Clutches??

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Clutches??

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Click through to Flickr and swipe forward for the rest of the pics...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:30 pm

Fantastic! Thank you Ben :D. Much more detailed than I expected - will be great to pass on to Jim Berry.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Slightly sharper version.
If you (or I) dig back through the archives (or my PM's) iirc there is Jacksons Jim Berry reciept with all the detail or at least a reference number to jog Jim's memory.

I'm gonna have to sell something so I can get my piece of history too!
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Cheers Ben. I found that one among the Flickr ones and used it instead of the first picture.

It's clearly a 23cm clutch plate. But not sure about the step down though. It looks more like 2mm instead of the other option (14.6mm - which would go with a 24cm clutch plate anyway, according to Jim).

Yeah a receipt would be fantastic. I'm not sure where to look though - I've already looked through the search results as far back as they go.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:14 am

Go nuts :)

Put "Berry" in the search these results box...

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=4977
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 am

Ok, the closest I got was in this current thread. There are some good pictures on Jacksons Clutch thread, but no details.

Would you still have his PM from around 26 Sep 2012?

by bigBADbenny » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm
Great, thanks! 
From Jackson: "yeah its a pull type  " Jackson kindly gave me his JBRC invoice number for Jim to reference...
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:59 am

Seems Mr Berry will be a very busy man.
I too am trying my best to get this information with not a great deal of luck thus far as mine is an 07 h6
as far as I can work out with research its a 240mm but have no idea if its stepped and whether its pull or push. Research is not my specialty
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:06 pm

Alright, so Jackson got the Invoice number. Jim Berry didn't have any details on it unfortunately. But Ben's pictures will help, emailing Jim Berry him now.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Basic specs should be fine... Using that search it seems he can mix n match from available compatible components.
Eg modified Sachs and or carbonetics discs, modified Exedy pressure plates etc...
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:54 pm

It sounded like he didn't have any details, sigh.

His reply to the pics (confuses things more imo):

Thanks for the pics.The clutch shown is an early five speed type but I cannot be sure as it is a cover assembly that has been pulled apart (the rivets are not the originals) and all the pics do not show the front or top of the clutch so I cannot see the brand or diaphragm number. The flywheel is also off an earlier model which leads me to believe it has been interfered with in the past. Your flywheel should be a two piece one not to be confused with a twin mass which is a different kettle of fish. You can also see from the pics that the flywheel has been stone ground which is not the factory finish so this confirms that it has been repaired at least once before. 

It is also evidence of a massive oil or grease contamination leading to the second failure which if not fixed properly will inevitably lead to a third failure.

However, yes it is a 230mm pull type and if it is the same as yours we can do it. Unfortunately the Sachs unit you asked about will not fit as it is a 240mm one.

IF  this is the same as yours The price of the kit upgraded to 2700lbs ( std is 1800lbs) with organic driven plate is $ 950.00 plus gst and freight for a kit which comprises exchange cover assembly.driven plate, release and spigot bearing, and exchange flywheel machined.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:13 am

Not a bad price.

I should get my arse into gear and get one as well. I'm still on stock clutch at almost 125k with a bit more power than stock.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 am

Mee too except 220k :wink:
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:30 pm

An update for those who are waiting for more information on the clutches (either from Jim Berry or generally what fits). Basically, you need to pull your clutch out to be sure what you have. There are too many differences. Not just between PreFL (dual mass flywheel) and postFL (single mass flywheel), but also eg 07 to 08 cars. Even Exedy don't know (both their online clutch finder and speaking to them in person). Apparently MSR said that every 08 Liberty GT 6-speed that he has worked on, has 230mm clutch disc...he doesn't understand why...06/07 have 240mm.

Jim Berry is a great guy, always more than happy to help and have a chat. He confirmed the Exedy swaps for our cars used to be good, but are now very average. That explains why forum members on here used to be happy with them. Sachs only makes a 240mm one, so that's not an option for Jim Berry to modify if you have a 230mm one. Jim Berry will make you something top quality, but you have to know what you have. He spoke in length about what every other clutch builder does bad/cheaply. You may pay a bit more for him, but I've come away thinking very highly of him.

EDIT: And although he is semi retiring in 3-4weeks, he said he has a nice workshop setup in Stanthorpe where he is moving to. It's just that there will be a 1 month break while he moves. He said he'd still be doing Mitsubishi and Subaru, just not 'that European rubbish' lol. So don't worry if you don't get one ordered in the next few weeks.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Appreciate the info I might still express my interest to him and let him know when I have time I will rip everything apart and see whats what

Thanks again Tom
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:50 pm

My car is going in today to have a Jim Berry clutch & new centre diff installed :D.

I hadn't even mentioned to the dealer who I wanted to supply a replacement clutch. But the service guy said 'ah, Jim Berry?'......haha they know him :lol: . Turns out he did their WRX race car clutch, and they said he's excellent.

I'm away for 3 weeks, so they have lots of time to work on it.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to 2.5T engine specific