Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 am

I created this thread so it won't flood Manaz (Roberts) topic

What is recommended in a DIY tape heat install and suitable product?

And yes what are the benefits does it really make a difference to heat produced. I was under the impression that wrapping would keep heat in pipes making it hotter ?

Thanks
Newbie GT

Re: Exhaust wrapping dump pipe

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 am

Newbie GT wrote:I was under the impression that wrapping would keep heat in pipes making it hotter ?

It does, and that's the desired effect. In theory a hotter pipe means gas will flow faster inside the pipe.

What sort of dump pipe do you have? Apparently a ceramic coated dump pipe doesn't require wrapping. I've also heard that wrapping slows down the heating and cooling cycle so it can prevent stainless steel from cracking.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:54 am

Good thread.

Im getting the same dump as Robert has and I also share the same concerns he has due to the cat being so close to the trans.

I am thinking of either wrapping the dump or wrapping the trans with this stuff to reduce the heat. http://www.zircotec.com.au/zircoflex.htm

Im thinking of running the self adhesive type though and probably only 1 layer.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby senator » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:00 am

shav wrote:Good thread.

Im getting the same dump as Robert has and I also share the same concerns he has due to the cat being so close to the trans.

I am thinking of either wrapping the dump or wrapping the trans with this stuff to reduce the heat. http://www.zircotec.com.au/zircoflex.htm

Wrapping the trans :shock: :shock: :shock: ……… Not the smartest thing to do unless you like changes out boxes.

Most wraps will require reapplication and ongoing inspection, really not worth it unless generate some serious heat. Ceramic coating will work a treat on most materials and requires no reapplication unless the mechanically removed.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:07 am

senator wrote:
shav wrote:Good thread.

Wrapping the trans :shock: :shock: :shock: ……… Not the smartest thing to do unless you like changes out boxes.

Most wraps will require reapplication and ongoing inspection, really not worth it unless generate some serious heat. Ceramic coating will work a treat on most materials and requires no reapplication unless the mechanically removed.

I didnt know that. (re: wrapping trans) Perhaps I'll steer clear of that technique then.

I guess what Im looking at is the most cost effective way to protect the trans from the ongoing heat it will be receiving from the cat in the dump as I have read the dump will be mm away from the trans casing. Perhaps the only way is ceramic coat spraying it?

Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby senator » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am

shav wrote:
I didnt know that. (re: wrapping trans) Perhaps I'll steer clear of that technique then.

]

Your trans is casted aluminium with a serious of webs that have been casted into the housing to provide strength and manage heat dissipation.

Are you running a larger turbo or headers??

How close is the cat to the trans??
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

senator wrote:
shav wrote:

]

Your trans is casted aluminium with a serious of webs that have been casted into the housing to provide strength and manage heat dissipation.

Are you running a larger turbo or headers??

How close is the cat to the trans??

Stock turbo and headers.

Ive seen pics of the this dump fitted and its probably about 5-10mm of space between cat and trans casing.

See pics in this thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=25306
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:49 am

Ceramic coat it, wrap it (50"x2" DEI Ti wrap would be nice) ties and or hose clamps, then ACL shield over the top to protect the wrap.

Or one or more of each pending how much overkill you like. :twisted:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dr20t » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:51 am

Wrapping ceramic coated exhaust components is a fire hazard

Just saying
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Ceramic coat it, wrap it (50"x2" DEI Ti wrap would be nice) ties and or hose clamps, then ACL shield over the top to protect the wrap.

Or one or more of each pending how much overkill you like. :twisted:

I sent an enquiry to Zircotec regarding their ceramic spray coating and pricing. Waiting to hear back from them.

But considering Im running stock turbo, stock headers, and not tracking the car, it's gotta make me wonder if Im being overly cautious.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:41 pm

shav wrote:Ive seen pics of the this dump fitted and its probably about 5-10mm of space between cat and trans casing.

I've seen references to ~1mm of separation between catalytic converter and auto box. That's tight...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:53 pm

shav wrote:But considering Im running stock turbo, stock headers, and not tracking the car, it's gotta make me wonder if Im being overly cautious.

It never hurts to be aware of what the options are, and what the costs/benefits of them all are.

Then you can perform a cost/benefit analysis, and make an educated decision.

Leaving everything stock may be your end decision - but you'll make that knowing what the options were, and the pros and cons of the alternatives.
Manaz

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:22 pm

Manaz wrote:
shav wrote:But considering Im running stock turbo, stock headers, and not tracking the car, it's gotta make me wonder if Im being overly cautious.

It never hurts to be aware of what the options are, and what the costs/benefits of them all are.

Then you can perform a cost/benefit analysis, and make an educated decision.

Leaving everything stock may be your end decision - but you'll make that knowing what the options were, and the pros and cons of the alternatives.

Yeah thats true Robert. The age old saying of its better to be safe than sorry springs to mind. I'd be keen to see what price the ceramic spray coating is from Zircotec. Ultimately its the best option but it's also the most expensive.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Manaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm

shav wrote:Yeah thats true Robert. The age old saying of its better to be safe than sorry springs to mind. I'd be keen to see what price the ceramic spray coating is from Zircotec. Ultimately its the best option but it's also the most expensive.

As I read their website, they don't do the spray product here yet, that's only done in the UK at this stage. I've asked them if their adhesive sheet is uni-directional or bi-directional.

I also just spoke to High Octane Performance Coating again.

They've quoted me $150 ex GST to coat the downpipe in a 1000C ceramic (black) or $180 ex GST in a 1400C ceramic (titanium). I also got quoted $90 ex GST or $115 ex GST (black of titanium respectively) to do the hot-side of the turbo (though I'll have to disassemble/reassemble the turbo myself for this). They quote a 7-day turnaround on jobs.
Manaz

Postby shav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Manaz wrote:
shav wrote:Yeah thats true Robert. The age old saying of its better to be safe than sorry springs to mind. I'd be keen to see what price the ceramic spray coating is from Zircotec. Ultimately its the best option but it's also the most expensive.

As I read their website, they don't do the spray product here yet, that's only done in the UK at this stage. I've asked them if their adhesive sheet is uni-directional or bi-directional.

I also just spoke to High Octane Performance Coating again.

They've quoted me $150 ex GST to coat the downpipe in a 1000C ceramic (black) or $180 ex GST in a 1400C ceramic (titanium). I also got quoted $90 ex GST or $115 ex GST (black of titanium respectively) to do the hot-side of the turbo (though I'll have to disassemble/reassemble the turbo myself for this). They quote a 7-day turnaround on jobs.

Thanks for that, Thats a good indication on prices.

Not to sound like a tight ass, but whats stopping you painting it yourself with a heat resistant coating?
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific