Fresh oil in coolant... Crack in bore?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Fresh oil in coolant... Crack in bore?

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Nice one, is it possible to isolate the the turbo coolant loop in order to see if the oil is getting into the coolant from a cracked center housing?

I'd imagine removing the coolant inlet and outlet hoses and clamping them shut, then running hoses to the turbo coolant inlet and outlet: catching the drained water could work?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:55 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Nice one, is it possible to isolate the the turbo coolant loop in order to see if the oil is getting into the coolant from a cracked center housing?

I'd imagine removing the coolant inlet and outlet hoses and clamping them shut, then running hoses to the turbo coolant inlet and outlet: catching the drained water could work?

Technically that's an idea, but it would be very hard to execute normal turbo behaviour, think full boost and how hot the thing gets. Taking the turbo apart for an inspection/rebuild would be easier...
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Aidos » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 am

Well what most of you have guessed is right. It's more of a mechanical issue. No smoke out exhaust. No coolant spraying. Just a tad bit of oil in coolant. Everything has been pressure tested, including where auto pipe gets cooled and no leaks showed up. I'm booking it in shortly, then I'll get a full verdict as to what exactly it is and what steps I'll be making!!

I love all the ideas and help you are all offering, let's hope it's an engine crack so I can do all my upgrades now!! Missus will be none the wiser =)

Very curious as to exact spot of leak.
MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B 5EAT
Wagon Obsidian Black
178kW @ Safe Tune (apparently)

Perrin TMIC | AVO 450 | 3" Magnaflow TBE (i think) | Empty CAT | 3" High Flow Exhaust Resonator | 2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers | APS Hi Flow Air Intake | DW300 Fuel Pump | Stronger Re-built Auto Transmission | Quick Shift Kit | Additional Clutch Plates | JJM Turboworld Tune (Last tune it had) | 20" Unknown Rims | STi Front Lip | STi Gear Knob | STi Lower Arm Bar | STi ECU | STi Braided Brake Lines | Full Lighting Upgraded | Tinted Rear Lights
Aidos

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific