Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun May 04, 2014 7:52 pm

The section dump adjacent the inner CV boot is worthy of insulation regardless of transmission type ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Manaz » Sun May 04, 2014 10:16 pm

<GB> wrote:If u wrap your dump pipe you are wasting your money putting stuff onto
The gearbox! In fact you're probably wasting your money putting stuff on the gear box in the first place !! If they needed heat protection I'm sure Subaru would have done so!

If we were talking about the stock setup, sure.

But we're talking about a dump pipe that appears to get a LOT closer to the gearbox than the stock one.

And as people have already noted, the inner CV joint boot is known to suffer the ill-effects of heat over time even with a stock setup - so it's not like Subaru made the perfect judgement there either.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby <GB> » Mon May 05, 2014 10:43 am

Manaz wrote:
<GB> wrote:If u wrap your dump pipe you are wasting your money putting stuff onto
The gearbox! In fact you're probably wasting your money putting stuff on the gear box in the first place !! If they needed heat protection I'm sure Subaru would have done so!

If we were talking about the stock setup, sure.

But we're talking about a dump pipe that appears to get a LOT closer to the gearbox than the stock one.

And as people have already noted, the inner CV joint boot is known to suffer the ill-effects of heat over time even with a stock setup - so it's not like Subaru made the perfect judgement there either.

The cv I can understand shielding but not the gear box, if you put your hand close to an exhaust about 5mm away its not as bad as you think and if youre thrashing the car there is some airflow. unless youre tracking I think putting stuff on the gearbox is a waste.
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby shav » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm

What kind of protection do you guys recommend for the cv boot then?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby <GB> » Mon May 05, 2014 12:49 pm

shav wrote:What kind of protection do you guys recommend for the cv boot then?

I would wrap the dump or ceramic coat it, this will protect the boot and it may help a very slight bit with lag and stop extra heat getting up into the engine bay into the cooler ect

personally my dump is not wrapped or coated ha ha
<GB>

Postby shav » Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm

<GB> wrote:

I would wrap the dump or ceramic coat it, this will protect the boot and it may help a very slight bit with lag and stop extra heat getting up into the engine bay into the cooler ect

Cheers. I also have a Cobb Tuning heat shield I am fitting at the same time as the dump. Im hoping that will reduce the radiant heat into the engine bay.

As for the cv boot protection. Perhaps some of the wrap facing the boot will help it.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon May 05, 2014 1:25 pm

shav wrote:
<GB> wrote:

Cheers. I also have a Cobb Tuning heat shield I am fitting at the same time as the dump. Im hoping that will reduce the radiant heat into the engine bay.

As for the cv boot protection. Perhaps some of the wrap facing the boot will help it.

Shav, my dump is coated with the top-of-the-range-silver-race-coating Benny was talking about before AND we installed a heatshield just opposite the cv boot. It still gets very hot under there, don't expect your cv boot to be much better off. It might add another 10,000km to it's life, but it will ultimately fail around the same time.

Maybe we need to cover our right CV boots with the DEI Gold tape :lol: 8)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby <GB> » Mon May 05, 2014 1:39 pm

my boot has been fine on my car and I have driven it on 43deg days before though ive only done 12k on it, once wrapped you can touch the wrapped section and it wont burn your hand, don't touch hot ceramic coated pipes though
<GB>

Postby shav » Mon May 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Ok guys. Cheers for that,
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific