Pierburg 3 Port - bracket for neat fitment?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Pierburg 3 Port - bracket for neat fitment?

Postby cynner » Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Has anyone made up a bracket to fit a Pierburg 3 Port boost solenoid nicely? (unlike the Grimspeed ones, the Pierburg ones don't come with any nice bracket to mount it neatly).

EDIT: Brackets being made now... $35 including delivery. See pictures below.

List of people wanting one (I'll order them in batches):
Alexiwoody (first batch done)
BigBADbenny
Kekotic
Last edited by cynner on Wed May 28, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cynner

Car: MY08 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23586

Re: Pierburg 3 Port - bracket for neat fitment?

Postby shav » Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm

cynner wrote:Has anyone made up a bracket to fit a Pierburg 3 Port boost solenoid nicely? (unlike the Grimspeed ones, the Pierburg ones don't come with any nice bracket to mount it neatly).

no it doesnt sit nicely. All I did was use cable tie to secure it when under the engine cover. It's fine there as long as it's secure.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Shaheenis » Tue May 13, 2014 7:44 pm

cynner wrote:Has anyone made up a bracket to fit a Pierburg 3 Port boost solenoid nicely? (unlike the Grimspeed ones, the Pierburg ones don't come with any nice bracket to mount it neatly).

Yes. I made one out of a 2mm thick, 15mm wide aluminium strap with a couple of bends and riverts to hold two pieces together in a + configuration. Will try and get a picture for you. Took less than 1hr to make and install.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby shav » Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Shaheenis wrote:

Yes. I made one out of a 2mm thick, 15mm wide aluminium strap with a couple of bends and riverts to hold two pieces together in a + configuration. Will try and get a picture for you. Took less than 1hr to make and install.

Im keen to see this mate.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Ziptied mine under the stock bracket but keen for pics :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Shaheenis » Tue May 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Dude, I found a photo that shows it but you might need to zoom in. It is mounted underneath the home made bracket. I also did a small diagram of how it looks. Have the rivets and screws as lower profile as possible if using the engine cover as they do touch but not a problem, just be aware of this clearance when making it. You can get aluminium strap from bunnings for cheap and keep the left overs as it comes in very handy for making brackets. Easy to bend and strong enough. Be careful drilling through small pieces of aluminium, make sure you clamp it in a vice. It is hard to see in the pics but it really the only way to mount it there that I could tell. This design minimises bends in hoses also. I will get a close up when I can.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby shav » Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 pm

interesting. It looks neat.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby cynner » Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Cool thanks, will look at making up something like that :) Might get a metal fabricator to cut it for me from 1 piece...
cynner

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue May 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Dude, I found a photo that shows it but you might need to zoom in. It is mounted underneath the home made bracket. I also did a small diagram of how it looks. Have the rivets and screws as lower profile as possible if using the engine cover as they do touch but not a problem, just be aware of this clearance when making it. You can get aluminium strap from bunnings for cheap and keep the left overs as it comes in very handy for making brackets. Easy to bend and strong enough. Be careful drilling through small pieces of aluminium, make sure you clamp it in a vice. It is hard to see in the pics but it really the only way to mount it there that I could tell. This design minimises bends in hoses also. I will get a close up when I can.

Cheers,

Looks good...

Someone stole your intercooler though...:o
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby LorrenK » Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 am

Are the pierburg ones better or different to the grimspeed one? I don't see them getting a lot of love here for some reason.
Subaru Liberty MY08 GT.B-Spec Wagon 6sp, aka "The Scub". Parrot MKi9200. Soundstream monobloc and Memphis 12" sub. Ultrex front lip. STi short-shifter. DefiLink Boost and Oil press. gauges. Fujitsubo Legalis Super R 3" Catback Exhaust. Custom painted Tb-STi rims. Wilwood Racing front rotors and callipers with braided lines. Apex'i CAI and G88 fabricated enclosure. KiDo tune (finally!!). Cusco swaybars. Cusco tower brace with master cylinder stopper. tbSTi leather/suede seats. Leo's Angel Eyes, HID highbeams and LED foglights. Hella Supertones. GFB TMS Response II BOV.
LorrenK

Car: MY08 Liberty GTB 6sp wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19651

Postby Kekotic » Sun May 18, 2014 1:06 am

LorrenK wrote:Are the pierburg ones better or different to the grimspeed one? I don't see them getting a lot of love here for some reason.

Apparently the grimspeed ones were leaking / making weird noises. Can't quite remember. But basically pierberg is the better one.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun May 18, 2014 1:08 am

LorrenK wrote:Are the pierburg ones better or different to the grimspeed one? I don't see them getting a lot of love here for some reason.

Both are good. I believe pierburg is louder in it's function. Some people will tell you one or the other is better, but we haven't seen any evidence of why or how. Grimspeed has a nice fitting bracket.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby cynner » Sun May 18, 2014 7:43 am

Yeah I like the look of the bracket with the Grimspeed one. I've found my pierburg one to be noisy (creates a wastegate chatter noise - thought it was a problem at first, but I'm assured it's normal for them).
cynner

Postby Shaheenis » Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Interesting, I have never noticed a noise with mine. What does it sound like?
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby cynner » Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Sounds very similar to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kZImeImmKo

(this is not my car, just a video showing a similar sounding noise). I don't have a manual boost gauge so can't tell if it's actually doing this exact thing.
cynner

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific