AVCS VVT angle out of sync diagnosis MY07 GT B

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: AVCS VVT angle out of sync diagnosis MY07 GT B

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Nice one!
It couldnt be more than 2 hours work, so I hope you didn't pay more than that!

I did the passenger side of an SG foz in 10 minutes, but the drivers side would be quite a bit harder due to piping and guards in the way, even more than a Lib.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Kekotic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm getting one of these OCV solenoids from celtic to fix my issue soon. For anyone wondering (not sure if it's mentioned on here) the part number is 10921AA080 (suits Left or Right side) and can also be found on ebay from a few US sellers.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby klam » Mon May 19, 2014 11:45 am

I'm not sure whether the issues I have in my EJ204 MT (non-turbo) is the same, the engine sometimes shudders if accelerating from 0 accelerator angle and from around ~1800rpm and especially when uphill. I've logged it and found out that the VVT are out of sync for a short period of time and then they adjust ok. While constantly accelerating, the RPM is not following it, but is rather fluctuating .. please look at the image. The yellow highlights the engine shudder (engine shake), at least I believe that is the problem I have. I'm thinking of replacing the OCV, but not sure which one is wrong, and not even sure whether replacing them would fix the problem. Idling is ok, I've changed the oil 5000km ago. I've taken out one spark plug before for inspection, and re-fitted back, I don't think so, but could wrongly inserted one cause this? I've never noticed this before, as normally when accelerating I have the rpms above 2000. From standstill I haven't noticed it yet, but previously I had a bit of a shake, but I think that would be more related to not enough pressing the accelerator pedal and/or gearbox (DMF)

What do you guys reckon? thanks/
vvt_out_of_sync.png
vvt_out_of_sync.png (143.23 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
klam

Car: Subaru Liberty 2006 4GEN MY06 2.0R

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Can you attach a log or a zipped log?
bigBADbenny

Postby klam » Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am

sure, see attached. thanks!
Attachments
ECU_Explorer_2014-05-18_ECU2.zip
couple of short drives with the 'shudder' detected
(222.88 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
ECU_Explorer_2014-05-19_ECU1 .zip
longer log
(247.49 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
klam

Postby klam » Thu May 22, 2014 12:14 pm

I've taken out the OCV's, they looked surprisingly clean, ran a solvent through them anyway. seemed to have improved, as the shudder has disappeared, but there are still slight differences in Intake VVT angles, (+/- 3degrees), but there are still some cases in the log file that show the difference of 10 degrees for a millisecond or so, especially when accelerating. Not sure what to do next, probably just observe it a bit longer and then maybe replace the OCV's anyway.
klam

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah apologies I havent got the laptop out yet, will do soon.
bigBADbenny

Postby <GB> » Fri May 23, 2014 4:26 pm

your battery voltage is a bit low
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby Manaz » Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 am

<GB> wrote:your battery voltage is a bit low

Is that in the zipped files (can't download them, damned hotel fraudband)? In the table he posted to the thread, battery voltage never below 12v, and is often up above 14v (which indicates the alternator is doing the right thing).
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Boostaddict » Sun May 25, 2014 10:11 am

I had a chat to my mechanic the other day and he told me a story of another subie owner who was having the same issue as i did with mine but symptoms were worse.

Had taken the car to a stealership and they had NO idea what it was. Had it for 1 week or so and couldnt find ANYTHING wrong at all with the car other then the symptoms. They hit the client with a current bill of $1500 for diagnostic labour with another $8000 invoice to remove and replace engine etc etc as they just simply had no idea what was wrong.

Went to my mechanic. He chucked the laptop on it. One bank +52 degrees timing the other zero.

Pulled both solenoids out and removed the buckets and cleaned them, put them back in, removed CEL and drove the car away in perfect functioning order . The customer was obviously rather pleased with my mechanic and promptly rang the stealership and ripped them a new ass hole.

The stealership actually rang the mechanic and was dumb founded that it was fixed so fast that they were silent on the phone and even agreed that maybe they should have noticed the timing was +52 vs 0.
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby SegR » Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 am

Great thread peoples. Does this issue have the potential to impact the H6 also?
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 am

SegR wrote:Great thread peoples. Does this issue have the potential to impact the H6 also?

Yes, seen a few of them with out of sync errors
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun May 25, 2014 11:23 am

Boostaddict wrote:I had a chat to my mechanic the other day and he told me a story of another subie owner who was having the same issue as i did with mine but symptoms were worse.

Had taken the car to a stealership and they had NO idea what it was. Had it for 1 week or so and couldnt find ANYTHING wrong at all with the car other then the symptoms. They hit the client with a current bill of $1500 for diagnostic labour with another $8000 invoice to remove and replace engine etc etc as they just simply had no idea what was wrong.

Went to my mechanic. He chucked the laptop on it. One bank +52 degrees timing the other zero.

Pulled both solenoids out and removed the buckets and cleaned them, put them back in, removed CEL and drove the car away in perfect functioning order . The customer was obviously rather pleased with my mechanic and promptly rang the stealership and ripped them a new ass hole.

The stealership actually rang the mechanic and was dumb founded that it was fixed so fast that they were silent on the phone and even agreed that maybe they should have noticed the timing was +52 vs 0.

Hopefully the $1500 bill was atleast partially refunded!
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Boostaddict » Sun May 25, 2014 2:03 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Boostaddict wrote:I had a chat to my mechanic the other day and he told me a story of another subie owner who was having the same issue as i did with mine but symptoms were worse.

Hopefully the $1500 bill was atleast partially refunded!

Customer simply refused to pay it as they couldnt diagnose it.

And to date, still hasnt paid.!!
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby klam » Tue May 27, 2014 12:06 pm

is the slight out-of-sync value between two intake valves ok when accelerating ? I'm talking about +/- 10 degrees... once the car reaches above 2000+ rpm or not accelerating heavily, the difference between them is around +/-3 degrees which I reckon is ok.
klam

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific