AOS install: advice required please.

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: AOS install: advice required please.

Postby muzza » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:30 am

bigBADbenny wrote:If you let your car idle and remove the oilcap, you'll get an idea of how much blow by your engine produces under no load at all.

A little blow-by comes out at idle - not masses, but I'm sure under boost it would be a fair bit more.

Got all keen on Sunday arvo pulled off the IC - then realised I didn't have enough 1/2 in fuel hose, and was missing one of the screw in hose tails for the SG AOS :oops:

But didn't waste the opportunity to identify the relevant hoses and take some pics with the IC out of the way to make it easier.
Placed the SG AOS and worked out a basic routing of the hoses. Good news is that I might not need to take off the IC again to fit the AOS up.

Bad news is that all the install pics I can find are for other models like STi imprezza etc - not ADM/JDM gen V etc.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 am

It's the same thing more or less, are you on a stock inlet?
The rearmost return hose on the stock inlet pipe get capped and that hose is joined with a y coupler to the other return hose just in front of the bov return pipe, via the AOS on the oil filler on the other side of the engine :)
Let's say it might be a good opportunity to install a silicone inlet, most of which deleted the rearmost return anyway.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby muzza » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:It's the same thing more or less, are you on a stock inlet?
The rearmost return hose on the stock inlet pipe get capped and that hose is joined with a y coupler to the other return hose just in front of the bov return pipe, via the AOS on the oil filler on the other side of the engine :)
Let's say it might be a good opportunity to install a silicone inlet, most of which deleted the rearmost return anyway.

Yes, I have a similar layout for pipes in my head - stock inlet on the Gen V is nothing like the Gen IV though the inlet manifold CC and head breather set-up appears quite similar.
But the low-mount turbo means the inlet pipe runs from the bottom of the air-box, straight to the front right lower corner of the engine. The Turbo-IC pipe is about 1m long and comes up the front, then the top RHS of the engine to the IC. Both the CC "clean air" pipes (from inlet to heads/CC) run down alongside the inlet pipe as steel pipes, connecting near the turbo inlet behind/below the radiator, and switch to rubber at the top of the engine.

The head breather crossover in hard plastic sits on the backside of the inlet manifold. The CC breather T's just above the crankcase with the PCV valve going into a short pipe into the back of the inlet manifold plenum (provides vacuum source). The other side of that T goes down to the inlet pipe pre-turbo.

Silicone inlet for Gen V is approx $300 I think - and a prick to replace by the looks -maybe easier from underneath though?

So I plan to grab the pipe from the head crossover breather, tee the CC breather into it under the manifold somewhere, then send that to the "dirty" side of the AOS.
The "clean" side pipe of the AOS then returns to connect to the pipes that run down to the pre-turbo inlet. One of those I can block off under the manifold.

So my airflow scheme is this:

Under Vacuum airflow: inlet>breather pipe>AOS clean>AOS dirty>head breather crossover/CC. (The PCV valve will suck fumes out of CC and draw fresh air in via heads to replace it as the factory system is meant to)

Under Boost airflow: CCV/heads fumes>head crossover/CC pipe>AOS dirty>AOS clean>breather pipe>inlet. (so blowby is cleaned before fumes push out into the inlet).
Muzza
muzza

Postby muzza » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:51 pm

AOS installed!

Gen V AOS install instructions to be found here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=33993

Found a moderate amount of oily grot in my IC when I cleaned it with a shellite rinse.

Install fine, now anticipating some smoother cleaner running with less oily grot coating the intake and adding excess carbon to the cylinders.
Muzza
muzza

Postby muzza » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:37 am

Found another brand of oil filler mounted AOS similar to (now unavailable) SG and the Grimmspeed units:

http://www.tomiokaracing.com/index.php/ ... ubaru.html

Looks like the stock oil cap goes back in the top and appears identical to the Prova unit.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/a ... -separator
There is only one kit left at RSD......
Muzza
muzza

Postby WIDELOAD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:34 am

Just a bit of a random update.
Found this diagram the other day, and I personally think it's the clearest example of CC/AOS routing on the net.

Currently my KAP can is set up as per diagram 2. But as soon as I pick up some extra bits it will be changed to the set up in diagram 3.

EDIT: Original post the diagram is lifted from. :mrgreen:
http://seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?p=94445
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby Yowie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 am

The "Ideal" catch can setup (3rd diagram) is what I use and recommend.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Ideal for a street car imho :P

Note that for cars with dual pcv system, the rear central crankcase vent is not used for AOS/CC.
The sump breather on the right rear is the correct pre inlet and PCV valve blow-by source.

A proper race car: single can & anti surge valve killerb: because high flow, oil return, high volume sump, better windage tray/baffle and extremely low oil change intervals.

Better still: hybrid or dry sump with both heads scavenged via ports on the lower cam covers.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific