MY07 GT-B Dyno results etc.

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

MY07 GT-B Dyno results etc.

Postby asfletch » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 am

OK so I've just started to get to know my (auto) MY07 GT-B, and overall it's great, but there are a couple of niggles. I'm already planning to get some HD rear swaybar mounts as a priority, but I'm curious about the tune too.

Can the experts here please cast an eye over this dyno graph and tell me whether the torque hole between 2500 and 3000 rpm is normal? You can definitely feel it in traffic and it's a bit annoying TBH. I have seen others on here complain about something similar, but only in relation to stock tunes. Mine was retuned after a replacement turbo was installed; supposedly because the first one died when the previous owner overheated it. The installation notes for the new turbo say "leave to idle for min 1 minute to allow for cooling." I've read on here that the cooling system should operate even with the ignition off though - do you think the turbo shop might simply be unaware of how this works on our cars?

EDIT: Just remembered the previous owner said the turbo had VF30 wheels, though I guess the housing must be similar to VF46 to mate up to the stock dump etc. Could that explain the curve?

dynoXDA (Small).png
dynoXDA (Small).png (216.42 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
asfletch

Car: MY07 GT-B - Black inside and out

Re: MY07 GT-B Dyno results etc.

Postby Boostaddict » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:36 am

Mmmhhh that "hiccup " is usually tune out. My understanding is that its to do with the closed loop boost control.

The stock turbo is a vf46, so unless the previous owner changed it to a vf30.??

Out of curiosity, is your car a black tuned by sti? With a fmic and exhaust?

There was one for sale a while ago that had a 2nd hand vf30 , fmic, exhaust.
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby shav » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am

Id be running some logs and a LV snapshot and sending to Matt for a review. Something isnt quite right there.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Start with cleaning the maf, logging to check sensors, vvt angles etc, and defo have Matt or any competent tuner look at the the logs.
Use the search link in my sig with keyords stumble or stutter.
Mine got dialed out somewhere between the maf, tune and OCV's.
It can literally be anything from the tune to sensors to a knackered wastegate, fuel pump or injectors.
Hopefully its an easy one. :D
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby asfletch » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks guys.

Yep Boostaddict, previous owner changed turbo - was apparently quoted something in the range of $7k for replacement VF46 from Subaru so went for custom job from local turbo shop. From what I could find, the place has a reasonable reputation, so I thought it should be OK. Apparently previous owner was told it had VF30 wheels, but receipt I have here doesn't shed any more light on it than that (other than the dyno curve). It goes pretty well over 3k rpm (feels stronger than stock ones I test drove), so could be worse ;)

It's not a TBSTi, although I wish I had those brakes - definitely missing the Brembos from my previous RS Megane!

As for logging, I can't see a possibly-one-time-use cable and software fitting into the budget right now, so perhaps I'll have to wait until someone on here is feeling generous............

If I do manage to get logs, are tuners generally happy to take a look on spec before you pay them to retune?

I will definitely clean the MAF sensor to start with, thanks for that tip. Fingers crossed it makes a difference.
asfletch

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:09 pm

You can reach out to a local member with any obdII device, preferably a tactrix ;)
bigBADbenny

Postby Sean82 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

asfletch wrote:If I do manage to get logs, are tuners generally happy to take a look on spec before you pay them to retune?

Eric at Torqued Performance certainly will help you out. A retune from him will also only shed your wallet of about $130 (depending on exchange rate)
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Mine had this hesitation, solved by re-tune - eventually, now no sign of it. I replaced the BOV and boost solenoid but it was tuned out in the end. A different turbo shouldn't result in that dip unless it was a twin turbo ;).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby Manaz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:23 am

Shaheenis wrote:A different turbo shouldn't result in that dip unless it was a twin turbo ;).

And you'd hope to see the dip higher in the rev-range than that, and that the car would be developing more torque by the stage the transition between primary and secondary turbo occurred. :)
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby asfletch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:17 am

Sean82 wrote:
asfletch wrote:If I do manage to get logs, are tuners generally happy to take a look on spec before you pay them to retune?

Eric at Torqued Performance certainly will help you out. A retune from him will also only shed your wallet of about $130 (depending on exchange rate)

$130! Could almost get away with that...locals seem to want between $1-2k! Did you have yours done by that American tuner?
asfletch

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 am

Eric is great, but you'll need a tactrix or someone local to assist.
Or get a street tune from Matt in person. :)
bigBADbenny

Postby asfletch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:33 pm

I agree local would be easier, but I think Matt's out of action for the moment going by his thread.
Might give him a chance to recover before hitting him up for an analysis.
asfletch

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08 pm

+1 for Eric.

You'll need to buy a tactrix cable ($150ish, which is advisable to have whoever your tuner) + tune $130ish? And it would still cost you less than a road tune, which would essentially be the same thing.

From experience of both above mentioned tuners, Eric provides better/faster support. Expect a reply to an email within the hour and a new tune revision within 2 hours usually.

And you get to learn how to personally monitor the health of your car, sooner :)

In the meantime find out what turbo your car has. It shouldn't need idling for cooling (old old models), if the turbo has water lines going to it. Just ask a mechanic, post some pics up or catch up with one of us in person

The dip in your graph could be a lot of things, looks like the throttle plate opening angle table on the stock tunes, there for emissions (or to give evos a chance 8) ).

Where in Melbourne are you located?
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby asfletch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks for the info everyone - plenty to think about!

Just been doing a bit of reading on Tactrix cables here viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7415 - looks like cars with SI-Drive require Openport 2.0 (rather than 1.3U), which is more like $250 - is that right?
asfletch

Postby shav » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 pm

asfletch wrote:Thanks for the info everyone - plenty to think about!

Just been doing a bit of reading on Tactrix cables here viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7415 - looks like cars with SI-Drive require Openport 2.0 (rather than 1.3U), which is more like $250 - is that right?

yeah thats what I use. I have SI Drive and the open port tactrix cable I borrow from a member here.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific