube

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 pm

You can tell if it's water cooled if it has waterlines going to the turbo core as well as oil lines, should have 4 lines in total with the water ones being thicker.

Are you losing coolant? Are you spraying coolant anywhere on full boost (esp. out of the overflow tank)?

I don't think ECU logging will help diagnose this one Shav....as much as we love logging, there are some things that laptops just can't pickup!
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:You can tell if it's water cooled if it has waterlines going to the turbo core as well as oil lines, should have 4 lines in total with the water ones being thicker.

Are you losing coolant? Are you spraying coolant anywhere on full boost (esp. out of the overflow tank)?

I don't think ECU logging will help diagnose this one Shav....as much as we love logging, there are some things that laptops just can't pickup!

Helped a guy in Brisbane diagnose that his heads had not kifted / no HG failure etc via logging. Then confirmed by his mechanic with a TK test. Ended up being a split Throttle hose. Everyone was telling him HG.

Some things can be diagnosed

Other thing is that this car is an auto, so it could be a cracked trans cooler pipe in the radiator or even the oil cooler on the oil filter has a crack

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:You can tell if it's water cooled if it has waterlines going to the turbo core as well as oil lines, should have 4 lines in total with the water ones being thicker.

Helped a guy in Brisbane diagnose that his heads had not kifted / no HG failure etc via logging. Then confirmed by his mechanic with a TK test. Ended up being a split Throttle hose. Everyone was telling him HG.

Some things can be diagnosed

Other thing is that this car is an auto, so it could be a cracked trans cooler pipe in the radiator or even the oil cooler on the oil filter has a crack

I have some questions -

How did a split Throttle body hose cause HG symptoms (spraying coolant everywhere, coolant running out, oil in coolant, overheating issues or if severe - white smoke and rough idle etc)?

If you diagnosed it 100% through logging, why do a TK test to confirm?

Aside from those things.....for constructiveness' sake, how would you go about logging for a HG failure? My HG showed no symptoms in logs. I guess you could use coolant temps to help diagnose, but by the time they reach boiling point even the stock needle will be skyrocketing.

As convenient as logging is - in cases like this the mechanical side of things becomes more important and logging only takes on a secondary role to maybe check if you're on the right track. It is so much easier to test for a HG mechanically than it is to log it. If it was a crack in the radiator - I imagine his radiator pressure tests would have come up looking sour.

Could be the oil cooler....could be the turbo....if we can eliminate the block as being the culprit, that saves the OP some $$...although it sounds like he's already thinking evil thoughts about a built E85 running monster block :lol: :twisted:
alexeiwoody

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 am

So if the op pulls the spark plugs and none are steam cleaned, that would eliminate a coolant to cylinder bore leak but still leave coolant to oil gallery on the table?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 am

bigBADbenny wrote:So if the op pulls the spark plugs and none are steam cleaned, that would eliminate a coolant to cylinder bore leak but still leave coolant to oil gallery on the table?

If the spark plugs are steam cleaned you'll have a lot of white smoke come out of the exhaust during operation.

If there is coolant in the oil, oil will be milky.

If it's a headgasket you need to take the coolant overflow tank hose, stick onto your windshield, drive and see if it sprays coolant on full boost.

Hopefully Aidos has some updates for us :)
alexeiwoody

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific