Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
bigBADbenny wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:
Barney will be able to give you a rough quote, and he even combined shipping for me with some V8 M3 headers he was coating, so I saved $30 hehe.

Email or phone him?

Barney has an email? :o

I'm sure you can find it on his webpage somewhere.

http://www.barney.com/au/
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby shav » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:01 pm

haha, nice one Bruce
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:28 pm

bass_straitener wrote:I'm sure you can find it on his webpage somewhere.

LOL, Bruce - that is one creepy website.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Lib bro's tranquilo!
This thread (not "mine" BTW), is for self-love and educational purposes only.
I'm getting a quote from the actual Barney of Hallam Performance Exhausts.

FYI he's an HPC dealer and what a lovely bloke too.

Screenshot 2014-04-30 15.10.18.jpg
Screenshot 2014-04-30 15.10.18.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

He gets "a lot" of Liberty's :P

As was mentioned a dump is approx $130

Headers are approx $230 for black coating or $530 for the full heat retention race coating which is coated many times and is silver in appearance.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Manaz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

bass_straitener wrote:I'm sure you can find it on his webpage somewhere.

I love you! You love me!....

Barney's gotta be best buddies with pedobear.

And now, back to Newbie's preferred topic, before he gets angry with us for messing up "his" thread.

Um, shit. I've got nothing at this stage...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu May 01, 2014 12:34 am

Hey Benny, do you have some figures from what the difference in heat retention is with the race stuff vs black coating? I wonder if the price reflects performance gains, which is probably doesn't.

Although being the most important area of the exhaust to shield....it might be wise to pay the extra $$.

To help Newbie decide, I'll just keep repeating everything I already said in more detail. Here's what I was thinking yesterday, but was too lazy to type, thankfully someone already articulately expressed it on the internet a long time ago:

"Hotter gas has to move faster through the exhaust. Faster, hotter gas contains much more energy, which then gets deposited in the exhaust turbine, improving spool.

By the time the exhaust is in the turbine, it's basically too late though. If the exhaust hasn't cooled a significant amount in the 6 feet of exhaust piping leading up to the turbine, it's not going to cool a significant amount in the 4 inches it spends in the turbine. The above really applies to wrapping the header and uppipe, wrapping the turbine just serves the same purpose as wrapping the downpipe...reducing the heat radiated to the TMIC."

Coating the dump = not a noticeable performance mod, more of a peace of mind, possibly a mild-aid-with-longevity mod.

Who wants to group buy some gold tape? :mrgreen:
alexeiwoody

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 01, 2014 7:12 am

Barney said the race coat was next level.
No figures, just that the surface wouldn't be glowing.
My Phat dump has this shiny ceramic coating btw.

But the black coating is plenty for our needs.

The gold tape is for protecting surfaces that are exposed to radiant heat, btw.
But yeah I want :)
bigBADbenny

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu May 01, 2014 8:16 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Barney said the race coat was next level.
No figures, just that the surface wouldn't be glowing.
My Phat dump has this shiny ceramic coating btw.

But the black coating is plenty for our needs.

The gold tape is for protecting surfaces that are exposed to radiant heat, btw.
But yeah I want :)

My dump is also covered with the silver stuff, it looks great, but still gets really really hot.

And yep the gold tape I was hoping to use on the tmic, or whatever else. Although again probably not really necessary, so hopefully we can get it for cheaps.

I've only seen it on the dei website, haven't looked on eBay yet.
alexeiwoody

Postby Manaz » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 am

I had a reply from the Zircotec guys, they said they can sell pieces of the self-adhesive shielding down to the size of an A4 sheet of paper. They said it'd potentially work well on the side of the gearbox to provide additional shielding from radiant heat if you placed it only adjacent to the external heat source.

I'm yet to have an answer back from PSR to my email regarding the design of the Invidia dump pipe (I'm going to try to call them today if I get a chance). I've also emailed TCP regarding their dump pipe.
Last edited by Manaz on Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

So haterz or anyone with common sense will despair but given a choice I'd do my entire inlet path in this Reflect-a-Gold stuff, just for looks. :mrgreen:

J has shared the eBay vendor and since email is the preferred contact method I'll start a group buy on these products, plus the DEI Ti exhaust wrap to make it simple for everyone. :)

Theres also some local vendors to approach.

If this is not your preferred exhaust heat mitigation solution I suggest you contact your local HPC ceramic coating dealer as discussed above.

EOI here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26031
bigBADbenny

Postby shav » Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Manaz wrote:I had a reply from the Zircotec guys, they said they can sell pieces of the self-adhesive shielding down to the size of an A4 sheet of paper. They said it'd potentially work well on the side of the gearbox to provide additional shielding from radiant heat if you placed it only adjacent to the external heat source.

I'm yet to have an answer back from PSR to my email regarding the design of the Invidia dump pipe (I'm going to try to call them today if I get a chance). I've also emailed TCP regarding their dump pipe.

So is this what your gonna do then Rob? (i.e. Zircotec the immediate side of the gearbox) Im thinking of getting the single layer piece (900x550) and just cutting it in half and sticking the piece where cat is the closest. Doubt I'll need the whole lot.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby <GB> » Sun May 04, 2014 5:08 pm

If u wrap your dump pipe you are wasting your money putting stuff onto
The gearbox! In fact you're probably wasting your money putting stuff on the gear box in the first place !! If they needed heat protection I'm sure Subaru would have done so!
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby shav » Sun May 04, 2014 5:29 pm

<GB> wrote:If u wrap your dump pipe you are wasting your money putting stuff onto
The gearbox! In fact you're probably wasting your money putting stuff on the gear box in the first place !! If they needed heat protection I'm sure Subaru would have done so!

Im probably going to leave my gearbox and dump as is and see what happens. Yes it's a close fit, but in my opinion, unless you are hammering your car on a track or constantly pushing the cars limit to get the dump to heat up where its way hotter than cruising temperature, then it's probably not worth it. It's horses for courses.

It has certainly been a good topic for discussion though. One that's opened my eyes to the options.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby iGBH » Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm fitting my Invidia Aus spec auto dump pipe tomorrow. Will let you know how i go with clearances. Like you, I'm not too concerned with temps at the gearbox - this car is not going to be thrashed on a track so for everyday use i think it should be fine.
iGBH

Car: MY09 (Gen4) Lib GTB

Postby shav » Sun May 04, 2014 5:54 pm

iGBH wrote:I'm fitting my Invidia Aus spec auto dump pipe tomorrow. Will let you know how i go with clearances. Like you, I'm not too concerned with temps at the gearbox - this car is not going to be thrashed on a track so for everyday use i think it should be fine.

Keen to hear your reports mate.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific