Yet Another AVO TMIC

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Postby Arith » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 pm

adam wrote:nice write up jim.
out of interest do you still have (i'm assuming no) the standard panel filter in?

I swapped it out for a K&N panel filter on the 1st day, but will be moving to the HKS panel filter whenever it comes in (on order).

I've given a CAI or pod filter setup a long thought, but after hearing the sucking/whooshing noise from some of the other Liberty's, I'll probably pass. No more extra noise for me anymore, even if it means that's the main bottleneck for higher performance.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby adam » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Arith wrote:I've given a CAI or pod filter setup a long thought, but after hearing the sucking/whooshing noise from some of the other Liberty's, I'll probably pass. No more extra noise for me anymore, even if it means that's the main bottleneck for higher performance.

tell me about it...
the day i st(n)uck in the hks filter my wife said "there's something wrong with the car?"
i think a pod is gonna have to wait a while?
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby adam » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:48 am

Arith wrote:I've given a CAI or pod filter setup a long thought, but after hearing the sucking/whooshing noise from some of the other Liberty's, I'll probably pass. No more extra noise for me anymore, even if it means that's the main bottleneck for higher performance.

i was just going through some old posts and this made me chuckle :lol:
so how many mods have you done since these famous last words jim :lol:
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby Arith » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 pm

adam wrote:so how many mods have you done since these famous last words jim

Haha. Good find, Adam. Like many people who swear they are not planning to do mods and end up with mods, I too was idealistic in wanting a moderately modified car with minimal noise. :D But ya can't get the power without the accompaniment of the noise.

So after being seduced by the dark side of power, I've forgone the whole 'no noise' requirement and have gone the full hog. Blitz intake, K2 Gear canon mufflers, twin resonator centre pipe, down pipe! None of those mods say 'quiet'! :D Quite a change in direction for me!

Arith
-stickered-

Postby Boxer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Just noticed the 'sleeve' in this post that AVO suggested to remove - looking at the pics that would actually increase the inside diametre of the hose going onto the new intercooler. Therefore I'd be a little concerened about the hose pinching and having a crease when tightening the hoseclamp to try and make a larger hose fit a smaller pipe.

Couldn't you just trim the sleeve where the rib is to make it fit ?
Lifes pretty straight without twisties:

07 Obsidian Black GTB Tuned by STi Wagon 6MT
Boxer

Postby GTSPECB STI » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Boxer wrote:Just noticed the 'sleeve' in this post that AVO suggested to remove - looking at the pics that would actually increase the inside diametre of the hose going onto the new intercooler. Therefore I'd be a little concerened about the hose pinching and having a crease when tightening the hoseclamp to try and make a larger hose fit a smaller pipe.

yes that is what I would do
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby Arith » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:34 am

Heh-heh. You're more than welcomed. But this top mount was ordered during the days of Alan @ NextMod, and I think before AVO had a direct application for the Australian MY07+ Liberty. This was meant for the North American Legacy, which while running the same 2.5t engine, has various little differences. When I called AVO they were aware of the problem and simply instructed us to remove the sleeve. I think the top mounts meant for Australi are supposed to be sans the sleeve.

In any case, the hose will barely fit over the opening without the sleeve. I doubt any trimming would have made it fit.

Arith
-stickered-

Postby senator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:35 am

It’s still snug fit without the sleeve…… also it’s a better seal without the sleeve.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby fatfrog02 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:42 am

AVO instructions with the TMIC state to remove the rubber sleeve.
fatfrog02

Postby Arith » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:31 pm

fatfrog02 wrote:AVO instructions with the TMIC state to remove the rubber sleeve.

That's good to know they've updated the information for the Australian market. I had the instructions belonging to the North American Legacy and we were scratching our heads trying to figure out why it didn't fit until we finally called AVO.

Arith
-stickered-

Postby senator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Boxer wrote:Just noticed the 'sleeve' in this post that AVO suggested to remove - looking at the pics that would actually increase the inside diametre of the hose going onto the new intercooler. Therefore I'd be a little concerened about the hose pinching and having a crease when tightening the hoseclamp to try and make a larger hose fit a smaller pipe.

come to think of it that rubber sleeve is too soft to trim..... i think the sleeve was used to provide a air tight seal......
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific