STI oil filter - worth it?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: STI oil filter - worth it?

Postby BUDDAH » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:58 pm

<GB> wrote:
Manaz wrote:From reading, the STI oil filter is designed to cope with higher oil pressures. The use of wire mesh to support the paper element would support that theory.

this is correct, you would be racing and running your engine at higher sustained rpm, so higher volume of oil passes through the filter, also if you add thicker viscosity oil you end up with more pressure too, lots of racing peoples use thicker oil :) BULL SHIT LOW VISCOSITY FLOWS FASTER LOW VISCOSITY OIL IS FREE HP LESS FRICTION LOW VISCOSITY OIL REMOVES HEAT FASTER BECAUSE IT FLOWS FASTER ------------------------------------------------------------------ THICK VISCOSITY OIL MAY READ HIGHER OIL PRESSURE ONLY BECAUSE IT BUILD UP PRESSURE BECAUSE IT CANT FLOW AS FAST AS LOW VISCOSITY

also if it flows better it might rev up easier due to less restriction and if it flows better the filter bypass valve may not open as much as there will be less pressure drop across the filter so it might be safer to use in these applications.

I wonder if the media works as good to capture any contaminates as the stock one

have you emailed ryco to see what there pressure valve is rated at?

whats wrong buhdah?

GB you really must be stupid and have no fucking idea how oils /hydraulics work . Do you just make up this shit as you type :roll:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby <GB> » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm

BUDDAH wrote:
<GB> wrote:
Manaz wrote:From reading, the STI oil filter is designed to cope with higher oil pressures. The use of wire mesh to support the paper element would support that theory.

this is correct, you would be racing and running your engine at higher sustained rpm, so higher volume of oil passes through the filter, also if you add thicker viscosity oil you end up with more pressure too, lots of racing peoples use thicker oil :) BULL SHIT LOW VISCOSITY FLOWS FASTER LOW VISCOSITY OIL IS FREE HP LESS FRICTION LOW VISCOSITY OIL REMOVES HEAT FASTER BECAUSE IT FLOWS FASTER ------------------------------------------------------------------ THICK VISCOSITY OIL MAY READ HIGHER OIL PRESSURE ONLY BECAUSE IT BUILD UP PRESSURE BECAUSE IT CANT FLOW AS FAST AS LOW VISCOSITY

also if it flows better it might rev up easier due to less restriction and if it flows better the filter bypass valve may not open as much as there will be less pressure drop across the filter so it might be safer to use in these applications.

I wonder if the media works as good to capture any contaminates as the stock one

have you emailed ryco to see what there pressure valve is rated at?

whats wrong buhdah?

GB you really must be stupid and have no fucking idea how oils /hydraulics work . Do you just make up this shit as you type :roll:

ha ha youre really funny bro, I said if you use thicker oil you end up with more pressure the reason for this is a resistance in to its flow this resistance some of this resistance can be had with an oil filter... kind of like an air filter the factory one is restrictive... after market flows easier so less pressure drop... when people race cars they often use thicker oil.... so if you have a less restrictive media inside the filter the thicker oil can flow easier through it...

where did I say that thicker oil flows better than thin?

I never said thin oil wouldn't be better than thick and flow more I said the less restriction of the filter can help that very small amount

to be honest I might know more than yourself what credentials do you have smarty pants?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby <GB> » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:21 pm

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=suba ... B800%3B600

10-60 oil is rather thick to run though a factory filter when racing... maybe a high flowing one might help reduce the filter going into bypass... free up a very small amount of power... um um yeah mate!!

and tell me budah where did I say anything about oil temp and its effects with viscosity?
<GB>

Postby <GB> » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 pm

ill say it again and dumb it down
VVVVVV

this is correct, you would be "racing" and while you are "racing" you will be running your engine at higher sustained rpm, so while you're "racing" at "higher sustained rpm" you have more "volume of oil "that passes through the "sti filter", also if you add thicker viscosity oil cause youre "racing" you end up with more pressure due , " lots of racing peoples use thicker oil" :)

also if it flows better "through the sti filter that im talking about!!!! thicker or thin whatever oil you use!!!!!!!!!! it might rev up easier due to less restriction compared to a stock filter!!!! and if it flows better the filter bypass valve may not open as much as there will be less pressure drop across the filter so it might be safer to use in these applications.
<GB>

Postby Manaz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:46 pm

There's also the fact that when racing, your oil temperatures are going to be way higher than standard road use, and that also has an impact on viscosity.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby owen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 am

Manaz wrote:There's also the fact that when racing, your oil temperatures are going to be way higher than standard road use, and that also has an impact on viscosity.

Correct, although "racing" oils all claim to hold viscosity and oil pressure and all that crap. I've tested three different brands of oils on the track in my 4AGE now. Royal Purple (good), Nulon (good) and Penrite Racing (better out of the three). None of them however, kept their promise of "sheer free", "no pressure loss" etc. I saw my oil pressure drop to as low as 1.8 bar from 6 bar using Nulon, and Penrite Racing held it's pressure best at 3 bar after 7 laps at an almost constant 8000rpm on a 30 degree day.
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby <GB> » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 pm

owen wrote:
Manaz wrote:There's also the fact that when racing, your oil temperatures are going to be way higher than standard road use, and that also has an impact on viscosity.

Correct, although "racing" oils all claim to hold viscosity and oil pressure and all that crap. I've tested three different brands of oils on the track in my 4AGE now. Royal Purple (good), Nulon (good) and Penrite Racing (better out of the three). None of them however, kept their promise of "sheer free", "no pressure loss" etc. I saw my oil pressure drop to as low as 1.8 bar from 6 bar using Nulon, and Penrite Racing held it's pressure best at 3 bar after 7 laps at an almost constant 8000rpm on a 30 degree day.

Do you have a oil temp gauge and oil cooler, I'd say your oil temps are getting to high and it's losing viscosity and thinning out
<GB>

Postby Manaz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:30 pm

<GB> wrote:Do you have a oil temp gauge and oil cooler, I'd say your oil temps are getting to high and it's losing viscosity and thinning out

That's absolutely what happens, though the point that Owen was making was that the manufacturers claim that their racing oil products maintain viscosity at those higher temps.

I suspect what really happens is that they maintain viscosity BETTER than other products not designed for racing at higher temps, but not absolutely on their own.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby <GB> » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:40 am

Manaz wrote:
<GB> wrote:Do you have a oil temp gauge and oil cooler, I'd say your oil temps are getting to high and it's losing viscosity and thinning out

That's absolutely what happens, though the point that Owen was making was that the manufacturers claim that their racing oil products maintain viscosity at those higher temps.

I suspect what really happens is that they maintain viscosity BETTER than other products not designed for racing at higher temps, but not absolutely on their own.

The test for shear is not the same as oil loosing viscosity when it's too hot. But u are right some products are better at maintaining viscosity with out breaking down Owens oil might be fine once it cools down where cheaper oil might be stuffed !

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm
<GB>

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific