Power mods advice

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Power mods advice

Postby rada0469 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:18 am

Hi guys, I'm Dave in Perth, just got a lovely 07 Lib GT. New on here, but I can see there is just loads of awesome advice and knowledgeable folks. I've looked at a lot of info on here but thought I was ask you what would be the best power mods for about 5k? I love the vehicle but I find that garden variety Camrys and soccer mum 4WD's can make me work all too hard to stay in front. I'll do suspension and other handling mods down the track but I must address this issue of power first. My plan was always do a TBE and tune but will that be enough of a difference? Will I have enough cash left over to get any more out of it in this round of mods and if so what should I do? Thanks in advance.
rada0469

Car: 07GT

Re: Power mods advice

Postby Deep Heat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:31 am

My honest opinion is do the handling stuff first. Going fast around corners if much more fun that mashing the acceleration in a straight line.
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle

Postby OzSTi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 am

My first mod was a dump pipe and cat blended to the original system and a tune. Liberated at least 25kW. (163kW ATW)

I've since done more to all areas of the car but that first mod transformed the way the car felt.
Michael.
OzSTi

Car: '16 Mustang GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23470

Postby Boostaddict » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 am

All you have to think is about the intake and the exhaust restrictions.

TBE, Turbo inlet pipe, Pod, Inter cooler.

How far do you want to go??
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:06 am

Adjustable coil overs!

Then, down pipe and a Kido tune.
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby rada0469 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Boostaddict wrote:All you have to think is about the intake and the exhaust restrictions.

Thanks a bunch folks! As mentioned, I have identified my first priority is to get some power happening as the car feels sluggish. Its probably very typical power for this vehicle but I've come from V8s so I'm noticing the difference. Once I get things happening to an 'acceptable level' for now, I'll certainly move to handling areas. Boostaddict, can you tell me more about the turbo inlet pipe? Would it be worthwhile doing this at the same time as the TBE and tune? My budget is 5k so if I will fit in whatever I can to that.
rada0469

Postby rooby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Boostaddict wrote:All you have to think is about the intake and the exhaust restrictions.

+1

TBE, intercooler, tune would be a good start. You could do a pod filter if you want but the noise they make is not to everyones taste and unless you are going for high power I don't think they add all that much.
I would say things like 3 port boost solenoid, bov, turbo inlet pipe would be next on the list,
and if you want to spend a bit more you could consider a small turbo upgrade like a vf52 + fuel pump.

Part of it depends on what you buy.
You could get a relatively cheap exhaust & intercooler and have plenty left over for additional mods or you could go all out and buy a really expensive exhaust and spend most or all of your budget.
It also depends whether you install any of it yourself or pay for labour for everything.

Tuner choice is another factor, with some costing more than others.

I would say if you did all the install of parts yourself and used kido as your tuner you could do everything on that list for $5000 if you bought more affordable brands and a VF52 for the turbo.

You would be able to make 200atw with that I would say.

If you wanted to spend a bit more you could go a bigger turbo and injectors too.

If you aren't installing yourself though the labour to fit all this stuff would eat into your budget a bit and you would probably have to drop the turbo upgrade to fit under your budget.

I would also recommend getting some better brake pads with all this too (and preferably better discs too). No need to do calipers & lines etc. unless you really want to.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby rada0469 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 pm

@rooby, fantastic reply, much appreciated. Can you tell me more about the inlet pipe that was mentioned earlier?

In regards to install and sourcing parts, I certainly don't have the expertise to do any work myself and even if I did I don't have time (working a full time job AND studying). I have a reputable tuner in mind and have decided to go with a high quality TBE so I'm guessing that's going to be most of my budget. Might have enough left over for an IC and/or this inlet pipe.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.
rada0469

Postby rooby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 pm

An example of the turbo inlet pipe is viewtopic.php?f=68&t=19525

You can also get them from avo, perrin and other brands.

I would lean towards the intercooler before the inlet pipe because it means you can more safely up the boost.

A lot of these things are easy to install.
Most things are a pretty straight forward bolt on solution as long as you have some tools, jack & stands.
I find spare time to be the main limiting factor. I would rather spend my spare time doing something else.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby Boostaddict » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 pm

rooby wrote:An example of the turbo inlet pipe is viewtopic.php?f=68&t=19525

You can also get them from avo, perrin and other brands.

I would lean towards the intercooler before the inlet pipe because it means you can more safely up the boost.

A lot of these things are easy to install.
Most things are a pretty straight forward bolt on solution as long as you have some tools, jack & stands.
I find spare time to be the main limiting factor. I would rather spend my spare time doing something else.

Yep these are fine.

I have a Perrin inlet ,a hyperflow intake pod and a fmic on the intake side and a TBE on the exhaust side. I made 203kw atw on a hub dyno ( 190kw atw on a roller ) and blew the motor ( suspect there was previous issue tho ).

There are quite a few on here with up to 250kw atw on the stock motor with no dramas. So with all this talk about more power please make sure that you have a firm understanding of your previous history but also mods come the fact that you may blow the motor.
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby rada0469 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Awesome boostaddict, thanks again. Who is making over 200 on here? What other mods did they do over and above what you did to get that much? I've got to err on the side of reliability but would sure love to get near 200 without going inside the motor.
rada0469

Postby OzSTi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Dave, I guess you've checked out the 'Post your mods' section. There will be a lot of ideas there.

You'll also see most of us will have a link under our avatar to our Profile URL that will take you to the details of our cars.

Mine has been done in stages and I think the 172kW I got with the tune, TMIC and dump pipe was pretty good bang for bucks.

I've now added a new turbo (VF52) and it's making 184kW at a conservative 15.5psi. Next I'll do the mid-pipe and re-tune again, maybe with a little more boost, we'll see. For me, reliability and drivability have been the main priorities.
Michael.
OzSTi

Car: '16 Mustang GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23470

Postby rada0469 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 pm

[quote="OzSTi"]Dave, I guess you've checked out the 'Post your mods' section. There will be a lot of ideas there.

You'll also see most of us will have a link under our avatar to our Profile URL that will take you to the details of our cars.

OzSti, yep I've had a look through the mods section but there are literally thousands. Is there a way of limiting to folks with a similar model as mine? Thanks for the info re the link under the avatar. I have fairly limited tech knowhow and I'm learning all the time but I really appreciate the advice. Will try and look your link up and see what order you did things in but I'd be very keen to know how you approached things.
rada0469

Postby owen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm

The only way to get decent amount of power is with a turbo upgrade. Intake and exhaust with a tune is a waste of time and money if you're chasing over 200kw, because you'll find your intake, cooler and dump pipe won't fit your new turbo (which I can guarantee you'll get. Nobody is truly happy with 180kw in a 1600kg car. If they tell you they are, they're lying)

Do some research on different turbos, pick the one you want and then plan the supporting mods based on that. When you realise that your car no longer wants to go around corners, being on the chassis mods :)

Edit: I went down the route of chasing 200 on the stock turbo. Literally did every bolt on mod available and tried numerous tunes. All I can say is that's 6 months of my life I'll never get back
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby rada0469 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks Owen, very helpful. How do I find out if a particular turbo will fit the exhaust and TMIC I plan to put on in the first round of mods? The exhaust I plan to have fitted is very expensive so I'm glad for your info.
rada0469

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific