Anyone modded MY07 or MY08 Lib STi?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Anyone modded MY07 or MY08 Lib STi?

Postby AdamW » Thu May 15, 2008 12:08 pm

If so can we have some details?

Has anyone had a tune done on the stock Lib STi?

Most of the posts are in relation to the GT Spec-B. I am keen to know how well the upgraded STi parts do after a tune?
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Postby MY07GT » Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 pm

Jim's had a tune done with Pulse Racing. Not stock but with mild mods.

Not sure if he recommends the tuner anymore.

But in terms of the comparison of the t/b STi, theres really just a difference in ecu. Thats it. The mufflers wont give you any gains.

If you wait another 2 weeks, there will be a MY07GT t/b STi with sum decent power, that Phat is finishing.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby tangcla » Thu May 15, 2008 1:05 pm

MY07GT wrote:Jim's had a tune done with Pulse Racing. Not stock but with mild mods.

What happened at Pulse?
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby swingn » Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 pm

tangcla wrote:
MY07GT wrote:Jim's had a tune done with Pulse Racing. Not stock but with mild mods.

What happened at Pulse?

Yeah what's the go?

Was actually thinking about taking my car there... No more MRT for me!
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby lib33rty » Thu May 15, 2008 1:36 pm

beLIEve
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.
lib33rty

Postby MY07GT » Thu May 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone gets different types of services... But lets just say another 2 people are not happy with their tunes from pulse.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby swingn » Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 pm

MY07GT wrote:Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone gets different types of services... But lets just say another 2 people are not happy with their tunes from pulse.

Phil.

Details?

My car is going to need a retune over the next few months & if this place isn't doing I good job, then I'd rather avoid possible problems.

On a side note, does anyone have anyother people they can suggest who can tune the ECUtek chips?
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Re: Anyone modded MY07 or MY08 Lib STi?

Postby PHAT GT » Sat May 17, 2008 11:06 pm

AdamW wrote:If so can we have some details?

Has anyone had a tune done on the stock Lib STi?

Most of the posts are in relation to the GT Spec-B. I am keen to know how well the upgraded STi parts do after a tune?

what state do you live in???

Michael

WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS , THEY JUST DO THINGS DIFFERENT
PHAT GT

Postby Arith » Sat May 17, 2008 11:27 pm

swingn wrote:
MY07GT wrote:Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone gets different types of services... But lets just say another 2 people are not happy with their tunes from pulse.

Details?

Well Paul isn't entirely bad. He has made some people quite happy, like Trieu and a few others on this forum.

But his hit and miss ratio leaves much to be desired. If he was consistently good and reliable, this wouldn't be an issue. But are you willing part with a large chunk of your money to take the chance you'll be one of the success stories, instead of on the blooper reel?

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby AdamW » Sun May 18, 2008 6:37 am

what state do you live in???
Michael

Gold Coast, Qld. I am back in a few weeks and still trying to make up my mind as to which way to go with the mods.. As in what’s actualy worthwhile getting. I will definitely get a EcuTeK tune & bigger intercooler at this stage.

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

AdamW

Postby Arith » Sun May 18, 2008 8:08 am

Adam, that's a good start. Just think about which way you want to go first. Perormance? Appearance? Handling?

If you have time, try to search the forum to see what others have done and their feedback. Yes, it's mostly GT's and GT-B's, but there are some STi's who have done the same.

Besides, GT/GT-B & STi. When it comes to performance it's all same same (except for the mufflers and ECU tweak but those are very minor differences).

Arith
-stickered-

Postby AdamW » Sun May 18, 2008 1:08 pm

, Arith
Adam, that's a good start. Just think about which way you want to go first. Perormance? Appearance? Handling? try to search the forum to see what others have done and their feedback

I am pretty happy with the appearance so I am just chasing some more power at the moment. From looking through the forum most people with Spec-B’s start with TMIC, Tune, CAI & exhaust and they get some decent power increases with these mods.. The Spec-B seems to have pretty restrictive exhaust so it’s a guaranteed benefit to upgrade however the STi is meant to have a pretty good exhaust as is and I cant seem to get any real guarantees or figures on STi exhaust upgrade, I also like the quietness of the car so unless I am guaranteed to get a decent increase in power from a new exhaust I would rather keep the car nice a quiet, so I am thinking I will just go with the TMIC & Tune and compare this to the numbers of a Spec-B with TMIC, Tune, CAI & exhaust. If my numbers are a lot lower I will know the STi exhaust is still holding me back.. It just means I will have to learn how to be a bit patient and not get everything done all at once..

AdamW

Postby Arith » Sun May 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Adam, the STi exhaust is still quite restrictive, though not as much as the stock one. Perhaps a 1-2 kw gain if even that? It's mainly for a bit more note, but performance wise it's not much to write home about.

The main culprits will be the centre muffler and the two cats. However to replace those would introduce a new level of noise which you may not like.

But simple a catback upgrade like the Fujitsubo should increase power by 10kw on average, and is still relatively quiet from within the cabin. Otherwise a very quiet system would be the K2 Gear, but that's quite pricey.

And unless you're planning to track the car every weekend, it's not just the numbers. Reponse and turbo spool will be quicker as well, so your driving experience on the street will be better and happier.

TMIC and tune will be very quiet mods, but the gains will only be so much. You'll need to sacrifice a bit of noise comfort to get real power from catback exhaust, dump pipe, and intake. Or if you're real serious you'll want to go the route of FMIC and larger turbo. Unfortunately that introduces a bit of lag to the equation so not sure how keen you are with that.

Anyway, if I'm wrong with any of this I'm welcome to any correction. Most of my experience comes from N/A mods, so I'm slowly re-learning how to mod from a turbo perspective. My feedback is based on my experience and what I've heard from others like Phat GT.

But it's extremely helpful to have someone near by who has done the mods so that you can experience them first hand. I was still doubting the benefits of everything I've done until I got to see them in action.

Arith
-stickered-

Postby MY08GT-B » Sun May 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Isn't the only difference between spec-b & STI exhaust systems the mufflers?
Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby Boxer » Sun May 18, 2008 5:30 pm

MY08GT-B wrote:Isn't the only difference between spec-b & STI exhaust systems the mufflers?

Nope - custom STi tune in the ECU too - they quote 7kw more, but from what I've been imformed of back to back testing of cars on the dyno - the stock STi seems to net around 12kw extra at the wheels and a fatter midrange.

STi also quote they have improved the 'pedal feel' with the drive-by-wire map to better suit the sporty nature of STi's
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific