Best aftermarket air filter that seals & more noise

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Best aftermarket air filter that seals & more noise

Postby Newbie GT » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:41 pm

kiahatsiu wrote:A reminder to all that newbie did install his own silicon inlet, which is quite an involved install.

Thank you lots of you guys get it fitted for you !
Newbie GT

Postby jacks-GTB » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Buy my KS-Tech CAI...heat shield, great filter & noise ;)
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby Manaz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 pm

kiahatsiu wrote:A reminder to all that newbie did install his own silicon inlet, which is quite an involved install.

Yes, he did, and that isn't a simply task. I've done a few things with my car (fuel pump, thottle body and MAF hoses, I did brake pads on the Outback recently), so I'm no mechanical retard, but I got someone else to do intake hose (they took the intake manifold off to do it), as they consider it easier to do it that way). Well done on this one Newbie - it should be giving you some confidence, and it should mean that people should be cutting you a little bit of slack.

Newbie - honestly, if you can do the silicon inlet, you'll find this to be a piece of cake. Doing my resonator removal was actually a "while you're down there" (minds out of the gutter boys!) event for me, as I had to take the airbox out entirely to get to the front O2 sensor connector, and while I had the airbox out, I took a look at it, and thought "yeah, that doesn't need to go back on". I then spent about 5 minutes using Google to ensure that there was no terrible issues I wasn't able to think of before I put everything back together without the resonator attached.

And as for a panel filter - just don't go with an oiled model (or if you do, be very careful not to over-oil it - but I don't actually think they're any better than a good dry filter anyway). Replacing it is literally 30 seconds work (unclip the airbox clips, separate the halves, the existing filter can be lifted out, a new one put in place, and the box clipped back together) and test it. If you like it, you've won. If you don't like it, swap the old filter back in (or grab yourself a new OEM one), and you've still won.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby blacktop™ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Don't get the HKS one...not sure why everyone loves them when they need to be modified to work correctly.

I'd get the APEXi version.

FYI, not all pod filters are obnoxious, but then again that comes down to personal preference. What one person may consider loud, someone else might think "meh, that's nothing". I've got a couple of pod filter/intakes for sale if you're keen :)
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby iGBH » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm

blacktop™ wrote:Don't get the HKS one...not sure why everyone loves them when they need to be modified to work correctly.

Can you expand on this? I'm waiting on my HKS to arrive which i thought was the way to go given how many people on this forum seem to be running with this filter.
iGBH

Car: MY09 (Gen4) Lib GTB

Postby Kody.B » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:54 pm

iGBH wrote:
blacktop™ wrote:Don't get the HKS one...not sure why everyone loves them when they need to be modified to work correctly.

Can you expand on this? I'm waiting on my HKS to arrive which i thought was the way to go given how many people on this forum seem to be running with this filter.

I'm running one with no issues. Seal is as good as a stock Subaru filter.
| 2004 Safety Pack 2.5i 5MT|
|2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Club Spec 9|
2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Kody.B

Car: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18714

Postby blacktop™ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:09 pm

iGBH wrote:

Have a search on here...they don't seal so well and the result is you get crap on the AFM over time.

You need to add foam/something similar to get it to seal correctly in your air box.

If you read the previous page in this thread there's a couple of guys talking about it.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Have noticed no one has mentioned K&N. Seems to be a really good foam seal with oiled cotton gauze filter element. About $65 from Repco or online. The trick is not to over oil. They don't need much and the AFM is easy to clean on these anyways. CRC electrical contact cleaner FTW.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby alessandro132 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:31 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Have noticed no one has mentioned K&N.

For a very valid reason - we're not supposed to use an oil-based filter. They clog the MAF and are a general PITA. Best sticking to a dry panel filter like Apexi, HKS etc.
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby senator » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am

Have used 2 HKS panel filters for a combined 110k’s over 4 years……. The car was exposed to unsealed dusty roads at least 3 or 4 times a month, no dust ingress past the filter, MAF never showed signs of dust build up.

I believe the seal issue was more related to the spring clips on the air box not providing the tension required to the seat the filter housing correctly…..easy fix.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby Newbie GT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:53 am

Manaz wrote:

Yes, he did, and that isn't a simply task. I've done a few things with my car (fuel pump, thottle body and MAF hoses, I did brake pads on the Outback recently), so I'm no mechanical retard, but I got someone else to do intake hose (they took the intake manifold off to do it), as they consider it easier to do it that way). Well done on this one Newbie - it should be giving you some confidence, and it should mean that people should be cutting you a little bit of slack.

Newbie - honestly, if you can do the silicon inlet, you'll find this to be a piece of cake. Doing my resonator removal was actually a "while you're down there" (minds out of the gutter boys!) event for me, as I had to take the airbox out entirely to get to the front O2 sensor connector, and while I had the airbox out, I took a look at it, and thought "yeah, that doesn't need to go back on". I then spent about 5 minutes using Google to ensure that there was no terrible issues I wasn't able to think of before I put everything back together without the resonator attached.

And as for a panel filter - just don't go with an oiled model (or if you do, be very careful not to over-oil it - but I don't actually think they're any better than a good dry filter anyway). Replacing it is literally 30 seconds work (unclip the airbox clips, separate the halves, the existing filter can be lifted out, a new one put in place, and the box clipped back together) and test it. If you like it, you've won. If you don't like it, swap the old filter back in (or grab yourself a new OEM one), and you've still won.

Cheers Rob
Newbie GT

Postby Newbie GT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:53 am

cosworth 20002278

Any one tried these ?
Newbie GT

Postby Shaheenis » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:19 pm

alessandro132 wrote:
Shaheenis wrote:Have noticed no one has mentioned K&N.

For a very valid reason - we're not supposed to use an oil-based filter. They clog the MAF and are a general PITA. Best sticking to a dry panel filter like Apexi, HKS etc.

Don't agree on this. I have used K&N oiled pods and panels and apexi dry pods over the past 10 years, never had a problem with an oiled up MAF. The oil when applied properly dries and does not contaminate the MAF. A thin pleated cotton gauze is always going to outflow foam (for a cleanable/washable option) it is just slightly more work and care required. Aftermarket dry panels are expensive and clog up just as quickly as stock items. Try blowing through a K&N versus a foam or dry and see which one has the least resistance. Each to their own.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:59 am

+1 to K&N.

There are some exaggerations here.

I've have in my noob days fitted a really oily K&N panel filter into my box. It was so oily that it dripped into my inner guard and left a layer of oil on the bottom of the air box

After 2 weeks of driving, there was no oil on the maf and no issues with AFRs or logging. With a filter that was practically dipped in oil (note: slight dramatisation).

On the other hand tiny dust particles that collect on the maf, due to dusty roads or prolonged service intervals - cause major discrepancies with the air mass readings. But even then it would have to be absolutely filthy to start causing noticeable issues with our GTs. I imagine N/As would be even more prone to actual issues.

Some people may also be confusing the temperature bulb attached to the maf, with the maf itself.

If anyone has a genuine case against K&N, please post some pics of oil on your maf.
Last edited by alexeiwoody on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Newbie GT wrote:cosworth 20002278

Any one tried these ?

Cosworth are fantastic in just about everything they sell. Having said that, it's just a stock spec air filter Newbie. You won't gain much noise or flow over another good brand.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific