Anyone modded MY07 or MY08 Lib STi?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby Spec B Wgn » Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 pm

just remember guys when your quoting MRT gains of so many KW's they measure the power from the hubs and not wheels.

a big difference between the two..
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby MY08GT-B » Mon May 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Figures I quoted were measured at the wheels, MRT products tuned by someone else. I watched Sean doing the tune and it was definitely measured at the wheels, no hub dyno in sight.
Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby AdamW » Mon May 19, 2008 1:27 pm

MY08GT-B
I replied on one of your other threads, I have the full MRT system on a gt-b & picked up 40 odd kw. The STI makes more power because of the ECU having a flash netting about 10 kw.

Yep I read your reply so that pretty much guarantees me the same numbers in the end if I go down the road of new exhaust but I am still unsure of how good the STi exhaust actually is and what sort of numbers I will get if I leave the stock exhaust and just go the TMIC & EcuTeK tune..
adam
c'mon mate... flights to sydney are cheap as chips for you to make it to a meet. I'm sure with a "special interstate guest" it'd be a good turnout. and then you'd get to hear all your exhaust options.

I am originally from down that way, I grew up in Bankstown so I am always looking for an excuse to make my way back down to Syndey to catch up with friends.. Last time I was in Sydney was a few years back when I picked up my last car from the Blue Mountains.. Once the Liberty has some more km’s on the clock I will probably drive down..
Arith
Haha. Join the club. 10 years back I would have went all out. The hell with the noise. But now it's a bit more refinement and comfort, but still have that 'kick ass' on tap.

I had a supercharged VS II GTS with a straight through 3” exhaust (no cats, no mufflers, no resonators), it came close to breaking windows.. For some reason I couldn’t hold back the laughter every time I gave it some stick, I would shake my head at myself and laugh until my eyes watered.. Those were the days lol.

I have a few more weeks before I have to decide.. I should be back on the 11th June so I will have it booked in on Friday 13th to have the work done..
MY08 Liberty GT-B tb STi 6MT -
With Just a Few Mods to (including but not limited to)..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

Just Over 220kW ATW with more to come in a couple of weeks..
AdamW

Postby Spec B Wgn » Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Friday 13th ?? :shock: cant change the date can you...
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby AdamW » Mon May 19, 2008 3:39 pm

A few years back I brought a car on Friday 13th and it turned out to be a good solid fast car, one of the most reliable cars I have ever had.. I also started my last job on Friday 13th and it lead to bigger and better things in no time... Last trip home (when I brought the Lib STi) I came back on the 13th.. So I starting to think that 13 is my lucky number..

I have sent off an email to Subaru to see if I can get the actual physical differences between the Spec-B & STi exhausts.. They talk about an exhaust upgrade so will see if they can give us some more details.. I guess of they are pretty similar in size then STi exhaust cant be that much better than the Spec-B exhaust..

Brakes - Suspension - Wheels - Intercooler - Headers - Exhaust - Dump Pipe - Turbo - CAI - Tune Etc..

AdamW

Postby XRC15T » Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 pm

yes, my car will sound different to you my07/08 guys due to the twin scroll setup. Mine howls not growls. i.e high screamer.

In any case, any exhaust upgrade to higher flow should have an increase in noise. Its just what you can live with.
Changes in setup anywhere along the exhaust chain will cause different resonance. (dif manifold/dp/mid/resonator/cat/muffler etc.) When listening to other peoples exhaust, pick a setup like what you want and one that has been installed for a fair while because the note will change.
Other mods can also influence what goes on in your exhaust so bear than in mind.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby AdamW » Tue May 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Feedback from Subaru

Adam: Do you know the specs on the STi liberty exhaust compared to the stock Spec-B exhaust? What are the actual physical differences between the two exhausts?

Subaru: With regards to your enquiry, please be advised the physical differences between these two exhausts are as follows; the STi muffler has dual outlets rather then a single outlet (one muffler per side). Overall size is the same, however the internal flow/size may be slightly different to improve/change the exhaust note.
I hope this information is helpful to you.

So I guess from this the only difference is the twin, twin tips.. So the “size is the same” but “the internal flow/size may be slightly different” emmmm this really doesn’t tell me what I what to know and it kind of contradicts its self.. I am not sure if he is talking about the size fo the muffler or exhaust.. I think I am back to where I started.. Don’t these people know anything about these cars they are selling? The salesman that sold me the car was a nice enough guy but knew very little about the Liberty or the Liberty STi. One would think that if you sold a particular brand of car for a living that you would know everything there is to know about them..

AdamW

Postby MY08GT-B » Tue May 20, 2008 6:45 pm

The flow/size difference would probably be in the muffler only. I could be wrong but I can't see Subaru Aust. replacing the entire system and getting no gain other than tone.

If the extra power is coming from the ecu flash it would be a huge waste of money for them to change the exhaust without getting a more significant power increase.

I would hazard a guess that "overall size is the same" means just that.

Perhaps the only way to get a clearer answer would be to contact STi (at Docklands or other locations) personally and ask to speak to someone in the know.
Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby MY07GT » Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 pm

There is no difference. Its only different designed mufflers. One is polished twin tips the other is single unpolished.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby MY08GT-B » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm

MY07GT wrote:There is no difference. Its only different designed mufflers. One is polished twin tips the other is single unpolished.

Phil.

As I thought.
Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby chriskan » Tue May 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Anyone want to donate one to chop up in the name of science? (or curiosity) :)
MY07 GT-B T/B STi 6MT OBP
| PHAT Performance Quad Mufflers | HKS Panel Filter & removed resi + CAI pipe |
chriskan

Car: MY07 GT-B t/b STI OBP 6MT - #244/300

Postby Arith » Wed May 21, 2008 12:36 am

MY08GT-B wrote:If the extra power is coming from the ecu flash it would be a huge waste of money for them to change the exhaust without getting a more significant power increase.

Don't forget that Subaru has Australian noise levels as well as Euro IV emissions to comply with. They can't modify the STi mufflers too much that they produce more noise to get more power.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby MY07GT » Wed May 21, 2008 12:50 am

Just spoke to Phat who has taken off several gtb and t/b sti exhaust off. He said both exactly the same. 1 has twin pipes other has single. Both are polished and exactly the same.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby AdamW » Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am

Yep I think you guys are right, the two exhausts are exactly the same except for the muffler. With all the hype of the “upgraded exhaust” I expected a little more from STi and after reading articles (damned lies) like the following (webwombat – link below), they only added to my expectations.. But then on the other hand if Subaru can charge $4,000 for a GPS unit, one shouldn’t really expect too much from the Liberty tuned by STi as it is only about $7K on top of the Spec-B. If they had gone with a full exhaust upgrade you would expect to pay more than that for the exhaust alone..

Quote: Webwombat
“The extra 10kW of power and 11Nm of torque have been extracted via tweaks to the car's ECU software and a new exhaust system,”
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/subaru-liberty-gt-tuned-by-sti-review.htm

This comes from the Liberty tuned by STi pamphlet thou, in the list of standard features, that is the only time anything exhaust related is mentioned..
“STi low back pressure twin sports tip muffler”

Well it looks like I will be getting a new exhaust along with the EcuTeK & TMIC..

AdamW

Postby chriskan » Wed May 21, 2008 10:42 am

MY07GT wrote:Just spoke to Phat who has taken off several gtb and t/b sti exhaust off. He said both exactly the same. 1 has twin pipes other has single. Both are polished and exactly the same.

Phil.

Just for the record, I'm not an STI fanboi or anything :) but it'd be almost impossible to tell the flow characteristics & internal construction of the muffler just on external inspection wouldn't it?

It's probably a moot point, and if you're chasing big numbers, it would definitely need to go! However, I'm sure there are quite a few owners out there who would also like to keep a "low/stealth" profile on the street while still getting some decent power out of the car, and hence if the STI Mufflers can be used to achieve this, then it'd be good to know.

Adam: you are correct, all marketing/brochures indicated that it was just a muffler upgrade on the STI's. It would've been too hard to upgrade the whole thing and keep in line with emissions.

If someone can be bothered calling Vinny or Steve Tate (Ric? :)) we can get a bit more info on this..

I would ask Sam @ GW, but as nice & helpful as he is, he tried telling me my MY07 was a twin scroll setup and that's what I had the hesitation at 3-4k...
MY07 GT-B T/B STi 6MT OBP
| PHAT Performance Quad Mufflers | HKS Panel Filter & removed resi + CAI pipe |
chriskan

Car: MY07 GT-B t/b STI OBP 6MT - #244/300

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific