AVCS VVT angle out of sync diagnosis MY07 GT B

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: AVCS solenoids cleaning MY07 GT B

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:50 am

Lets see some logs ppl!
I find it interesting that my faulty cam gear still works but can't hold VVT angle at certain steady revs.
It's just that I'd hate to replace them and still have issues due to the source of the fault being elsewhere.
Thus start with oil, then solenoids, then cam gear replacement.
Quoted @ C$550 cam gears, C$350 labour inc. timing belt etc. Complete timing belt kits are C$500...
Group buy cam gears/belt kits to save shipping anyone???
But definitely some time soon in the next 30K klm :-)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby jaydece » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Lets see some logs ppl!
I find it interesting that my faulty cam gear still works but can't hold VVT angle at certain steady revs.
It's just that I'd hate to replace them and still have issues due to the source of the fault being elsewhere.
Thus start with oil, then solenoids, then cam gear replacement.
Quoted @ C$550 cam gears, C$350 labour inc. timing belt etc. Complete timing belt kits are C$500...
Group buy cam gears/belt kits to save shipping anyone???
But definitely some time soon in the next 30K klm :-)

cant remember how many km's your car has done? But I believe you will need to get all the mechanical things checked thoughly 1st? aka meaning you will be spending $$$$ either way....

This will probably intail a timing kit service anyway? to eliminate all variables? then revert back to logging and/or checking for other known/unknown issues if the persistance pest remains....
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby <GB> » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 am

Who is fixing the bricked ecu?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 am

GB: Chiptorque, leave it to the experts.

JDC: 175K, next service is minor.
I'm rationalizing this as an addition to the upcoming timing belt service (220K?).
The only harm in bringing that forward is fiscal :D
bigBADbenny

Postby <GB> » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 am

bigBADbenny wrote:GB: Chiptorque, leave it to the experts.

I'm rationalizing this as an addition to the upcoming timing belt service (220K?).

nice! my ecu was pretty much bricked with that ecutec shit it had lol

id do the belt at the same time 175 isnt too early, i rather do them earlier in cars that have mods and get revved a bit from time to time, i did mine again, it would have had 4 now and olny 30k on the clock lol
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 am

Shaheenis wrote:Thanks dude. Not all of my symptoms are the same. I really only have rough idle/wobble that by no means is extreme, quite mild actually but I would expect in a fully serviced engine of it's age to run perfectly smooth, especially with no mods. Sometimes when accelerating part throttle and constant throttle, the acceleration isn't smooth but it is better under full noise. It is KiDo tuned so hopefully not a tune issue. I am getting the 100k service this week so I was planning on asking them to change plugs early and to use a 10/40 full synthetic. I have read ome posts on the legacy forum where mechanics are recommending against synthetic oil for these engines but perhaps they don't know what they are talking about. Does anyone use engine flush between oil changes?

Heath should be happy to check it out for you
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby jaydece » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 am

bigBADbenny wrote:GB: Chiptorque, leave it to the experts.

okay cool that is getting up there in km.. I totally understand the $$$ bit...but I think you are at the stage where mild/major work may need to be carried out to find the RCA ( root cause analysis ) of the fault?

With all the logging, changing roms and 1st hand checks...the next phase logically will be mild/major mechanical work...and at this stage cant be pin pointed to one source part(s) issue(s)?...

What I'm saying is: If it is a cam timing issue? or similar related? you may as well do the whole lot for peace of mind....I know $$$$ is a factor....but it will be money well spent especially if you are planning to keep the car and do more mods to it ...thats my 2.3.4.5 cents worth of info...

and lastly....sorry to hear about your bricked ECU.....very unfortunate....your tuner has done this many time(s) over so I'm sure he will assist you in getting it fixed at a cheaper than normal $$$ and fast...
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 am

Cheers, the Chiptorque service is very reasonably priced, they bench reflash lots of ECU's/ECM's from all over the world.
I didn't want to or even need to fess up to the briquet-ing, but thanks to expected banter between esteeemed members, I get to revel in forum sympathy... and or schadenfreude? :shock:
At least I can make an authoritative post on how to brick your ECM. :oops: :lol: :twisted:
Let my pathetic example be a warning to all!

As I mentioned, sorting the AVCS issue is an easy one to rationalize in the long term scheme of things.
Otherwise I'd just sell up and buy a Mazda6 diesel 6mt wagon (kinda sorta tempting lol)...
Last edited by bigBADbenny on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigBADbenny

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

jaydece wrote:and lastly....sorry to hear about your bricked ECU.....very unfortunate....your tuner has done this many time(s) over so I'm sure he will assist you in getting it fixed at a cheaper than normal $$$ and fast...

3 Bricked customers ECU's ever... one which was Kristians(the LC/FFS/CEL flash on knock patch may have been the issue), Taylors with the Ign being turned off by the dyno operator during a flash and another which was the owner shifting from N into P during a flash. I have my own ECU brick bench which I have also used for various cars(Mitsu+Subaru+GTR etc) but I do not have time before I leave home tomorrow for Tassie to flash the ECU for BBB. Normally I charge $75 for the fix :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am

That's a bummer, $125 less in my pocket!
Since we're off topic, what is the approximate ECM replacement total cost for Platinum Express Post insurance purposes? $2K-3K cover it if lost in transit?
bigBADbenny

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:That's a bummer, $125 less in my pocket!
Since we're off topic, what is the approximate ECM replacement total cost for Platinum Express Post insurance purposes? $2K-3K cover it if lost in transit?

$2600 for the ECU.

KiDo_Tuning

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Cheers! Or around $80 insurance both ways.
bigBADbenny

Postby brainy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Cheers, the Chiptorque service is very reasonably priced, they bench reflash lots of ECU's/ECM's from all over the world.
I didn't want to or even need to fess up to the briquet-ing, but thanks to expected banter between esteeemed members, I get to revel in forum sympathy... and or schadenfreude? :shock:
At least I can make an authoritative post on how to brick your ECM. :oops: :lol: :twisted:
Let my pathetic example be a warning to all!

As I mentioned, sorting the AVCS issue is an easy one to rationalize in the long term scheme of things.
Otherwise I'd just sell up and buy a Mazda6 diesel 6mt wagon (kinda sorta tempting lol)...

Sorry to hear about your brick. Sadly, these things happen and the only good thing to come out of this experience i guess is that at least there is a solution to the problem, even if it may be a slight inconvenience. Best of luck with it.

I also recall somewhere that this avcs issue that you are seeing could possibly be caused by the tune being too aggressive in the avcs. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it could also be something that you might be able to discuss with your tuner to investigate further as an option.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby Kekotic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm

brainy wrote:I also recall somewhere that this avcs issue that you are seeing could possibly be caused by the tune being too aggressive in the avcs. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it could also be something that you might be able to discuss with your tuner to investigate further as an option.

I thought he replicated the problem with the stock rom as well though? Or are you saying it can be permanent damage?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Brian. :-)

My guess is we wont know till someone takes the plunge, replaces the cam gears, and inspects the old ones to see where the damage/wear or blockage was occurring.
Our trusted source may be able to put us in touch with someone who got the issue sorted eg in a WRX.
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific